Search results

1. B

Buying an entire unit for one part...

I bought a Gemini turntable on Ebay, and it was damaged in shipping, breaking the dust cover. I bought another lower end model for cheap just for the dust cover, and told them to send me the cover and deposit the rest in the trash to save on shipping. After about a year, I accidentally knocked...
  2. B

James Cameron's TITANIC

It'll never be my favorite movie, but I liked Titanic enough to buy the DVD at GW. A pretty good more serious movie about the Titanic is A Night To Remember (1958). I have the VHS tape. I need to pick it up on disc some day.
  3. B

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Doctors offices that can't keep their shit together. I had an appointment, and they marked me down as a no-show because the discharge paperwork from the hospital said it was going to be a phone appointment. Then, I got to the rescheduled appointment, and they had no idea what medications I was...
  4. B

Girls on LP cover - REDUX

If it was only a buck or so, I probably still would have bought it.:) According to Discogs, a lot of them had this cover instead. I think I got the better one.:thumbsup:
  5. B

Those were later Columbia recordings. According to the jacket, these are reissues of earlier Mercury recordings. I actually just got through transferring it to the computer because there are a couple songs and recordings of his songs on there that I have never heard anywhere else.
  6. B

I bought this because I like Johnny Horton. The cover was a bonus.:)
  7. B

Big arse storm comin'...

Yep, I always run snow tires on my 2wd vehicles. I have them on my POS Caravan, and I have been getting in and out of the driveway even when the state plows the end full of the packed salted shit.:rant: I am actually amazed how well it does. It'll push snow against the bottom of the bumper...
  8. B

I guess I should have researched it more and/or asked the seller to measure the depth. I have at least one of each, and from what I can tell, the SL B, Q, and D series turntables had dust covers that look the same but have three different depths. The regular SLs, I have no clue. My SL1300...
  9. B

Not too long ago, I bought a Technics turntable on Ebay just for the dust cover..... and it didn't fit the turntable that I bought it for.:rolleyes: Oops. After I put a new belt on it, it seems like a decent little P mount 'table, and it was really cheap. I just didn't really need it.
  10. B

question about Magnavox Record Player Needle.

Elliptical styli generally have a little better fidelity and high end detail / definition than conical styli, but cost a little more. Conicals can sound slightly better on worn or damaged records and are usually cheaper. That's pretty much the condensed version.
  11. B

Big arse storm comin'...

Looks to be the same heater we have. We have another one that needs the new wick I have put in it. I just never got around to doing it.
  12. B

Big arse storm comin'...

I guess we are lucky. The plumbing is all in the basement and not in the exterior walls in this dump, so even as poorly (read not at all in places) as it is insulated, the water has never frozen inside, even several years ago when it never got above zero for a couple weeks at a time. When it...
  13. B

Whats on your computer?

My computer crap is nothing special. Dell Optiplex 7020 mini-tower: i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Bluray RW, ancient Hauppauge PVR150 analog video capture card Running Linux Mint Cinnamon Debian Edition Dell Latitude 6430s: i7, 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM Running Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE Dell...
  14. B

Just a representation of how big cars have become.

My little 2wd '84 Ford Ranger was pretty fun to drive. When I went across the scales hauling junk to the scrap yard, it weighed ~2300 lbs, and with the 2.3 turbo and 5 speed that I swapped in, it ran pretty good. If I stayed out of the boost, gas mileage was good, too.:) I don't know why they...
  15. B

Big arse storm comin'...

I am getting really sick of winter and this damn mountain. The snow and ice just won't go away. I just went to Lowes to get plumbing parts for the new house and to try to find some salt for the front steps because the ice is about 2" thick, and you can't even walk on them without hanging on...
  16. B

Heads up Tracfone users

For 10 bucks, if it is at all usable and produces listenable sound, I will be more than satisfied.
  17. B

Whats on your computer?

I had a set of 2.1 Altec Lansing computer speakers hooked to my desktop. I liked the sound, but they were showing their age and starting to hiss and be noisy at certain volumes. Now, I have a little Realistic SA-155 integrated amp and a pair of Sony SS B1000 bookshelf speakers hooked to it...
  18. B

Heads up Tracfone users

The service on my "dumb" Tracfone ends tomorrow and will become a paperweight, so I ordered my new phone and minutes/data card. For a refurbished LG Android smartphone and a 2GB/unlimited talk and text card from Net10, the total was $33.77. I also bought a 64GB micro SD card so I have some...
  19. B

Educated guess.:)
  20. B

What was the last movie you watched?

I just ordered the 2:59 version to replace my old 2:41 version last night.:thumbsup:
  21. B

I wouldn't be so sure that is a P mount cartridge. I don't see the screw that typically holds them in place, and I also read that some of those Phillips turntables used an oddball proprietary cartridge that can't be replaced with anything else. Anyhow, here is a better price on the same stylus...
  22. B

Things you don't see anymore.

It's rare to see half dollars as well.
  23. B

What is one of your most prized LPs, and why?

Pretty much the same here. I have two copies of Buckingham Nicks. One came from the flea market for a buck, and the other from GW for a buck. I even found a copy at the flea market on 8 track.:)
  24. B

Stanton 500 - D5100EE Stylus

I have one of those and like it a lot too. The ones from the seller I bought from are still marked 1-2 grams on the package and in the description. It seems very compliant and tracks well at 2g. I have never tried it at less.
  25. B

Linux just keeps getting better - cool new TV streaming program

Exactly. It's hard to expect perfection from these open source projects right from the start. Some of them have been around for years and aren't that great.
Back
Top Bottom