Search results

1. kmanusa

Someone help identify these electrostatic speakers?

From the serial number decoder on another site, these are Martin Logan CLS 2 series built in May 1989, probably original panels. Panels are user replaceable, they pop out of the oak frames with some pressure applied to the rear middle of the panel. It will be a challenge to find replacement...
  2. kmanusa

MC7300, what's the best McIntosh Tube PreAmp for it?

Not to derail this thread but the input impedance of my MC-275 MkIV is 100,000 ohms (100k ohms) according to the service manual. I don’t know if this changes with the later versions. Good luck with the search!
  3. kmanusa

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

I haven't made any speaker changes in the last 3 years but if I posted this today, I'd tweak it a bit: Top 3 I've owned: Martin Logan CLS/Kinergetics SW-800 Quad 988 JBL 250Ti Honorable mention: Infinity RS-4.5 Magneplanar Tympani IVa IMF RSPM Mark IV
  4. kmanusa

MC275 owners, I'm looking for some advise on using 2 in mono

I have 2 MC-275 Mark IVs. I did not find a big difference in sound quality in going from a single stereo 275 to 2 mono 275s but the greater headroom and gain is a big plus when driving my Martin Logan CLS which are quite inefficient. I have used them to drive my JBL 250ti cone speakers and the...
  5. kmanusa

I sold the Infinity RS-4.5s several years ago to AK'er Chris, Cdfac.

I sold the Infinity RS-4.5s several years ago to AK'er Chris, Cdfac.
  6. kmanusa

MR-78 Hot Chassis

Before installing a polarized 3-prong grounded plug, I checked the chassis leakage current by temporarily connecting the chassis to ground through a 1K resistor and measuring the voltage across the resistor. The leakage current as measured was very low (in micro amps) and so I went ahead and...
  7. kmanusa

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

My tuners have been silent for the past year or so. The content on air around here has left a lot to be desired so I'm probably not missing much. Think I'll connect up the MR-71 this week, I put a lot of time into restoring that one. Jonathan Schwartz is still on the air up there in the Big...
  8. kmanusa

Infinity POS II waste of money??

I owned a pair of POS-1 speakers in the early 70s which looked a lot like these and were relatively inexpensive 2 ways. I seem to recall the Infinity ad campaign theme (as seen in the magazines of the day like Stereo Review) was "the impossible dream" speaker and the intent was clearly "what...
  9. kmanusa

MC275 Revelations

I agree with the original post, I used a single MC275 with my 250Ti and was surprised how good it sounded. What really astounded me though was adding a second 275 and running both in mono! Ample headroom and excellent bass, no apparent problems with the big inductive kick from the LE-14 woofers...
  10. kmanusa

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

Top 3 I have owned: JBL 250TI Quad 988 Infinity RS-4.5 Honorable Mention: Martin Logan CLS/Kinergetics SW-800 Magneplanar Tympani IVa Snell Type B IMF RSPM Mark IV
  11. kmanusa

JBL L 250 A New Addition To My System

Man I wish my cabinets looked half as good as yours, beautiful finish!
  12. kmanusa

Very good, ultimately what works for you is the most important thing! Another way to biamp would be to connect the solid state amp to the woofer network in the 250TI and the tube amp to the networks driving the mid, tweeter, and super tweeter after disconnecting the woofer network from the...
  13. kmanusa

Ok I see what you doing. I assume you bypassed the low frequency network to directly connect to the LE-14h? And, you set your electronic crossover for low pass at 400 Hz, second order slope?
  14. kmanusa

Yes, something like that is one way to do it I would guess.
  15. kmanusa

Well done!
  16. kmanusa

Ok, I can do all of the external stuff with preamps and crossovers. I assume you added a second pair of jacks to the back panel of the 250TI that are only connected to the LE-14H, leaving the original set of jacks connected to the remaining 3 drivers?
  17. kmanusa

I'd love to have the bi-amp ready version of the 250TI for that reason, my "originals" can't be bi-amped without surgery. I'll be greatly interested in your impressions of the refoamed tweeters.
  18. kmanusa

Roger that, will do!
  19. kmanusa

I've tried my 250Tis with McIntosh MC7270, MC275, MC2205, Parasound HCA-3500, Hafler 9505 (single and bridged), and Sunfire 300 amps. Believe it or not, I've come to like using the MC275 best of all! Yes I know I can get better bass out of the solid state amps, especially the two Hafler...
  20. kmanusa

How many speakers do you own?

Hmm, somehow I missed this thread. Let's see, I have the following as of today: Pair of JBL 250Ti Pair of Martin Logan CLS 1 Pair of Kinergetics SW-800 subwoofers Pair of VMPS New Original subwoofers Pair of Acoustic Research AR-7 (woofers need refoam) Extra set of LE-14h-1 woofers and...
  21. kmanusa

How many speakers do you have and what are they?

Jbl 250ti Martin Logan CLS Kinergetics SW-800 subs VMPS New Original subs
  22. kmanusa

JBL L250 (Tis) in Blue!

Nice job on the grilles, they look very cool indeed. The 250TIs reach down below 30 Hz in my room, so much so that I don't feel the need to use my Kinergetics subs.
  23. kmanusa

what speakers did you own brand new in the 1980's?

I've owned lots of speakers since the late 1960s, some of which I bought brand new. Let's see, in the 1980s I bought these speakers brand new: IMF RSPM Mark IV Acoustat 2+2 Magnaplanar Tympani IVa Of course I was single then and could afford to spend money on high fi gear. The last 20...
  24. kmanusa

IMF RSPM Mk-IV - Springfield MO - $750

I never got much out of them below 20 Hz but yeah I think IMF claimed sub 20 Hz response. In the right room I don't doubt they could do it. As you say, pretty amazing for a loudspeaker.
  25. kmanusa

IMF RSPM Mk-IV - Springfield MO - $750

KEF "racetrack" woofer was a classic driver. IMF bass was renowned for extension right down to 20 Hz and very tight! Not great power handling in the bass though, but I never had a problem until I started to buy Telarc CDs with big bass drums.
Back
Top Bottom