Search results

1. Miketheman

Column II Internal arrangement

Wow, I'm really impressed that you nailed the specs on the Eminence woofer vs. the original woofer that well. If you can't see much difference in frequency response between them that's definitely a job well done :) Then I have to ask, I remember you saying that you didn't much care for the...
  2. Miketheman

Column II crossover upgrade

Thanks for helping, at least now I've sorted the ohms out :) Your assumption regarding original volume is pretty much spot on, I've measured the insides of my cabinets and got approximately 74 litres. But then I have not considered volume taken up by drivers etc, så the actual volume will be...
  3. Miketheman

So I'll try to dust of my old thread a little now :) I've come across a problem with the impedance of my woofers, it turns out that the woofers in one of the speakers are rated at 4 ohms while the other two are 8 ohm!! :sigh: I haven't discovered this problem until now and my guess is that...
  4. Miketheman

are the various EMITs Different sonically?

I can imagine that those two sound different since there are so many years between them. This difference may also be due to different crossover components and setups :) But i guess all Infinities have their characteristic sound, whether older or newer. And I woulnd't say one is better than...
  5. Miketheman

Kappa 9's finally right!!!

That sounds like a cool and unique feature hehe, maybe you should have kept them that way :D
  6. Miketheman

are the various EMITs Different sonically?

I know for a fact that Infinity upgraded the magnets etc as they came up with new models over the years. My guess is that this difference is definitely audiable although I've only heard the RS-EMIT and the Kappa-EMIT.
  7. Miketheman

These Piezos definitely got hugely overshadowed by the EMIT:s i think, maybe for good reasons but i still think those piezos sound damn good :) Are they as lively on your Monte Carlos as they are on the Columns?
  8. Miketheman

Kappa 9's finally right!!!

Nice to hear that you've sorted out the sound, love the looks and size of Kappa 9's :) What was it in the sound that proved odd?
  9. Miketheman

Infinity Reference 61 mkII

Hi Well, those aren't really from the classic Infinity-breed if one may call it that. But of course that dosen't automatically mean that they are not good, I've never heard them but i see lots and lots of them for next to nothing here in Sweden :) If you are on the hunt for some good...
  10. Miketheman

Thank you very much! :) I'll sure write these values down since they are my only reference really. I'll see if i can find those W1038R's anywhere in Sweden. If not, I'll try looking in to the possibility of bying them from the US or finding some other woofers with similar specs. Will also...
  11. Miketheman

Monitor IIa question

We demand pictures! :) I'd love to see the back of the woofers on these as well as the internals and filters! I first wanted to suggest that you also bypass the fuse on them since this opens up the lower bass and bass details very much! (sure did on my at least :)) But since these...
  12. Miketheman

THANK YOU very much for clarifying this! :) I've been close to bying a pair of Qb:s since i was willing to take a chance with them, good thing i didn't. When i bought the Columns my No1 priority was to make them 100% original, but now I'm not so sure about that anymore. The original...
  13. Miketheman

Can't find QLS1's

Isn't that what you in the US call blasphemy? :D No but seriously, good luck with your hunt. Sure would like to own a pair of those myself, one thing is for sure; I'd never let them go :)
  14. Miketheman

EMIT Tweeters vs. Aurum Cantus

I've read a lot about ELAC:s ribbons being very good. But my guess is that those are expensive as well, even though they utilize their less expensive ribbons in cheaper models. Thought about EMIT:s from the newer RSX000-series, for example RS5000? Don't know how hard they are to come by in...
  15. Miketheman

Monitor IIa question

Nice :) This thread makes me regret selling my WTLC:s since they were in amazing condition and 100% original. Also liked the sound from them very much and the Walsh-tweeter definitely gave the upper range that extra edge. I however liked them the most for their appeal, incredibly cool...
  16. Miketheman

Infinity Column II with glass tops and manual-original owner

I'm very happy to read that people still pick up these old speakers and care for them, even though not considered the best Infinities. But presumably faar, faar from the worst :) Just finished my total restoration of my pair and what can i say, the sound is marvelous! BPSHEEP on this forum...
  17. Miketheman

Now THIS is what i call a restoration guide! I'll be sure to read all of it in detail soon :) Regarding the internal wiring of the midrange cabinet I agree with you, don't think that my thicker wires do that much difference at all. This is mostly for peace of mind i guess, so are many other...
  18. Miketheman

Sure would be nice to know how these original woofers compare to many of the replacement ones. For example the ones BPSHEEP is using :) I read that the original ones have less travel. This kind of puts me in a dilemma since I'd love original drivers but would choose the replacement...
  19. Miketheman

QLS-1 Crossover Recap- experts opinions welcome-

Very nice :) I've had the exact same idea regadring the baskets, only difference is that I'll use Bitumen pads instead.
  20. Miketheman

Thanks, glad i could inspire someone and you should definitely give these old speakers another go by recapping them :) Don't forget to bypass the fuse, it will open up the bass in a wonderful way! Are your woofers original? I'd try pushing the cones from the side from different angles...
  21. Miketheman

Wow Thats some difference in the woofer inductors! Guess that's kind of good news though, at least according to your calculations since they are a lot closer to 1,78mH now hehe. Are both of them this much off spec? Very intersted to see both pictures and some values from your work :)
  22. Miketheman

Ok some recapping now :) The filters, new wiring but still the old crappy caps and resistors.. There tweeters really don't look like much at all, until you hear them that is! Opened up the midrange cabinet to find that the midrange is wired with some seriously small...
  23. Miketheman

Okay :scratch2: So Infinity "compensated" for a possible hole in the frequency response between the bass and midrange by basically boosting the db up to 150Hz? I'm not an expert at this by any means but that sounds like i rather strange solution since the missing frequencies don't come...
  24. Miketheman

Thanks :) They'll be here by tomorrow if I'm lucky (it's 9:20pm here right now so I'll be going to sleep soon). But as soon as they arrive I'll post some pictures and tear the cabinets open, really excited right now! By the way, what kind of woofers are you using? :) I'm on the hunt for...
  25. Miketheman

Infinity Primus 162 makeover.

DEFINITELY an improvement :)
Back
Top Bottom