Search results

1. turnitup

Things you don't see anymore.

Ok, it’s the 1970s, no time to fix dinner… I love the “serving suggestion” picture. Nothing like a ‘side salad‘ of 2 sprigs of free parsley from the produce department at the grocery store to balance out that nutritional meal. At 16, that would have been my portion (hold the parsley).
  2. turnitup

Don’t know who made these, but my Mom always had a new linen calendar every year hung on the side of our kitchen cabinet when I grew up, facing the dining room. Some great ones in my memory during the 60s and 70s. Lots of bright colors - orange, avocado green and harvest gold, etc. of fun...
  3. turnitup

Fun Factoid Of The Day

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the back-up band for Johnny Cash on one of Johnny’s final albums produced before his (Johnny’s) death - a 1996 release titled “Unchained”.
  4. turnitup

Fun Factoid Of The Day

Unless the “where you are going“ is a black hole. In this case, it’s “…there you aren’t”!
  5. turnitup

Fun Factoid Of The Day

8-track tapes were originally developed in the mid 1960s by Bill Lear, so that music could be easily played on his Learjet planes without adverse impacts by turbulence. Realizing that his invention would also be perfect for cars, he convinced the major US auto manufacturers to include players...
  6. turnitup

Any sense looking for a "higher end" 8 track player?

God Save the 8-track - https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/god-save-the-eight-track/
  7. turnitup

Lab 80

There’s a huge following of the Lab 80 here. Here’s perhaps the most comprehensive thread: Thread 'My Garrard Lab 80 Obsession' https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-garrard-lab-80-obsession.278625/
  8. turnitup

Danish Loudspeakers - Celebrating 100 Years

What part of the article are you referring to? Just curious…
  9. turnitup

Zenith Allegro console

As far as the 8-track player goes, I’d check to see if it has/had a drive belt. If it did, it likely has disintegrated. Old belts also sometimes leave a sticky mess/residue that will need to be cleaned/removed. If you can’t find a stock replacement you might be able to measure both the width...
  10. turnitup

Danish Loudspeakers - Celebrating 100 Years

Great write up on the invention of the loudspeaker and the Danish companies that have participated in the field over the last 100 (now plus) years - the article was written in 2015. 120 pages in length, but very interesting and well written content. I especially enjoyed the opening salvo on...
  11. turnitup

Zenith Allegro console

For the groovy 1970’s household, from Zenith: Unfortunately, our household wasn’t groovy…
  12. turnitup

Zenith Allegro console

This looks like an “internal component“ match. They used many cabinet designs with the same internals to appeal to the consumer’s design element. This might get you started… https://www.ebth.com/items/6594189-1970s-zenith-allegro-solid-state-console-stereo
  13. turnitup

Zenith Allegro console

You might try looking at old Zenith catalogs from the early to mid 70’s. You’ll likely find the cabinet design, which will hopefully lead you to a model number, etc. I’m sure you can find catalogs on the web for this era, old newspaper and magazine ads might also be a decent source for this...
  14. turnitup

Color organ problem

@Shominy I know that this is an older post, but I’m hacking with some vintage color organs and read this post. You reference “C18” bulbs in your last message above. What are these? I only find C7 and C9’s typically used in the color organs, and can’t find any reference to C18’s...
  15. turnitup

Fixing pushed in dust caps

An extremely safe way to handle the situation, one which I now tend to use almost exclusively, is to simply glue a new “next size up” dust cap over the top of the damaged one (trying to keep the size difference to a minimum to avoid possible protracted incursions into the sonic area of the...
  16. turnitup

It's a love shack... (or I love the smell of napalm in the morning! )

Turning the big blacklights on, in the pitch black man cave, and watching those vintage 60/70’s posters come to life!
  17. turnitup

These make the BEST speaker stands, in a man-cave like environment...great look too. Just add vintage stickers of your choice. Perfect for storing misc. stuff in them as well.
  18. turnitup

I'll start here...

Used, vintage gear is always somewhat of a wildcard. You rarely know it’s history, and if it hasn’t been thoroughly gone through by a reputable tech you really are buying a ticking time bomb. Older gear has components that time out with age (namely capacitors). They degrade over time, which...
  19. turnitup

I'll start here...

CVs are not of low quality at all, but Mac gear is very often tethered to some higher quality speakers equating to their higher quality in the marketplace (they are a rather elite manufacturer of electronic gear). CVs have a deserved or not deserved reputation for being rock and roll/party...
  20. turnitup

I'll start here...

If I were you, I think I’d address the speakers first. Check the surrounds, clean the photometers (if any), and replace any old capacitors in the crossover. This is a good/easy introduction to the hobby, and ultimately at the end of the day, the part that will make the most difference when you...
Back
Top Bottom