Search results

1. chathamdad

Multi-Speaker outputs a thing of the past?

This question probably borders on the quaint at this point, but I have been wondering why no Mcintosh integrated in recent years has had more than one set of speakers outputs? My Mac4300 and MA6200 each have three sets, and I think the 6500 (back in 1999) was the last one to have more than one...
  2. chathamdad

New Setup Leads to Scary Noises

I would appreciate advice on this situation. I decided to beef up the main system so I brought the MC754s in and ran the MA6200 as a preamp for them. Configured the 754s as monoblocks into my Harbeths. Used Y connectors to run the 6200's preamp out to the 754s, but also back into the 6200's...
  3. chathamdad

Question about MA6200

I have a 6200 that powers my main speakers and two other sets around the house. I am thinking of picking up another amp for the mains. Any reason I cannot use the 6200 as an integrated for the satellite speakers and also use it as a preamp to drive the new amp and the mains? I was thinking I...
  4. chathamdad

New Squeezebox Duet Remote - Do I Really Need One?

I have a Squeezebox Classic with upgraded firmware and a standard remote (the one with no screen or flywheel). The system operates beautifully. However, I am tempted by the new Duet remote (which will operate with the Classic). Can anybody tell me whether it would represent a real step up in...
  5. chathamdad

Added an MA 6200. Wow!

As much as I love my Mac1500 (which is an MA230 amp at its heart), it just wasn't the unit to make my Harbeth Compact 7s really shine. So I have been narrowing down my McIntosh research to a few units that might replace it in my main system (the 1500 will go back to the office and the small...
  6. chathamdad

MCD 205 vs. MVP 871

I would be really interested in a comparison of the audio quality between the MCD205 and an MVP871. If the 2 channel performance of the 871 was a good as the 205, I might consider getting rid of the 205 and my DVD player and replacing them with an 871. I did a search on the forum and did not...
  7. chathamdad

Nostalgia Questionnaire (for us old folks)

It occurred to me recently that, despite my interest in learning about new music, more often than not I put something on the stereo that I first heard 30 years ago and have listened to consistently since. So, it prompts this short questionnaire, for anyone 45 years old or older (the rest of you...
  8. chathamdad

Mac1500 - Rushing and Popping Sound on Phono

I think the thread title pretty much says it all. Intermittent rush/whoosh sound with interspersed pops. I get them when no record is playing, and I get them on both Phono 1 and Phono 2; my table is connected to Phono 1 and there is nothing on Phono 2. It may also happen when an LP is playing...
  9. chathamdad

Jarrett/DeJohnette/Peacock

Saw Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, a.k.a The Standards Trio, last night at Verizon Hall in Philadelphia. They are touring to commemorate their 25th anniversary together. If they come near you, and you have any inclination toward piano trio jazz, I highly recommend this show...
  10. chathamdad

MAC1500 headphone channel reversed

Anybody know how difficult it is to reverse the hot leads on the headphone socket on a Mac1500 receiver? I'd rather not have to send it out for service since it just got back not long ago. Don't know why I didn't notice it before (perhaps because I just started listening with my headphones a...
  11. chathamdad

Modest Pix of a Modest System

I'm too impaired to figure out how to upload pictures directly into this thread, so here is the link to my shots in the Member's Gallery: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12218. This is a new configuration. The recent purchase of a wall-mounted Sony...
  12. chathamdad

Question about my amp configuration

I have a Mac4300v receiver and I acquired two MC754 amps that I am using as bridged monoblocks. They are driven off the "preamp out" RCAs on the 4300 and they power the Harbeths in my main listening room. The 4300 has 3 sets of speaker terminals, and I am using two of them to power speakers in...
  13. chathamdad

Headroom MicroDAC with my MAC1500

For some time now I have been running my iRiver ihp120 MP3 player into the Mac1500 in my office by the usual route, the "line out" right into the "aux" input on the receiver. My rationale (or was it a rationalization??) was that it was an office system and did not need to climb too high on the...
  14. chathamdad

Dual 1264 Cartridge question

I have a nice Dual 1264 that I bought used a year ago. It has the Ortofon ULM cartridge that was stock (I believe) when it was sold new. I want to replace it, and I can't seem to find NOS ULM cartridges (don't want to buy a used one). Here is my two-part question: 1. Can anyone suggest a...
  15. chathamdad

MCD205 with MDA1000

I have an MCD205 and am tempted to "take it to the next level" by mating it to an MDA1000. I would also run other digital sources through the MDA, like my Rotel DVD player and my iRiver MP3 player. Does anybody have any experience with pairing the MCD205 and the MDA1000? I am particularly...
  16. chathamdad

Advice, Please, about bi-amping with 2 Mac amps.

I just got a pre-owned Mc754 amp in great shape. I bought it so I could use it, along with my Mac4300 receiver, to bi-amp my Harbeth speakers (the 754 is the same as the amp section in the 4300 in all material ways). I set it up, running the 754 off the preamp out jacks of the 4300, then used...
  17. chathamdad

MAC 4300 pre-amp section with an MC2102? Advice?

I would be grateful for advice on the following: I am considering adding the tube MC2102 to my system. I would be running it off the preamp section of my MAC4300 receiver (the preamp is a C30, I believe). I would continue running the 4300's amp to power two sets of remote speakers in other...
  18. chathamdad

Best-Recorded Live Albums

What are the live albums that, in your opinion, have the best sonic quality? I'm not talking about artist performance (although that probably influences the assessment of the the recording quality to some degree) but the reproduction of the live concert experience, through balance, soundstage...
Back
Top Bottom