Search results

1. electronjohn

Nissan 5 speed question

So, my trusty 98 Frontier developed a whine in 1st and 2nd a few months back. My mechanic speculated that the synchros were failing. Since then, it's only gotten worse and now 3rd, 4th and, to a little bit, 5th are affected. And, it's louder. Lots louder. I'm worried it's past rebuilding...
  2. electronjohn

Happy 88th Birthday to the DC-3!!

On December 17th, 1935 the first DC-3 took to air. At the time known as the DST (Douglas Sleeper Transport), non-sleeper versions became known as the DC-3, and of, course military transports as the C-47 "Dakota"...but fondly remembered as the "Gooney Bird". Well over 10,000 ended up rolling...
  3. electronjohn

Weird tire names

We're all familar with big names such as Goodyear, Firestone, Continental and many others. But what about weird ones? A couple come immediately to mind: "Revenger" I'd be worried about driving near a vehicle sportin' these. "Wild Sprit" Pretty much the same feeling. Then there's the set...
  4. electronjohn

Oshkosh bound?

I'm toying with the idea of a quickie trip to Oshkosh for AirVenture 2023. Up at 3AM, drive 6-7 hours, enjoy the show, then head back. Prime reason for this craziness? I would LOVE to see "Bataan" in the air. After years of work and millions of bucks, MacArthur's personal Constellation is...
  5. electronjohn

Bud's gone

No doubt many of you are aware of the passing yesterday of one Harry Peter Grant...better known as "Bud". Bud packed a lot into those 95 years...HS sports standout, football, basketball and baseball at the U of M...on to pro hoops with the old Minneapolis Lakers (on their 1950 championship...
  6. electronjohn

Burkina Faso: the new Nigeria?

I always take a peek at the various "financial opportunities" that end up in my spam folder, and have noticed an uptick in the number based in Burkina Faso. New Internet cafes opening up? BTW: Got one the other day from Moamar Quadaffi's daughter.:) Not from BK, though.
  7. electronjohn

Don't forget the furnace filter!

Yesterday my wife complained that the furnace "sounded weird" and it wasn't as warm in the house as she thought it would be. So, down the basement I went. Couldn't wait for the end of the current heat cycle to check the filter, so popped off the lid over the filter slot and could see that the...
  8. electronjohn

Mandy Patinkin's system

We DVR "Jeopardy" and watch the following day...sometimes building up a few episodes and binging. Last night we watched the final semi-final from this past Friday. Mandy Patinkin was giving video clues regarding his career, and I noted the setting included his system. Video wasn't great, but...
  9. electronjohn

Not-so-new truck

Well, "Ol' Henry", my 98 F-150, was telling me he was on his last legs at just over 200K. Muffler rot set in, then an exhaust manifold leak manifested itself. Then, after not driving it for about a week, the final request for recycling came. He started immediately, and right away for a second...
  10. electronjohn

A Sucky Week

Back on the 12th or so my wife developed a nasty, nasty cough. Took a home test a couple days later and it was negative. But, we were suspicious. Her cough didn't get any better, so it was off to the clinic Monday for the "good test". Positive. I immediately took a home test myself...and...
  11. electronjohn

Detached Retina? Don't delay!

I decided to post this in General Off-Topic rather than the Pub so that all AKer's could see it. It was 2 weeks ago today, late in the day, and I noticed a curved, blurry area in the lower left corner of my right eye's field of vision. I thought "gunk on my glasses", cleaned them, and the spot...
  12. electronjohn

B&O tech in Minnesota

A friend acquired a non-functional B&O turntable. I'm leery of unbuttoning this thing, so does anyone know of a good B&O tech in Minnesota? Thanks in advance!
  13. electronjohn

A notable birthday - December 17

December 17, 1935. The immortal DC-3 first took to the air.
  14. electronjohn

ENTRESTO ad mystery car

Can anyone identify the little red convertible in the Entresto TV ad? I'm thinking it's some sort of Datsun...but may be wrong.
  15. electronjohn

"Ratched"

So...who's watching? We're up to Episode 4...some pretty weird shit goin' on.
  16. electronjohn

A couple of important aviation birthdays today.

Today's the 117th anniversary of the Wright Brothers first flight. And, 85 years ago today, the immortal Douglas DC-3 first took flight. It's likely some 3's will still be earning their keep in 2035. What a bird.
  17. electronjohn

RIP Chuck Yeager

The original man with "The Right Stuff" has passed at the ripe old age of 97. What a life!!!
  18. electronjohn

Koss question

Anyone know if Koss still provides service support? I sent them an e-mail regarding a pair of PRO4-AAAs of mine and never heard back. Hmmmm.
  19. electronjohn

Sid Hartman gone...at 100.

If you're from Minnesota (and possibly one of our neighboring states) you'll know exactly who I'm referring to. Started out selling papers on the street in 1928, and ended up on the sports desk of one of the predecessors of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in 1944. Sid ended up with 21,335...
  20. electronjohn

Some Jetta love

We're coming up on 3 years of ownership of our 2013 Jetta ES, and couldn't be more pleased. "Jazz" (my wife names ALL her cars) has racked up a bit over 30K since purchase and has been ultra-reliable, fun, and economical. Even driven "sportingly", that 2.5 5 cyl has consistently delivered...
  21. electronjohn

And "Away" we go...

Watched the first episode of "Away" last night...looks like we're going to enjoy this series.
  22. electronjohn

Perry Mason

So...anyone watch the first episode? DVR'd it and watched the other night. My wife was very skeptical...but after about 20 min said "I'm liking this!" Me, too. Pretty dark for sure. John Lithgow is good..and we get to meet Della Street. It'll be interesting to see how Perry gets away from...
  23. electronjohn

Flying sculpture

Sadly, there's only two flyable Connies left in the world...the one in the video is laid up in KC and, unless she gets a massive infusion of $$$ may never fly again. There are a few others in various stages of resurrection...so hope remains...
  24. electronjohn

A big fat bird

This video is a few years old but well worth a watch.
  25. electronjohn

Dustcover suggestions

My SL-3200 is starting to show its age...the dustcover refuses to stay open. I don't have any hinges in my parts stash...any suggestions on a fix other than finding a new set of hinges?
Back
Top Bottom