Search results

1. chathamdad

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

I heard a set of big B&Ws at Axpona over the weekend that made me flee the room.
  2. chathamdad

Suggestions for mini portable Bluetooth speaker

Plus 1 on this. I have a UE Megaboom and I take it all over the place when I travel. Its great and if it ever dies I'll get another. Amazing sound for such a small unit, especially bass. Plus, it doesn't monitor your conversations or bathroom rituals like Alexa or HomePod.
  3. chathamdad

Speakers for Vintage Audio System

That's a reasonable edit, I'll concur with that. "Reliability" was not the best word choice.
  4. chathamdad

C34V which amp

MC754. I believe that the 754/C34V combo is the guts of the MAC4300v receiver, which would certainly indicate excellent compatibility.
  5. chathamdad

Speakers for Vintage Audio System

I had a Marantz/ADS match-up for years and they were very compatible. But I agree with the above post that modern speakers would be a good choice for a number of reasons (not least of which is reliability). I just bought a pair of KLH Albany bookshelf units to go in a small system with a...
  6. chathamdad

The "new" KLH

Update after owning the Albany speakers for about 6 weeks. I have had them hooked up to a restored MAC1700 in a modest-sized living room. They are about 9 feet from my ears and 12" from the back wall. They've been playing a lot over the past month+ and have really opened up. They replaced a...
  7. chathamdad

4300v strange problem

I'm guessing you already resolved this but FWIW I'm pretty sure its the TV remote because I have the same issue with my Verizon FIOS remote and my MAC4300.
  8. chathamdad

What speakers?

For any McIntosh amp at or under 200 watts I would go with the Spendor D7.
  9. chathamdad

The "new" KLH

Because the last f**king thing in the world that I need is another set of speakers, I of course bought a pair of the Albanys at a KLH launch party at World Wide Stereo in suburban Philly last night. WWStereo is a great, longtime retailer in the Philly area, and carries the range from...
  10. chathamdad

Service experience with Audio Classics?

Multiple service transactions with them ( and a purchase or two) and they are the standard by which any company should model its own customer service. Never less than first rate.
  11. chathamdad

Multi-Speaker outputs a thing of the past?

Ultimately I have to agree with this sentiment. Right now, because I had to send the 4300 out for some overdue service, I'm running a Mc754 through a Niles SVC-4 switcher, and honest-too-goodness I cannot hear anything less than great McIntosh sound, even when all three speaker sets are dialed...
  12. chathamdad

Any Harbeth users here? What speaker and what amp?

Harbeth Compact 7ES-2s with (usually) my MAC4300v receiver. However, the 4300 is out for some routine service so right now the Harbeths are being pushed by an MC754 (with an NAD preamp). The Harbeths are just great, but you know that. They handle McIntosh solid state amps very well (in...
  13. chathamdad

As the father of a UMich sophomore I am required by law to accept as fact anything anyone in Ann Arbor says any time, about anything.
  14. chathamdad

Geez, you ask a simple question about extra speaker outputs and ............ :eek2:
  15. chathamdad

McIntosh 4300V Receiver Problem

I had the same problem about 10 years ago with my 4300. Determined it wasn't a speaker relay issue when I heard the same low-volume drop-out through the headphones. Sent it back to the factory and it was something in the output circuit ahead of the speaker relays (sorry, I'm not a tech). Had...
  16. chathamdad

McIntosh MC752 - Back from restoration

I have two 754s that I used to use as mono blocks with my MAC4300 as the preamp, but that really was overkill for my modest listening space. Now I have them deployed in other systems. One of them is nicely mated to an NAD preamp and a pair of Quad bookshelf speakers in our bedroom, and it just...
  17. chathamdad

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

CSNY, "Four Way Street."
  18. chathamdad

This question probably borders on the quaint at this point, but I have been wondering why no Mcintosh integrated in recent years has had more than one set of speakers outputs? My Mac4300 and MA6200 each have three sets, and I think the 6500 (back in 1999) was the last one to have more than one...
  19. chathamdad

C27 preamp with an MC754 amp ?

Let us know how it sounds after you have the combo in service for a while. I have two 754s in different systems and I love them. They're indestructible. .
  20. chathamdad

McIntosh MA5300

Have not posted here in a long time, but this new amp has piqued my interest. Here is a question for anyone who has a good handle on the tech in the 5300: is it worth replacing my well-maintained MAC4300V with a 5300? I'm totally happy with the 4300 and it has been re-tuned twice at the...
  21. chathamdad

Speaker Recommendations

I'm partial to British BBC monitor-type speakers with McIntosh gear. I've got 5 different McIntosh amps and various British speaker sets, topped out by my Harbeth C7s. I swap them all over the place periodically and I've never found a mismatch. There is just something about the BBC-standard...
  22. chathamdad

My $1,075 AT-LP1240 set

I agree with you about the look of the 240. When I was ready to pull the trigger on a new DD TT last month, I had settled on the 1240 but was a bit put off by the necessary DJ features, so the 240 would have been a better fit, at least cosmetically. Could not find a 240 in stock from a...
  23. chathamdad

Post all the Mcintosh gear you have ever owned.

MAC 4300V, MAC 1700, MAC 1500, MC 754 (two of them), MA 6200, MCD 7007, MCD 205. Still have everything but the two CD players (don't do CDs anymore). I think I will have to do seem downsizing soon.
  24. chathamdad

Mac1500, which speakers?

I have run my Mac1500 through BBC-standard speakers of various types. First my Harbeth Compact 7's, and now a pair of Spendor LS 3/5ses. Both were great matches, and I highly recommend a British speaker for the Mac.
  25. chathamdad

New McAire - good reasons to buy?

Well I just heard it at a local dealer an hour ago and it sounds awesome. Blows away the MXA 60 in all aspects. I think the iPad/iPod connector is the weakest way to go; it also has wireless and LAN connectivity, along with USB from any compatible source. And it looks just amazing. I agree...
Back
Top Bottom