Search results

1. basicblues

Refoaming Norman labs 83s

Yeah, perhaps a little bit... :yes:
  2. basicblues

I have never seen a pair of these.

Probably should have grabbed them, there was money to be made or rare speakers to own. Unfortunately, most people haven't ever seen them and knew nothing about them. The seller will pay roughly 15% on the $800 price tag or $120 bucks in eBay/Paypal fees, so yeah, you probably could have beat...
  3. basicblues

The first version Norman Lab model 12 surfaced around 1978, the lower cabinet had sharper corners but essentially the same, the upper hi-frequency post was vertical and had 5 identical Philips tweeters installed, no midrange. I would very much like to see pictures of the speakers you...
  4. basicblues

These speakers sold for exactly the price I had in mind. I didn't want to say what I thought they were worth before the auction ended. Obviously, anything for sale is worth what someone is willing to pay. I've only seen a handful of the Norman Lab model 12b for sale. The 12b's I've seen...
  5. basicblues

Norman Lab Model 12b Buy and pay today, earn $60 back in eBay bucks (after activating the 5x eBay bucks offer). I wouldn't miss the chance to get these rare 12b's in this condition.
  6. basicblues

These speakers are the Norman Lab model 12b, considered very rare and certainly worth the price. I already have a set just like these otherwise I'd be a player. These 12b's are in excellent condition, this particular set was made in 1981. The drivers look correct, the surrounds likely...
  7. basicblues

What kind of Woofers should be in my Norman Labs 10s?

You are comparing two different build eras of Norman Lab. The white poly cone drivers with foam surrounds is correct for the model 10's you have. The other set of model 10's that feature paper cones and rubber surrounds are also correct for that era which looks to be around 1978.
  8. basicblues

Norman Laboratories Model 7's

The black frame 12" driver in the picture is definitely a true 12" Norman Lab driver. It doesn't have a visible EIN number but I've owned several original mid 70's several Norman Lab speakers with these exact drivers.
  9. basicblues

Yes, the use of Credence drivers was the NL standard 99% of the time. The very early Norman Lab speakers did use CTS drivers. The (3) Norman Lab speaker models that used 12" drivers were somewhat of an exception but still most of those also used Credence drivers.
  10. basicblues

These speakers were the beginning of Norman Laboratories. Thanks for the pictures...
  11. basicblues

Norman Lab Model 9

Very nice audio system and those Norman Lab model 9's look right at home. Your speakers were made in 1979. Those circuit breakers are there to protect the tweeters. I've had to "reset" the breaker often. I usually just try to clean the original breakers before replacing them, most sit...
  12. basicblues

Exactly what would you like to know about your NL model 7's? Also, what would you like to know about the weird NL model 16? peterfranks is correct, this was Norman Labs first speaker. [Nice looking NL model 7's from 1975 BTW]. If your Norman Lab speakers say Triton on the back, they...
  13. basicblues

Norman Lab model 9"s

Well, if you dealt with Gale, it would be very unlikely that the pair of NL model 9's you had would have been the first production pair with any historical value. The model 9's went through significant changes but remained a 2-way speaker during the entire production history. If you had...
  14. basicblues

Norman Labs 432, are these overpriced?

Most super nice, already re-foamed model 432 examples I've sold has been in the $400 range +/- depending on overall condition. I've seen some in poor to good condition for $200 to $300. Condition is everything and I'd gladly pay extra for speakers in really nice cosmetic and functioning...
  15. basicblues

Norman Laboratories Model 7 Speakers - Worth Getting?

Hey, glad you found the surrounds you asked me about and got these NL model 7's up and running again. These speakers appear to be from 1975 and the 1st production run too. Those are interesting drivers, but correctly dated for 1975 so I'd say they match. I've never been a fan of the NL...
  16. basicblues

Norman Labs 432, are these overpriced?

They are over priced IMO. They've been relisted so many times on eBay I've lost count. The seller is overly optimistic... I will say the NL model 432 is still one of my favorite NL models, they replaced the original NL model 10. They are one of the prettiest speakers NL ever made and...
  17. basicblues

Norman Lab 16

I saw these speaker sometime a while back. Notice the tweeter on the left speaker, it's not installed correctly - dead give away it's the same set I saw. I've seen about a half dozen of these or so, they were not a big hit and more experimental than anything else. These were manufactured...
  18. basicblues

Norman Lab 16

If that's Dave's place, he's cleaned up a lot. I know he moved a while back...
  19. basicblues

Reason for removing ID tags on speakers?

Many of the first version Norman Lab speakers were offered with or without the company logo badges. So after the glue becomes brittle after about 20 to 25 years like it does on most speaker brands and the logo's fall off, the Norman Lab's were still in factory correct style. As I recall...
  20. basicblues

Norman Labs model 82

If you have time to post pictures of your Norman Lab model 121, I would like to see them.
  21. basicblues

Buzz on Norman Labs Model 14

Very rare and desirable NL model 14. Interesting... I would still vote a bad surround as Jlord suggested. If you can get the dust cover off without damage, might try the shim method on the next try but even that has drawbacks. The surround lip on the ploy cone side is really wide looking...
  22. basicblues

Norman Lab Philips Tweeters on eBay - Buyer Beware

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130774770575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 The top plate is original but the tweeters are not.
  23. basicblues

AR 18s UPS Damage (saved from near landfill experience)

That type of damage is not the fault of UPS, it's improper packaging by the seller. I'd just restore them, since you got a partial refund, take that money and go for it.
  24. basicblues

Officially Over The Hill Now I Guess

Many thanks for the birthday wishes... My mom called, she said the first fifty years were "fun". The second fifty years (so far) have been somewhat "painful". As always, I'll take it one day at a time and be thankful in the process.
  25. basicblues

too close for comfort

I've driven motorcycles all my life and I certainly have experienced several close calls myself. I'm glad you had a angel watching over you yesterday. Ride safe and everyone who does ride take this stance - automatically assume the other person doesn't see you...
Back
Top Bottom