Search results

1. Boto

EPI Speakers Appreciation

I picked up a pair of A240 a few years ago. I did a complete refurb on them, including replacement tweeters from Human. They sound spectacular. I even stripped the vinyl and added real cherry veneer to the speakers.
  2. Boto

Stay with the same amperage value. Places that sell replacements would be Parts Express or...

Stay with the same amperage value. Places that sell replacements would be Parts Express or Newark Electronics.
  3. Boto

I recapped a pair of PS-8 speakers, not AMT 1A's. The caps would be different, but I used...

I recapped a pair of PS-8 speakers, not AMT 1A's. The caps would be different, but I used Solens. There is a link on the site for schematics of the old speakers. You could get values from there. http://esslabsusa.com/downloads/
  4. Boto

JBL Studio 590 on sale for $439.95 each Nov 2019

That's an excellent price. I've listened to these speakers and seriously considered buying them.
  5. Boto

EPI Genesis Drivers -- Repair or Replace?

I'm pretty sure that when he rebuilds them, they end up just like his current replacement tweeters. What you end up with is having them look almost the same as the originals, with the major difference being the screen over the tweeter dome. I bought some new ones from him because I didn't like...
  6. Boto

EPI Microtower II Crossovers

I just looked at the crossover diagram at Human Speakers. Since there is only one for the tweeters, I would look and see if it was glued to the where the terminal posts are. It may be somewhat far away from where the drivers are.
  7. Boto

Advice on Fixin' New to Me EPI 100s

If you have access to a heat gun you can use that to soften the old glue. You will be able to push the old plate right out. The old glue will scrape off nicely when it is soft too.
  8. Boto

Original Large Advent crossover question

This might help: http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html
  9. Boto

Should I replace my old Monster Cable?

Here's an oldie but good article: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
  10. Boto

Genesis I speakers restoration questions.

Those little spring clip terminals like to break off. You should probably replace them too. I used these from parts express, although others carry something similar. https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-gold-plated-banana-5-way-speaker-wire-binding-post-terminal--260-302
  11. Boto

Advice on Fixin' New to Me EPI 100s

I have used the Dayton 1% caps in some Genesis and EPI rebuilds. They sound great. I have also used Human new crossovers in an EPI 100 and 240. They caps they supplied also sound great.
  12. Boto

Nova 4 Re Cap

I've got a pair of those in my small lab area at work. Really a nice sounding little speaker. And I love the retro look with the vertical slat grill.
  13. Boto

Huws epi aluminum dome tweeters

I have replaced the tweeters in my A240's with Huw's tweeters. Not harsh in the least. I didn't do a side-by-side with the old ones, but I think they sound clearer. Then again my originals were the red ring version.
  14. Boto

ESS Performance 8's Restore w/pictures

Solen makes a 7.5, so I would get that one and not the 8. The value of the capacitor will change the frequency cutoff point in the crossover. The manufacturer typically does quite a bit of work to optimize the values to work with the characteristics of the driver, in this case the Heil. I'd...
  15. Boto

The capacitor values are correct. I used Solen film caps. The 19uf was not available, so I put an 18 and a 1uf in parallel. They were rated at 400v, but I have also used Daytons which were rated at 250v. Either are fine. The originals were probably 50v. Higher is better for voltages. They...
  16. Boto

Those black and red capacitors are notorious for going bad. The Heil may be fine, just affected by the bad caps. If not, the diaphragms in the Heils are available from ESS and others. I've not had to replace them, but it doesn't appear to be too difficult.
  17. Boto

Holy Grail find!

I just saw a single one of these at my local Goodwill. Not sure what happened to its mate.
  18. Boto

EPI 200c Capacitor Selection

I also like the 1% Daytons. I have used them on both EPI's and their Genesis cousins. I have also used the Solens. Didn't notice any graininess, but that application was on a Heil (ESS speakers).
  19. Boto

KLH 22 crossover

I believe the 22 and 24 have the same crossover. Here is my replacement for the 24.
  20. Boto

RIP Boston Acoustics

I need to refoam my T-1000 speakers and start using them again. They are really nice.
  21. Boto

What can I do with these blown Braun tweeters?

Have you thought about the Human tweeters? http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/parts/002mg.htm They might be a good match, but the cost might be about the same as getting your old ones rebuilt. .
  22. Boto

EPI 100 Factory Fiberglass Stuffing Guide

For what it's worth, I have a pair of EPI A240's, Genesis I's and II's, and they are all stuffed like your pictures.
  23. Boto

Epicure EPI A300?

That would be interesting if they are veneer. I thought the A series was only vinyl, and you had to buy the Epicure series to get wood. My A240's were definitely vinyl, but are wood veneer now!
  24. Boto

Epicure EPI A300?

I've got some A240's that also use the 10" woofer, but are a 2 way system. I think you'll like them a lot once they are fixed up.
  25. Boto

Looking for Genesis capacitor suggestions

I've used the Dayton's also in my Genesis and EPI speakers, although I opted for the 1% version of the caps. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pmpc-10-10uf-250v-precision-audio-capacitor--027-244 I don't know what the hole size is under those broken terminals, but I used these on a...
Back
Top Bottom