Search results

1. M

Pioneer PL-220 Tips

If you took the bottom off to access the speed controls, you may have not placed the component that moves the arm in the correct location. If I remember correctly, from a similar model, you have to get the pin that goes within the curved cutout on the bottom between a plastic arm and metal...
  2. M

Comet?

Maybe take a bunch to a car wash and spread them out on the concrete. Hold each one down with the heel of your boot and pressure wash through the various cycles. Sorry. Avoiding work.
  3. M

Comet?

I always thought putting a sharpened pin, maybe knife-edged very fine point, vertically mounted in front of the cartridge would require less effort in groove cleaning. Place it where the Shure stylus brush is. Maybe put at an aggressive angle to really dig out anything from the groove while...
  4. M

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

One of our local Goodwill stores told me they are putting the better stuff out on their auction site. It didn't stop me from stumbling upon a VG Technics SL-1300 with a very good condition AT-12sa shibata. I'm not sure it was great deal at $130. It didn't stop me from buying and enjoying as...
  5. M

Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

Thanks for the input on tube selection as to your choice in design. I was merely curious. I got the Jan Philips 6sj7wgt tubes at a price that even eBay couldn't match. 3 glass tubes and 2 Jan Philips 6sj7 metal for a couple of bucks.
  6. M

I thought I'd give a followup as I have changed things a little in my setup. I still am liking this amp very much though I don't have any other tube amp experience to compare to. I had been using a Marantz 2265 in my home office space (spare bedroom) and have had a Sansui 2000a (actually sort...
  7. M

Spin Clean MK IIs on eBay for ~$60..

Listen Up in Colorado Springs, and possibly the ones in Denver, has them for $39.99.
  8. M

Saw but did not buy. Concept 16.5 for $100 at the flea market in Colorado Springs. The guy was near a power outlet and had speakers for testing. Heavy bugger.
  9. M

I stopped by one of the Goodwill stores yesterday, a day after I had already been there. I figured since I'm driving by I'd stop in again. I figured the place would be packed with people stopping after work. There weren't too many people there oddly. Maybe not a steal, but found a pair of...
  10. M

I haven't listened extensively with any headphone. I have plugged in my Pioneer SE-30 and Grado sr60i for brief moments and only with the Diana Krall Live in Paris CD. I'm really into the live sound that CD presents in which it sounds great with or without headphones and this amp. Later this...
  11. M

My MP 301 MK III arrived today. I got both the 6L6 and EL34 tubes with it. The EL34's do produce some hum when I plugged my Grado 60i's into it which I don't hear with the 6L6's. My biggest test was with what speakers to use with it. CD and SACD played through it via a Sony DVD/SACD player...
  12. M

Agreed. Fully. However I do have stuff I wish I would have walked away from, or had brought headphones to test. For example, I have a very nice condition (external & lights) Pioneer SX-6000 that kind of plays out one channel. $15 paid, no returns from DAV thrift.
  13. M

Saw, but did not buy, at a thrift on the south end of Colorado Springs. A guy (estate sale & storage locker buyer?) has some old Advent speakers. Tall, wide, but not very deep. Didn't look at the model. heavy-ish things they were and in need of foam. He also had a Pioneer SX-780 that either...
  14. M

Picked up two pair of Pioneer SE-205's for $4.99 ea. Both work quite well. I like the SE-30's I picked up about 6 months ago (for $4.99) better.
  15. M

Just picked up a pair of JBL 4310 speakers for $30 at Arc. There was another pair at the same price that I left for someone else to enjoy. The others were a little more beat up. Only had a brief chance to plug them in and give a listen. So far, I really like them! EDIT: Of course, it...
  16. M

It may not be a great find, but for $10 I picked up a Sansui 551 at the DAV. Doesn't need a deoxit either as all switches/pots are noise free. It looks to have been serviced at some point in the past as some of the caps appear newer-ish. That, and a sticker from some service place in...
  17. M

Just returned my Pre-Christmas gift.........., THE M97eX!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've only had the PL-4 for 1.5 weeks at the moment and haven't done much more than try a few cartridges on it and deoxit the speed control. When I put the M97xE on the PL-4, it just doesn't like the angle the arm ends up being. VTF would have to be around 2.5+ grams...
  18. M

What turntable did you buy for $10 or under?

Pioneer PL-4 for $5 at the local flea market. It came with an AT-LS400 cartridge in need of a stylus. A little Deoxit on the speed adjust and holds speed very well. The cover is not the prettiest though. EDIT: Add to that a Pioneer PL-10 for $6.49 missing the headshell.
  19. M

The term "Audiophile" has always meant to me, though not in a correct sense, someone who is always tinkering around to some form with their audio gear. I remember my uncle constantly tinkering with the very nice gear he acquired in the mid-late 70's while in the Navy. Given that with the M97xE...
  20. M

Personally, I think it depends a lot on the system you use too. I really dislike this cartridge through either of my Marantz systems (2265 and PM-64II using the 'direct' feature) whether it is through the built in phone stage or my ART or Yaqin 22b stages. There I prefer either my Ortofon 2M...
  21. M

First post. I also found a Sansui 2000 at GW, but for 24.99. Missing volume and FM/Aux/etc knob. Still has blue protective plastic over the chrome face parts. Sounds pretty good but will still attack pots with deoxit.
Back
Top Bottom