Search results

1. cyto

Laptop with Daphile vs Wiim Pro for streaming to external DAC

As the title says. I have a 20 year old Acer Aspire that I loaded Daphile on and have used it with an Emotiva preamp (I sold the Emotiva) via USB. Now I have a Geshelli Labs J2, with USB, coming in which will go to my main preamp. I will be streaming Tidal and/or Qobuz and wonder if getting a...
  2. cyto

My DIY enclosure build for a small power supply

I have been making my own DIY enclosures for electronics for years and have a YouTube channel (not monetized) where I upload build videos. I recently made a LM317 based 12vdc power supply for a DAC I bought and decided to make a video but focus on the enclosure. If anyone is interested, if not...
  3. cyto

Teac CR unit spark arrestor replacement

I am refurbishing a Teac reel to reel and one of the CR units (400VAC, 0.1uF cap + 120R resistor) has a lead broken off and I need to replace it. I believe they are spark arrestors. I have 630V film caps and 1W, 120R resistors. Can just put them in series and use that to replace it?
  4. cyto

Teac A-4070 hot chassis

I picked up this Teac A-4070 reel to reel a month or so ago as my new project. It was pretty rough from dirt and neglect, it powered on but that is all. I got it going but have been replacing bad capacitors and fixing bad connections and switches. Now it has developed a hot chassis. I hadn't...
  5. cyto

2SC733(Y) substitute needed

I am refurbishing a Teac A-4070 reel to reel and need to replace 3 types of transistors. I am having trouble finding a sub for one of them. This is what I need: 2SA494(Y) the KSA992FTA should be ok for this. 2SC732(BL) the KSC1845 should be ok for this (I have a bunch on hand too)...
  6. cyto

My preamp build video

I built this preamp from schematics last summer/fall and just now got around to making a video. I must say that I love the sound. Pretty much all of the info is in the video. This matches a 3wpc power amp I built about a year ago.
  7. cyto

My latest preamp build

This is a preamp based on the 6N6P tube. It was designed by Doug De Young at Bugamps (they will be offering their kit version soon I think). He kindly offered me PCB's if I wanted build it so I took him up on it. The original design has one input and one output, I built it with 3 inputs and 2...
  8. cyto

Opinions of these preamps?

I decided to get a new preamp, with a good phono stage, to drive a 3wpc tube amp I built. Yeah I know a separate phono pre can be better. I have built quite a few phono stages over the years and I want a good built in to fall back on and I need a preamp anyway. I use mostly MC cartridges with a...
  9. cyto

Just finished an amp build

It is a 3wpc amp using 6E5P tubes. Push pull circuit with a source follower FET power supply. I made a build video, here is a link if anyone is interested:
  10. cyto

Pioneer SX-1100 SQ?

I can pick up a Pioneer SX-1100 pretty cheap but wonder about the sound quality of this model. I know it has a single STK Darlington pack for 25wpc and it is from about 1987. Can't do a test and just curious about others experience. Anyone heard one of these?
  11. cyto

Sanyo Plus 55

Just picked up this Sanyo Plus 55 at a thrift store for $19. It sounds great, all it really needs are the pots and faceplate cleaned, easy. I read that the power switch is prone to failure and am thinking of doing the triac fix I read about. Probably won't change the electrolytics unless they...
  12. cyto

What are these speakers?

These are in a thrift store for $25, there are no identifiers other than "wolverine " on the dial on the back. That is only on one speaker.
  13. cyto

Jelco SA-370H vs Origin Live Alliance

I am replacing the tonearm on my highly modified Technics SL-1200M3D with either a Jelco Sa-370h or an Origin Live Alliance. Bearing issues on the 1200 arm. Which would you choose?
  14. cyto

Olympic tube radio refurb question

This is an Olympic AFM-25 tube radio my wife got as a high school graduation gift in 1967. I replaced a couple of capacitors a few years ago, but it has stopped working again. The circuit board is old and almost unusable, so I am thinking of a rebuild, just for the heck of it. I was a CET in the...
  15. cyto

Cornet 2 RIAA tweaks?

I have been tweaking the RIAA filters in this Hagerman Cornet 2, it is an octal hybrid with an external PSU and switchable from 6N2P to 12AX7 gain stages. I was thinking of using potentiometers to adjust the filters (don't really have room to put stepped attenuators that would give me the...
  16. cyto

SS rectifier?

I am in the process of making a separate power supply for my Cornet 2 phonostage (schematic attached), the reasons are that I want to put my Cinemags in there and need room, I don't want the Cinemags close to the tranny, every audio device that I have ever built sounded better with an external...
  17. cyto

Denon 103R on a modded Technics 1200?

I am going to start my foray into MC carts and want to start with the Denon 103R. From what I have read it likes a heavy tonearm and the Technics 1200 tonearm is medium? I have a 1200 M3D with cardas wire going directly to RCA jacks, KAB fluid damper, heatshrink on the tone arm, external PSU...
  18. cyto

Record stores in Vegas

I am going to Vegas on vacation this Saturday. I should have time to hit one record store. Recommendations?
  19. cyto

RX-730 receiver question

I just pick this up at Goodwill for $14, it had some issues with overheating and the display light not working. They ended up being caused by poor connections, so that is fixed (BTW I went to electronics repair school in the 70s and worked as a tech back in the day, licensed and CET). This...
  20. cyto

Stylus pix before and after Mr Clean magic eraser

I usually dip the stylus into a magic eraser after each listening session. The "before" picture is after playing 3 albums that had been cleaned with a DIY ultrasonic and looked pristine. The "after" picture is after 3 or 4 dips into a piece of Magic Eraser (generic brand). Had to get my...
  21. cyto

6SN7 recommendation

I am converting my Hagerman Cornet 2 phono stage to the "octal hybrid" version. Which uses a 6SN7 for the output/cathode follower stage rather than a 12AU7. I don't have have any in my tube inventory so I will need to purchase. Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6SN7 in this application...
  22. cyto

Record stores in Cozemel, Mexico

Leaving on a cruise in a couple of hours and stopping in Cozemel. Anyone know if there are record stores there. Google search on my phone doesn't show any.
  23. cyto

Technics 1200 external psu

Well I finally did the external power supply mod to my Technics SL-1200M3D (DIY version). Did notice a quitter background as soon as I turned it on. I used mostly parts I had on hand so it ended up costing $20. Basically the Technics transformer with a bridge rectifier and filter. Used 20ga XLR...
  24. cyto

Lava lamp?

Thinking of getting a lava lamp, I know they do generate some electrical interference. Has anyone had problems with lava lamps and turntables or phonograph stages?
  25. cyto

Music server advise

I was thinking of getting a music server, I have about 500GB of MP3 and WAV files and want to play them occasionally through my two channel system (see signature). Playing from a thumb drive would be OK, my Emotiva CD player has optical and coaxial inputs so I can use the DAC in it if needed. I...
Back
Top Bottom