Search results

1. P

Sansui AU-5500...terrible distortion from both speakers.

Hello everyone. I've been spending some of my housebound time getting my Sansui AU-5500 up and running. When I received it, The relay wouldn't click on and a few of the fuses where blown. Over time I replaced open transistors, a couple scorched resisters, and most of the caps on the driver and...
  2. P

Luxman L230 left channel white noise

Hi All, I recently recapped my Luxman L230 amp. Now I'm getting white noise from the left channel when set to phono. All the other setting like tuner, tape, aux, all work fine. I get the white noise only on the left channel only when set to phono. The white noise goes up and down with the...
  3. P

Sansui au-5500 stuck in protection mode

Just recently picked up a au-5500 and found that the relay isn't clicking in. Certainly could use some help in figuring my next move to try to find the reason .
  4. P

Wharfedale W70 Sound Harsh

Hi All. I posted a similar thread over at the Speaker forum but thought I'd run it by the British crowd also. I have recently picked up a pair of W70's. They sound very harsh in the midrange. I recapped them a couple days ago with Russian PIO caps and have been listening to them off and on for...
  5. P

Wharfedale W70's sounding very harsh

Hey All. I recently picked up a pair of W70's. Before choosing to get them, I read the reviews and threads and watched some videos and all pointed toward a very smooth, full, rich speaker that was very tube friendly. Not what I am experiencing at all. I recapped them 2 days ago with Russian...
  6. P

Reynold's Advance A2 crossover confusion

Hello All, I recently picked up a pair of Advance A2 speakers in a trade. They just don't sound right. At first I thought they may have been out of phase but that turned out not to be the case. They have very little bass and weak mids. very little soundstage or separation. I removed the woofers...
  7. P

Is there a Fisher X-101-B capacitor list?

Hello All, I just picked up a Fisher X-101-B and will be recapping it. Is there a capacitor list here on AK, or does anyone have a personal list of capacitors I will need. One concern I'm having with the 101 is it will play great and sound great. Then the left side will distort or drop off...
  8. P

Bogen RP 230 woes

Received a Bogen RP 230 in the mail today. Plugged it in to my DBT and it didn't dim, indicating a short somewhere. My bulb tester has a 60 watt bulb in it. I guess my question would be, does anyone know where I can start to track down the short. I have no idea to be honest. I was told it was in...
  9. P

Dynaco Pas3 Sounds thin, not "tube like"

As the heading says, my Pas3 sounds thin and lacks bass. It doesn't have that full, rich tube sound.It has been kept original but I have bypassed the tone, balance, loudness controls. I've also installed a new 100k Alps volume control. I recapped with orange drops. Still, it sounds thin. I'm...
  10. P

Harman Kardon 330C blowing fuses

My 330C worked well and one day developed some distortion in the right channel. In a short time the channel stopped working and no sound in the right speaker. I took a look inside ad spotted a suspect cap, C405 on the main board which tested out of spec. I replaced the cap and still no sound on...
  11. P

Substitute for McIntosh part # 066-128

I want to change the big can capacitor in my MX 114. The McIntosh part # is 066-128. I called McIntosh and was told they are no longer available and there isn't a substitute. I'm wondering if anyone here has an option for replacing this cap. Cheers everyone.
  12. P

Shure M95ed and sibilance

I was recently given a Shure M95ed with two styli by the original owner . I mounted it on my Dual 505-2 following the proper setup and procedure. It sounds terrible. Both styli are in fine shape and I get the same results with both, very thin sibilant and cheap sound. I expected much more from a...
  13. P

MA 6100 woes

My friend picked up a McIntosh mA6100 the other day. He was trying it with different gear when exposed speaker wires crossed and took out the right channel. What are some of the possibilities and what should we be looking at here. He replaced blown fuses and they just blew out again. He's able...
  14. P

McIntosh and Energy 22 Speakers

Are the Energy Reference or Pro 22 speakers a good choice for McIntosh 2105 and MX 114 tuner/pre? There's a couple pair for sale locally and I'm tempted to give them a try. Anybody have any experience with these speakers with their McIntosh gear? Cheers.
  15. P

McIntosh MC2105 Mod Gone Sour

I wanted to try some mods on my 2105 . One that I found online was adding 47uF caps in parallel with the main filter caps. I attached the 47's , plugged the amp in and turned it on and puff..a bit of smoke, toasted the new 47uF cap on the right channel with a ffffffttt sound. I immediately...
  16. P

HK 330c dead tuner

I picked up a Harman Kardon HK 330c for cheap. The phono, tape, aux..all work well but I get nothing using the tuner. The meter is dead still, showing nothing is being received in both am and fm. I have tried messing with antennas but still no signal. Any ideas as to what causes a tuner to die...
Back
Top Bottom