Search results

1. OldSch00l

DAC Options

Hey Gang, So I have had an original Bifrost for a good 6(+?) years that I self-installed the 'uber analog' upgrade in, and I have had the itch to upgrade one of the components in my main system. I definitely like it, but it is really the only discrete DAC that I have used and I don't know if I...
  2. OldSch00l

New MC Cart - DL-301 mkII vs AT-OC9/III vs AT 33EV vs DV 10x5

Hey gang, so I have been thinking that I am going to need to be replacing my current cartridge (Denon DL-301 mkII), as it has been in use for many years and I have to imagine at this point it has surpassed it's expected life. I really don't even have a good estimate for how many hours are on it...
  3. OldSch00l

Beveridge Model IIs - Milwaukee, WI

No affiliation, just happened to be browsing and noticed these. Not something you see every day! :eek: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/5909395641.html
  4. OldSch00l

Epoxy/Glue for AR9 Upper Crossover

So I am thinking that this weekend I am going to tackle something that has been bothering me since I recapped the crossovers in my AR9s. At the time I did it a year or two ago I was working with a hot glue gun, which is what I used to reattach the upper crossover to the inside rear of the...
  5. OldSch00l

Ikea Gear Stand and Vibration

So I am moving at the end of the month and I have been trying to come up with a new home for my audio gear, as I currently have it built into the living room closet where I live now. I have been leaning towards some sort of credenza as that seems to be a popular choice, and I require that it be...
  6. OldSch00l

Pi2 As a Media Center - Best Software for Audio?

So I just got myself a Pi2 to use as a media center and I have been looking into the best route to take as far as what software to run. I first have to say that I have been awed by just how much performance you get out of this little thing, I never would have believed it without actually seeing...
  7. OldSch00l

Ubered My Schiit

I recently received an Uber Upgrade module for my Bifrost as a birthday present and installed it Monday night. The installation part was very quick, however getting the thing back together is another story. The 3 LEDs for the front panel have fairly long leads that bend easily and unless they...
  8. OldSch00l

Different Results from Speed Measurement Apps

So I got myself a new Atma-Sphere belt for my Empire based on numerous recommendations from other AK members, and with the thought that my speed was off. What I ran into in the process of trying to set the speed correctly was that the 2 different apps I used to measure it gave me significantly...
  9. OldSch00l

HH Scott 355R Safety Mode

Hey gang. So last night we had a power outage in my neighborhood and when the power came back on I noticed that my trusty HH Scott 355R receiver that I use in my bedroom system will no longer leave "Safety" mode after I power it on. Ususally there is just a short time delay and I hear the relay...
  10. OldSch00l

CometCKO is a Gentleman and a Scholar

I had been working on a plan for my final round of restoration on my turntable, with the primary goal being upgrading/restoring the main bearing, when I came across Frank's posts on his use of Lignostone as a thrust plate. In one of them he mentioned having some left overs so I messaged him to...
  11. OldSch00l

Schiit Upgrade Modules

One of the big selling points of the higher tier Schiit products is that they advertise them to be modular and upgradeable. As a Bifrost owner I have been waiting anxiously to see what they come up with, and yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find that the first upgrade module has been...
  12. OldSch00l

Objectivist Flame Bait

No, not the Randian kind, this isn't the correct forum for that! :D I'm not sure if there is a rule about this sort of thing, but there was another rather long thread recently regarding the use of tone controls. Predictably, that one has since been closed down. However, after expressing my...
  13. OldSch00l

Capacitor Values

So I am going to be ordering some new caps for my speakers, and since I can't find exact values for some of them I am going to have to do some combining. I am wondering if there is any technical difference between using 2 caps in parallel and 3 caps in parallel, and if one way is theoretically...
  14. OldSch00l

The Empire v3.0

So I have an Empire 208 that I have been slowly modifying, which I have previously detailed HERE. Over the past few days I have given it the most extensive upgrade/modification to date! This included refinishing and clear-coating all of the metal parts, deadening the plinth with rope caulk...
  15. OldSch00l

Clear Coating for Aluminum Empire Turntable

So I have found that my Empire collects fingerprints very easily. I'm not sure if it is actually being tarnished, or if it is the oils collecting in the tiny grooves that result from brushing/polishing, but they have started to build up since I rebuilt it some months ago. I am going to be...
  16. OldSch00l

Linn-Style Tonearm Suggestions

Somehow or other the Linn Basik Plus arm that I mounted to my Empire 208 has developed a bearing issue (I have a suspicion that it was the turntable cover that I had made), so I have been considering options to replace it. Since I have machined the plinth of the Empire to accept the Linn...
  17. OldSch00l

Content For Now...

Now that I have mostly gotten my main system how I want it I figured it was time to post some pics! (Pardon the slight grain, they were taken with a cellphone...) I installed a lot of the components in the closet in the corner of the living room, a pair of beefy interconnects run into the...
  18. OldSch00l

Can someone ID this large speaker? EV Georgian? Something else?

So I was at a friend's house last night, and she was showing me a new bike she got that was in her garage. My attention quickly turned to this speaker once I noticed it in the corner, it is some kind of large corner horn, with an Altec horn mounted in the top. There also appears to be a Jensen...
  19. OldSch00l

Kenwood L-07C Gremlin

My faithful (until now) L-07C preamp suddenly shut itself off a few minutes ago, I was watching a movie at the time. I didn't hear whether the relay clicked or not when it happened. It also shut the 2 amps off because they are chained for remote power from the preamp. I turned the power...
  20. OldSch00l

Good Schiit

So my Bifrost was delivered last night... :banana: After spending the night listening to it I am blown away! I really wasn't quite sure what to expect, could it really make that big of a difference from what I had previously been using? The answer is a resounding YES! Before the Bifrost I...
  21. OldSch00l

Bi-Amping Question

So I have been thinking lately that I would like to try bi-amping my speakers. The question I have is, how does one go about ensuring that both sections are running at comparable levels? I want to try a tube amp (or pair of them) for the mid/upper. I have been eyeing some Dynacos, an ST-70...
  22. OldSch00l

Now I Know How a Heroin Addict Feels

After getting to the point where I feel I have a fairly nice setup, last night I had my old man bring over some of his choice albums from his extensive vinyl collection. We listened to some of my favorites like Mofi Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus, Hendrix - Electric Ladyland, Van Morrison...
  23. OldSch00l

Empire 398 Project

So some months ago I set off on trying to find a nice turntable on a budget to add to my system, as I was only working with a DJ turntable made by a company called "ION" (it wasn't very good). While discussing this with my old man one day, he said he would be willing to give me his Empire to fix...
  24. OldSch00l

Putting A Turntable In A Closet?

Hi all, I have been considering moving all of my equipment to a closet in the living room. My concern is the turntable, I have had a few people tell me this is a bad idea due to the resonance of the chamber. I am also curious if it would make any difference to have the door open or closed during...
  25. OldSch00l

First TT Setup - Seeking Guidance

So I have finally gotten to the point that I am ready to start buying parts for a TT setup, and I am looking for some advice... I have an Empire 398 that I plan on mounting a Linn Basik Plus to as I understand it can just be bolted on with no additional modification required. I intend to get...
Back
Top Bottom