Search results

1. G

My Garrard Lab 80 Obsession

The Sams Photofact sheets for Garrard Lab 80 and 80 Mk II (and Type A and Type A70) include a blow-by-blow description of the auto cycle.
  2. G

See next post. I hit Send too soon and there seems to be no way to delete.
  3. G

I have never had a Garrard Autoslim-chassis or RC88/Type A chassis motor completely dismount from the chassis, either. The washer is too large to pass through the hole. Perhaps if someone had OMITTED the washer (which would not affect operation if the motor were properly hanging from the...
  4. G

Merry Christmas to all...my Lab 80 is doing the honors playing the family Christmas records that my Dad started buying in 1948. This year I've decided on LPs only; in years when I play 78s, either the Type A70 or 70 Mk II get called upon. Their pusher platforms are the best record changing...
  5. G

Under normal circumstances they get no lube. If the bearing balls are missing, the arm has probably been damaged and the only way to get them back is by installing another tonearm, generally secondhand from a salvage unit. They were not supplied as their own part from Garrard.
  6. G

They were both bespoke parts made by Garrard itself, and not stock hardware. My Lab 80s do not have the large retaining clip. The platter sits on the tapered, rotating spindle and unless the unit is roughly handled or turned on its side or inverted, neither of which happens in normal use, the...
  7. G

They were built to stay within Garrard factory specs of +/- 2.0% with up to six records on the platter. Most ran a bit fast in single record play, and around +1% is typical.
  8. G

I have not seen any differences among the six motor isolators on the Lab 80. They do seem to be made of a rubber compound that is long-lasting.
  9. G

10. G

There are two springs in the mechanism of the Lab 80 Mk II which are critical to the proper operation of the single play auto cycle. I learned this when converting my Lab 80 to Lab 80 Mk II operation. They are the Spring for Switch-Off Link and the Spring for Auxiliary Lever. It turns out that...
  11. G

Greasing the platter bore and/or the tapered, rotating spindle helps, too. Speaking of bicycles... If you look on the Web for platter-off photos of Lab 80s, you will find that most have had the platter removed the wrong way. If the owners lost one or more thrust balls as a result, hopefully...
  12. G

YES! This happens because unlike in the Type A, Type A70 and 70 Mk II, this part in the Lab 80 is only pressed in. On those others, two stout setscrews hold it firmly in position; in fact in many, the two screws are difficult to unscrew for servicing. As noted: many times, in the process of...
  13. G

In the Lab 80 and 80 Mk II, the AUTO and MANUAL tab levers engage the same mechanism to turn the unit ON and latch in the ON position. In the attached photo (of an original Lab 80, converted to 80 Mk II operation): Both the AUTO (blue arrow) and MANUAL (red arrow) tab levers push against the...
  14. G

Try loosening the screw and adjusting this Stop (see image) for less travel of the Auto Trip Operating Lever, but enough to clear the rotating spindle until trip action is called for. There were variations of this part over production. The one shown is also supposed to have a rubber pad on it...
  15. G

"...Based on the little I know about their aesthetic different I was able to correctly guess they were both MK1's. Does anyone care to list out the visual difference? I have seen some of them mentioned here and there but never a complete list in one place."...
  16. G

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-garrard-lab-80-obsession.278625/page-13#post-6783908
  17. G

From the years when I was a part-time technician, to whom management entrusted all turntable repairs, I can say that most "technicians" could not handle servicing a Lab 80 beyond cleaning drive surfaces and wiping dust off the externals. They couldn't handle a Dual 1019 or an Elac Miracord...
  18. G

It is time for service on my Garrard 301. I take my time doing it, a little at a time over a week or two, sometimes more if I find something that needs further attention. I have learned over time that despite having other turntables around...Technics, Dual, AR...the only one that comes close to...
  19. G

What they are referring to is the free play you feel when you grip the pickup arm's pivot turret and pull it upwards. In my experience you are OK if the free play is up to 0.5mm/.02 inch. Excerpt from diagram in the Garrard factory service manual for the Lab 80: The pickup lever is 82/17; the...
  20. G

The Sams have an exploded diagram, which the Garrard factory manuals do not.
  21. G

Hi...if you want to dispose of your GE VR-1000, contact me at gpoon49@gmail.com I'd like to...

Hi...if you want to dispose of your GE VR-1000, contact me at gpoon49@gmail.com I'd like to experiment with one but given the low chance of success, wouldn't offer a lot, to be honest! Good luck...and I'm glad your Garrard 301 is up and running. It is a lifetime turntable. Mine will probably...
  22. G

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

The GE VR-1000 has a problem with old, dried-out rubber suspensions. The aftermarket replacement styli (GE is long gone from the audio business) are of poor quality, as though the makers didn't know how the VR-1000 worked! Some were glued together with adhesive that hardened, eliminating...
  23. G

Probably the geometry of the Lab 80 tonearm derives from that of the Type A, its precursor. That arm was found in a magazine test to have been very low and optimized for a cartridge with the dimensions of the Pickering 380. With cartridges having a different dimension between the axis between...
  24. G

Downloadable strobe discs: http://keystrobe.com/Discs.html
  25. G

But every time you do that, it's liable to cost you more!
Back
Top Bottom