Search results

1. turnitup

Danish Loudspeakers - Celebrating 100 Years

Great write up on the invention of the loudspeaker and the Danish companies that have participated in the field over the last 100 (now plus) years - the article was written in 2015. 120 pages in length, but very interesting and well written content. I especially enjoyed the opening salvo on...
  2. turnitup

Eames Lounge Knockoff Restoration

Just bought two Eames knockoff lounger for a good price. Mostly good bones, but both need to be reupholstered and refinished. Knowing that there is a big following on AK for these chairs, and great DIY DNA here as well I wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge of a specific part that needs to...
  3. turnitup

Friends of Sunset Magazine…

Moved to the West Coast, from the Midwest in the early ‘80’s. Fell in love with the culture, climate, etc. Sunscribed to Sunset Magazine, and followed it from its Menlo Park roots to its current iteration. Have loved its passion for the evolving West Coast vibe over the years - still up to...
  4. turnitup

Car/Truck Tire Subwoofer

Anyone ever created one of these as a subwoofer? I’d think that with the stiff but flexible nature of a tire, it might actually work pretty well. Kind of a cool look for a man cave or industrial vibe. I think that the stand is a guitar stand…
  5. turnitup

Vintage Blacklight

Ok, I’ve got an all 60/70s man cave that I’ve been adding to as I come across things, a fun hobby and a great place for my silver audio gear - I think my audio hobby feels right at home. The vintage stuff has become very collectible (and pricey), some old posters going for the many hundreds of...
  6. turnitup

40 Years Since Karen Carpenter’s Passing Today

2/4/1983 - tragic loss, for a young soul. 40 years….RIP Karen Carpenter!
  7. turnitup

The Master of the Double Bass

I’ve been digging into the works of Oscar Peterson in the cold of the winter, and have rediscovered a whole new level of Jazz piano in his works. The man was off the charts amazing in his talents. I especially love his works from the mid 70’s, when I think he was at the pinocle of his...
  8. turnitup

The World’s Most Relaxing Song (Forbes Article)

From a 2016 Forbes article… Couldn’t find historical reference to the article here, so thought I’d post it (this could possibly be a re-post, apologies if so). The title alone is rather verbose and perhaps way overstated, but an interesting article and music composition none-the-less. I found...
  9. turnitup

Building Speaker Stands

Ran across this article and thought I’d share it. Some great ideas on making your own speaker stands, fairly economically… https://definebottle.com/diy-speaker-stand-ideas/
  10. turnitup

Your Lamps/Lights for the dark…

With winter solstice happening this week (or really, any time during the year - in the dark of night) I like to fire up my vintage/weird lighting collection while I’m listening to music. Here’s one (of the many) funky classics I have collected over the years. Post a picture of your...
  11. turnitup

Of “Sound” Minds - Sound & the human brain

Statistically, I would bet that AK members (on average) are more “sonically gifted” as human beings than the masses. Why else would most of us be here, and love our professions and/or hobbies? Great podcast exploring how humans process sound and music, and its repercussions on life in general...
  12. turnitup

Cassette Revival (again)

Have read a few articles on the revival of cassette tapes, here’s the latest. With the mechanical nature of cassette tapes and decks, still surprises me they are on some sort of a comeback… https://news.yahoo.com/ndas-obsessive-buyers-400-sublime-154214949.html
  13. turnitup

Vandersteen 2CI Burned Resistors

I acquired a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci’s about 15 years ago, with known issues. I was about to get rid of them, but decided to dig into them to see if I could get them working again. One speaker had a blown tweeter, and a blown woofer. I tore the drivers down and was able to repair both of them...
  14. turnitup

Need suggestions for a portable system for vacation/ on the go…

Heading out for a vacation in a number of weeks and MUST take my music with me. Anyone have a good/strong opinion on a small Bluetooth portable little one piece speaker/amp setup? Lots on the market, I know but want to filter through to get something decent. Will be using my iPhone and Spotify...
  15. turnitup

Pickup Load of Tube/SS

Repair Manuals, central coast California - “Sam's Photofacts”. No relation… https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/d/nipomo-full-set-of-sams-photofacts/7513700968.html
  16. turnitup

Revival of the CD…

https://news.yahoo.com/how-to-survive-the-inevitable-cd-revival-130013506.html
  17. turnitup

Bad Ass Brass…

Grew up with a brass instrument in my hand. Followed Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago, Bill Chase (Chase), Maynard Ferguson and others early on. Still love the vibe. Just enjoying some Chicago, Transit Authority, “Beginnings”. Great brass, 60’s jammer. Whole albums got some 60’s angst and...
  18. turnitup

Man Cave Concert!?!

I’ve got a man cave with a multitude of available speakers to listen to. Would a Sony STR-DG720 (7.1) really power 3 sets of 8 ohm vintage speakers, and a sub? Can pick one up for a song, just curious...
  19. turnitup

AR Tweeter Diaphragm Replacements (AR12s)

Was just messing with an RCA cable on my receiver, and sent a lethal signal to a pair of vintage AR12s. Blew both tweeters…ugh… Does anyone know if the diaphragms can be replaced on these, and if so a known source? Mid 70s tweeters from the Teledyne lineage. 8 ohm tweeters as I am reading...
  20. turnitup

Who introduced you to (Quality) Hifi?

At age 14, one of my best friend’s father owned a local appliance store. It was the mid 70’s, and he had an absolutely amazing Marantz quadraphonic setup (always brought home/had the latest). Even with the elevator music he liked to play, I knew (standing in the very middle of that room, where...
  21. turnitup

Very Early “Chime” Remote Controls

When I was a young teenager, my first job was working for an appliance store on the weekends. I’d sweep the floors, unpack appliances, and help with deliveries. We took trade-ins on purchases. Some things could be refurbished and sold as used, and other things were either parted out, or just...
  22. turnitup

Ultra HD = AM Radio?

We are at the threshold of a new era in music playback my friends, mark the date… Ultra HD is coming to the masses. With hardware like the WIIM streamers coming online for less than $90 bucks, and HD (ultra HD?) subscriptions for 7.99 a month/individual or 14.99 for a family of 6, are we there...
  23. turnitup

Crossover - Polarized vs Non polarized Caps

I’m working on some 60’s University speakers and need to order some new crossover caps. Normally I replace all of the caps with poly caps, but this beast has a 200uf and 250uf cap in it and I’m not going to spend $300 to replace these with polys. Both of these caps are polarized, which I...
  24. turnitup

University Audio Mediterranean

Ugly...check Big & Ugly..check Big & Ugly & 60’s look...check Looks like something out of grandma’s house...check Make in Oklahoma City...check A subsidiary of Altec...Hmmmmm... Ok, had this one on ice for awhile and decided to crack it open, a University Audio Mediterranean. Built in the...
  25. turnitup

Apple Express—>$100—>Ahhh!

Would like to place a ~$100 DAC between my Apple Express and my vintage receiver. Streaming from Spotify, Amazon, etc. What say yee???
Back
Top Bottom