Search results

1. D

Look at what Fedex did to my first Barter Town sale

In my opinion, getting the packaging done right so that it shows up OK is totally on the shipper. I understand that FedEx and UPS guys handle packages rough... but I'm gonna tell you from my conversations with our daily FedEx driver- their jobs totally suck for the most part. I know that might...
  2. D

Rebuilding a Unit From a Smoking Household

I have had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and distilled water. Spray it onto your parts, work a small mascara brush or q-tip into the hard to reach bits, and blow it off with compressed or canned air.
  3. D

Audiosource AMP-100 Preamp Needs/Question

Since this amp is used on my desktop for listening/monitoring, I think I can get away without meeting exactly the 1.5Vrms figure for the Amp 100 inputs. I rarely turn the volume up past 50% and usually I have my output level set around 75% in Windows anyways so as not to keep pegging the LED...
  4. D

Hi Larry, thanks for your reply. It sounds like I was on the right track as to what this amp will need. Right now I think the 2 Inputs are just fine, and I don't have any real issue with switching cables around manually if I need to switch my source; so I don't think a preamp will be in order...
  5. D

Anyone in the Dayton area want to give recap tutorial?

Just to throw my two cents in - the electronic theory and schematic reading is really important but I want to emphasize that good soldering skills are a must before attempting a project like a recap. Get yourself a good iron and practice soldering and desoldering some junk components to a junk...
  6. D

is there a standard troubleshooting process?

Kneedeepinit, do you have an o-scope and a signal generator? If you don't turn up anything power supply-side you could inject a signal into it and check at some test points in that manual for a signal to narrow down where the fault is.
  7. D

Discharging Capacitors...Again

Yeah, probably not practical, just a lot easier to use a high-wattage resistor and check it with a DMM.
  8. D

Discharging Capacitors...Again

I wonder if one could make a little tool with an LED and a resistor that would let you watch the LED dim out as it discharged the cap; could make for a nice little DIY project.
  9. D

Old Fluke 27 - What a tank!

Fluke is all I use at work. They are simply the best meters made.
  10. D

Sonneteer seeking integrated amp suggestions

Personally I prefer an integrated over separates, but the question becomes what additional features beyond a preamp and power amp should go into the integrated. I think a great idea would be to offer different levels of features based on the price point of the integrated. Your base model...
  11. D

Oh one thing I also forgot to mention is that the 1212m is also piped to an Ashly GQX 3102 EQ (although I rarely enable it - turns out its probably more EQ than I really need for listening but it will also be moved to the studio rig eventually.)
  12. D

I'm trying to get a definitive answer to a question I've had for a while now about my AMP-100 - is it best to use a preamp with this amplifier? Some forum posts and things I've read indicate that if the source signal is low enough that it would be a good idea to use one so that you don't have...
  13. D

Thermal Paste- will CPU thermal paste work on Amp?

I use Dow Corning 340 Heat Sink Compound; messy stuff but it works well. Not sure how available it is as I get it from a supplier from my day job.
  14. D

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR - Thoughts?

I almost sprung for the A.J.-designed woofer that comes as a part of the whole package when I bought them, but apparently from what reviews I have read, it doesn't sound that great. I'm looking at the Dayton 12 incher from Parts Express instead; I think it'll be a perfect match for them.
  15. D

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR - Thoughts?

I bought a pair of these speakers on sale from Worst Buy back in May, and am powering them with an Audiosource AMP-100 through an Ashly GQX-3102 EQ, with my PC tower and EMU-1212m sound card as a source (FLAC only baby!) So far I'm pretty stoked about how they sound. They are a bit weak on...
  16. D

Desoldering Iron Advice

I have been using the RS bulb and iron for a few projects now and I think it is excellent for what you spend on it. I've never had issues with heat; in fact just the opposite - it heats up joints very quickly and you want to minimize contact with it or you will lift the pad. Also, fluxing the...
  17. D

The Absolute Sound Editors Choice Awards - 7 integrated Amps for less than $1000

I'm a big fan of that Audiosource AMP-100 that gets recommended in the modern amps thread... but perhaps at less than $100 it was below the threshold for this comparison?
  18. D

Amazing $50 3 Tube Preamp

Sounds good, thanks. Ive got one of those nice rack-mountable Hammond rigs that would make a gorgeous case for this and one of the Tripath/Shure power amp combos. Now I'm thinking about shoving the new Hagtech Bugle2 in there too for an all-in-one DIY asskicker!
  19. D

Amazing $50 3 Tube Preamp

Definitely looking to get one of these... Anyone know offhand what the input sensitivity/voltage specs are? I was wondering if this would be suitable as a phono preamp or if its only useful with a line-level signal.
  20. D

Revenge of the Cassette

I'm seeing more and more cassette-only releases popping up in record stores these days. Now there are entire cassette-only labels doing releases regularly. It might be just a "fad" for now but if I recall, that's what they were saying about vinyl's resurgence in the early 2000's...
  21. D

Need a new/restored tape deck

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable place to get a serviced, restored, ready to rock vintage cassette deck; or if anyone can recommend a decent-priced modern deck that is a good performer as well. I'm looking for a good deck to use for home recording. Basically I'll be...
  22. D

Noob Soldering Iron Tip Question

This. Hakko's are the best!
  23. D

DIY Vintage Stereo Console

This is a pretty cool idea! Have you ever thought of doing one with a full set of components? (Receiver, tape deck, EQ, TT...)
  24. D

240v Euro plug to 120v US plug conversion, possible?

You would need to change more than the power cord and the transformer, as I'm assuming whatever rectification going on in the power supply past the transformer is designed for 50Hz and not 60Hz like US power frequency. It will probably be easier to use some type of step-up transformer to bring...
  25. D

What's The Have To Have In Soldering!

Hakko Soldering Irons are the best. Don't buy anything else. I've had really good luck desoldering boards with the Radioshack bulb iron. You need to keep a thick soaked sponge nearby and clean the tip off well after every desolder but I think it works fantastic for the price..
Back
Top Bottom