Search results

1. K

Marantz 6300 Project

:lurk:
  2. K

Need a Repairman in Eastern Iowa

Fort Dodge is a long drive ... But maybe my sister and brother in law will be traveling to Cherokee over the holidays ... Hmmmmmmm :scratch2:
  3. K

Need a Repairman in Eastern Iowa

Can anyone please recommend a repairman/facility in eastern Iowa? I have a Pioneer SX-980 (my daily driver) that has just quit working. The speaker protection circuit fails to click. The day it quit it did take longer than usual to click, but then did click. I turned it off when I left for...
  4. K

The Mayans: DIY Speakers from a concrete footing tube

Sorry. My uncle designed the circuit. So technically he should be the one to answer. Maybe I can get some input from him and post it here, or possibly get him to sign up up and post himself! What I can tell you is we discussed the basic idea, it was my preference to try a 3-way, so he...
  5. K

Good question ... My first speaker build and it didn't occur to me until I had already cut and laminated the front slab and dry fit the woofer. I did use a 3/4" round over bit on the interior of the woofer cutout, and went at it a bIt with a wood rasp, but given the overall thickness it was...
  6. K

Thanks for the compliment and the tip. I was unaware of the DIY speaker show. I might have to go check that out ... Never been to anything like that before!
  7. K

Yes, I've got a Dobsonian made from a cardboard tube! Tough stuff. And tough enough to contain a few hundred pound of wet concrete. I had seen a thread once where a guy went to the trouble of laminating two together, one inside the other, the double the wall thickness, but I thought it seemed...
  8. K

Thanks, This pair was built for listening to recorded music. I use them in my office and they run all day. My uncle made one to use as a bass guitar cabinet and it was pretty long ... I'm guessing about 4.5 feet long. That one he designed the circuits and tuned the tube specifically for bass...
  9. K

Thx, The tube is actually pretty rigid. It's just cardboard/fiberboard but can withstand massive amounts of internal pressure without distorting. One of the other supposed benefits is the reduction of standing waves as there's no corners in the interior.
  10. K

I mounted my crossovers to the speaker terminal cups: Some test fitting: And a test run: Some stain and some Teak Oil Finish. I just used some stuff I had in the garage ... I think that stain I used was easily 25 years old! Some stick on vinyl: I'm into clean edges: I...
  11. K

My uncle has been experimenting with his own speaker designs. He's an electrical engineer who only recently got interested in speaker design. He's also a guitarist who plays and sings folk, but who also did a stint as the bass player in his church band. He's a senior and got tired of lugging a...
  12. K

modernizing a vintage console

Neato, good for you! I love seeing old things like this repurposed or refurbished or otherwise made useful again! Love the lines of the mid-century furniture, too!
  13. K

Craigslist Is My Friend!

Nice! Really beautiful receiver! I've got an SX-980 in my office and I listen to it all day.
  14. K

Found a Pioneer SX-980 at the local thrift

Thx, guys. Yes, I figured for $125 it was now or never. I had no guarantee the unit would work other than powering it up at the store. The lady behind the counter said 3 day return policy if it didn't work, but the refund was for store credit that day. I was leaving the state on a business trip...
  15. K

Found a Pioneer SX-980 at the local thrift

Thought I might share this. In May I picked this up at a local thrift/consignment store for $125. More than I wanted to spend, but pickings like this are few and far in-between. It would cut out now and again, but nothing that some contact cleaner couldn't rectify. I cleaned it up and now...
  16. K

Any Creatively Unique Musicians Here?

Good point ... Music is so mathematical the engineering analogy seemed to fit at the time, but I have to agree with your comments. If I were better versed in the visual arts maybe a cubist painter might make a better example of the point I was trying to make, but then, maybe not, and I don't...
  17. K

Solution for musical theatre volume trouble?

Have you tried using a dostortion pedal in your effects chain? Just for those special occasions? If you have not already, check with the manufacturer of your amp prior to using an attenuators. I'm not savvy enough to know exactly why, but some manufacturers claim using an attenuators will...
  18. K

Any Creatively Unique Musicians Here?

I agree with this statement. This would apply to all artistic endeavors including deconstructionism in art and architecture. I don't think anyone could accuse architect Frank Ghery of a lack of creativity, but I assure you he didn't get where he is without first studying architectural...
  19. K

Greetings from Iowa

Thanks to all for welcoming me to AK! Great to know there are local AKers!
  20. K

Greetings from Iowa

Thanks! Yes, A Hawkeye fan, although after 6 generations in Iowa we've got enough Iowa State alumni in the family to balance things out! Come football Saturday I root for all our college teams, but if the Hawkeyes are playing State or UNI, I have to root for the hometown boys. For about 14 years...
  21. K

Greetings from Iowa

Thanks! I was up that way a few weeks ago to attend the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines. There was a "double bacon corn dog" with my name on it. Since my grandparents passed I don't get out that way often. Next time I might take the blue highways ... See what's left standing along highway 6.
  22. K

Greetings from Iowa

Yes, the ped mall on a football Saturday can get pretty crazy! Well, there's a potential for craziness on any Saturday night. That Hardees is gone, and now it's a bar. Which you can say about every place in downtown IC at some time or another!
  23. K

Greetings from Iowa

Thanks, Matt. I'm in Ioway City in SE Ioway. Born here. Been here most of my life. Moved away for a while when I was younger, but ended up returning. How about you?
  24. K

Greetings from Iowa

Greetings from Karl of Iowa! I've been lurking for a while and thought I may join in and learn some new things! My dad sold audio electronics for over 35 years, and when I was in high school he sold me a nice system on credit. Being an electric guitar player it was fun having an audio...
Back
Top Bottom