Search results

1. Sansuiman

Has the USPS Lost Its Mind?

Manufacturing? Heck, we can barley find a decently run fast food joint or discount store anymore. I'm old enough to remember when a smoothly operating burger joint or a Target/Walmart was nothing extraordinary. And I'm a plumber, so let me clue you in about the state of the building trades....
  2. Sansuiman

Seems pretty clear to me that many of these issues are better or worse by region. Certain processing centers get a bad reputation for a reason. And there are apparently pockets of theft activity, some of which could well be organized crime among staff. I'm not absolving either FedEx or UPS of...
  3. Sansuiman

^ I don't know. So far I've not had UPS or FedEx outright lose anything, USPS meanwhile has dumped a few packages destined for me down a black hole somewhere never to be seen again. For damage in transit, UPS And FedEx are getting pretty bad. Some of that can be ascribed to piss poor packing...
  4. Sansuiman

OP's posted tracking history may be a new record. I've had some doozies the last couple of years, but not 52 steps (and counting) of misdirected routing. Presently, I have a domestic delivery that was sent to me mid January that fell off the radar on Feb 3 (was scanned, then just disappeared...
  5. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

Excellent find there, that was the intended mating preamp for the BA-100 and 150. I have all three pieces, and will vouch for the fact that they're excellent. And yes, all three are quite rare owing to the fact that they were Japanese domestic market models only.
  6. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

@DB-7, Oof. That doesn't sound very promising. Maybe they'll "loosen up" with extended use, but I've found vintage headphones to be a very hit or miss proposition. That's one reason I haven't yet made a serious run at the SH-15's yet, I kept hoping someone here would do at least a brief writeup...
  7. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

^ Nice. I've been looking (but not all that seriously so far) for a pair of those. Would you do a writeup on your impressions of how they sound once you've had a chance to "break them in"? I'd be curious to hear how they stack up against modern headphones.
  8. Sansuiman

Realistic CD-2300 (Radio Shack, 1987, made in Japan)

Indeed, sometimes there are tweaks ranging from superficial up to rather significant. The Luxman D-404 I referred to has a pretty heavily tweaked main board from a Toshiba XR-Z40. So much so, it has a different foil side and different screen print. So, while it is very nearly functionally...
  9. Sansuiman

Repainting a Sansui SR-838 turntable to look original with the gloss "piano black" finish they originally came with?

I've not really tried, but it may be possible to get some halfway decent results with wet sanding the damaged area at 1500/2000/3000 and then polishing it out with Novus #2 plastic polish. I'd think the material the factory finish is made from would polish, but as said, haven't attempted myself.
  10. Sansuiman

Guess im the guy who brings this back up... (tubes sounding better)

Will be interested to see where this discussion goes. At the moment, I have numerous tube power amps and a couple of integrateds. I just recently picked up a 1958 Sansui SP-220 tube preamp to use with its mating Q-3535 power amp of the same vintage. Thus far, I've only had solid state pres to...
  11. Sansuiman

Realistic CD-2300 (Radio Shack, 1987, made in Japan)

Interesting to thread, will be following. I can tell you it is a Toshiba OEM sourced player, as they did clones for a bunch of outfits in the early CD era, from 83-88 or so. This includes Sansui, Luxman, and Kenwood most notably. They clearly supplied Tandy/RS with this player, as well. The...
  12. Sansuiman

Onkyo CD players

Some of the sought after models (both vintage and newer) can catch decent or even serious money even if they need repair. This is partly due to collectible value, and the typical "eBay tax" effect. The problem with CD player repairs specifically is that there aren't a lot of people who...
  13. Sansuiman

QRX-9001

Very nicely done. You are now in the big leagues, not only in the ownership of one of the most technically impressive receivers Sansui offered, but also in your skill level at servicing such a beast. Congrats.
  14. Sansuiman

Repainting a Sansui SR-838 turntable to look original with the gloss "piano black" finish they originally came with?

I don't think the original process can be replicated by a DIYer. My recommendation would be to have it refinished with a two stage automotive paint (black base coat, followed by multiple coats of clear coat to then be buffed out to a mirror finish. The original finish is some sort of...
  15. Sansuiman

Received my Koss Pro 4AA back from Koss.

Interesting they honored the lifetime warranty for a pair that old. I have a pair - model number escapes me - from the late 80's or early 90's that is lifetime warranted. Have been rebuilt at least once already. Probably need to send them in again, as I've not used them in a while due to the...
  16. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

Those black knobs with the white pointers definitely aren't stock. They don't look bad, but they aren't period correct. As what I meant by the FM front end pack being situated on its end, the pulley for the dial cord is sitting horizontally on the top of the front end pack. Virtually every other...
  17. Sansuiman

Question About Voltage Compatibility for Amp: Seeking Guidance

^ concur with @Hyperion. Almost certain this model amp has an internal circuit board near the transformer (usually labeled "fixed parts", but sometimes located on the power supply board) where one needs to "plug" color coded wires onto pins in a specific order to select the operating input...
  18. Sansuiman

Best speakers Sansui ever made?

@nikmills, Heck yes, grab those. Those are one of the few models that are designed to be bi or tri amped, and have massive cabinets. Very interesting and vanishingly rare. And you already have a nice collection going, if I may say.
  19. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

That 400 is a rarity, very seldom seen. It's also the first - and so far only - Sansui receiver I've seen with the tuner front end pack situated on its end. Quite the unusual design.
  20. Sansuiman

AU-9900 AU-11000 speaker terminal question

...and there it is. @KeithD, thanks for sparing me the effort of getting mine off the shelf far enough to disassemble it for this.
  21. Sansuiman

AU-9900 AU-11000 speaker terminal question

I'll see if I have can get my 9900A out tonight to check.
  22. Sansuiman

The OFFICIAL MSM5540RS/M5540 Gx700 40pin IC Thread! NUDIES

The T-80 tends to be the sacrificial victim to get the IC (and the VFD display) from now, if needed. And that's only because it is the least expensive tuner from which the parts can be purloined. Which is kind of a shame. The T-80 isn't a great tuner, but it is nice enough for an fairly...
  23. Sansuiman

Big Suey is really being temperamental today!

I stand corrected. That said, there is something in Dawn that is corrosive if it is not fully flushed from a metal surface it has been in contact with. I've seen stainless steel sink bowls rust from drips of dawn that weren't wiped off. So, I advise caution in using it; not only should it be...
  24. Sansuiman

Sansui A5 Bad Transformer.

Going to be tough to find a direct replacement, especially with a 240V primary. This series sold reasonably well in the US and Canada back in the early 80's, and they show up as complete units on eBay here with some regularity . However, very seldom have I noted a transformer being sold, but...
  25. Sansuiman

Big Suey is really being temperamental today!

Noted above that use of dawn was mentioned. I just wanted to say to be careful using that (and probably similar detergents ) as it contains a small amount of chlorine. If that stuff isn't entirely cleansed off the switch, it will be corrosive in the long term.
Back
Top Bottom