Search results

1. KeninDC

Today's SOUL Playlist

Sorry I missed this. Spending time at the beach with my wife, daughter, and dogs.
  2. KeninDC

What was the last movie you watched?

Most M*A*S*H TV episodes had some sort of point. Altman's rambling flicks, occasionally entertaining, aren't really known for conciseness. My dad - Vietnam vet - loved M*A*S*H, especially the drinking scenes.
  3. KeninDC

Member jimfet has passed - RIP

Dude was funny whether off topic or on topic. Will miss that frog.
  4. KeninDC

I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

Solid, last forever, without the hassles of an automatic or battery-based. I've got one Citizen Eco and just purchased a Citizen diver watch for my lovely wife. Her Momentum diver (posted way earlier in this thread) took its final dump. I cannot recommend Momentum watches. Had hers repaired...
  5. KeninDC

The Best Digital Mastering Shops

The Tone Poet series of LPs from Blue Note borders on no-brainer territory. Excellent jazz picks and all-analog mastering for you analog heads.
  6. KeninDC

Record stores selling USED records... What should we expect?

The Feelies have a new, double LP of Velvet Underground tunes, recorded live, that's pretty darn good. I bought it new and cleaned it.
  7. KeninDC

Not with window cleaner. I use a record cleaning fluid called Phoenix. Spray with the fluid. Wipe in circles. Rinse in the sink with lukewarm water, avoiding water on the inner label. Do the flipside. Let dry on soft white t-shirt after dabbing up the excess water with a soft white t-shirt...
  8. KeninDC

Speaking of crap shoots, picked up an original LP of The Feelies' The Good Earth off of Ebay from a 100% seller. Sounded like eggs frying in the background when I tested it. One clean and it was darn near perfect. I clean every record, used or brand spanking new that comes in the house.
  9. KeninDC

As long as I can inspect the LP, I'm cool. And, yes, I examine the deadwax too. Picked up an "RL" Led Zep II for $25.00.
  10. KeninDC

Scuzzer is no longer with us.

Thanks for letting us know. Early on, Scuzzer was on the short list of reasons why I hung around AK. He would usually check in once a year with me. RIP Gary. Ken
  11. KeninDC

New music doesn't all suck, does it?

Brian Jonestown Massacre (been around since the 90s) played this recent gem, "Ineffable Mindfuck," when I saw them last month.
  12. KeninDC

In the spirit if the season, wife and I watched John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) last night. Simple, taut movie, really. Carpenter was obviously influenced by Italian giallo flicks. And, of course, Hawks' The Thing which plays in the background while Jamie Lee Curtis (Laurie) is babysitting...
  13. KeninDC

Merrylander is fine and doing well!

True gentleman.
  14. KeninDC

That Kurt Vile "Roses" song you posted above starts with clear vocals and then the chorus goes deep into the sonic mud toward the end of the song, illustrating the importance of the mix. I've got a few Kurt Vile LPs in my collection. Always liked his slacker drawl delivery. For the record...
  15. KeninDC

I like my vocals a bit buried in the mix (see, Stones' Exile) so that wall of guitars and your daughter's excellent chops worked for me.
  16. KeninDC

Roadhouse is a classic "must watch" if you stumble upon it on the TV. Will have to tee that one up too. I can get away with action flicks with the wife as long as the actors look good. Watched Sam Elliott in Lifeguard (1976) last year and it does not deserve the scorn it gets. A tight, short...
  17. KeninDC

Point Break (1991). Gary Busey is over-the-top as always and Reeves is perfect as QB turned FBI agent and bad surfer Johnny Utah. Bigelow can direct some great action scenes. Swayze's best role. Wife loves this flick for the beefcake. Invincible (2006). Marky Mark makes the Eagles. More...
  18. KeninDC

Official Grateful Dead Thread

Saw Dark Star Orchestra las night. They played January 11, 1978 so I've been listening to that show today. 2nd set is a big ol' "Playing" sandwich with "St. Stephen" as an ingredient. Yum.
  19. KeninDC

Winter/Snow boots

Also have a dark brown almost black pair of Iron Rangers with black Vibram soles. Great darn boot.
  20. KeninDC

Winter/Snow boots

Sorels for futzing around outside the house. Merrell winter hiking boots for hiking (duh). Red Wing for visiting breweries and 4WD adventures in the snow. A man cannot have too many pairs of practical, rugged manly boots.
  21. KeninDC

British Invasion - Who's Number Four?

Best song from '64 to '68 is "Jumping Jack Flash" (1968). Jimmy Miller's first Stones production. Back to rock & roll with enough psych (from Satanic) to keep things fresh. Monster riff. Maybe the best rock & roll song ever. A beast live before they started rushing through it ('76 and '77)...
  22. KeninDC

Rebel. Camper Van Beethoven does a good cover.
  23. KeninDC

Keith's slashing solo is perfect. I've often said I prefer "Dead Flowers" to the entire Beatles catalogue.
  24. KeninDC

Loved his cocaine and booze. My listening habits: Stones by a mile. A moonlight mile. Who Kinks Beatles
  25. KeninDC

Why Does My Tube Amp Sound Awful? (Newb)

Your KEFs like power. I've got 100 wpc with my integrated Yamaha at my beach house with KEF bookshelf speakers. Marantz integrated is another option. At home, I run a ModWright tube linestage with NOS tubes with a Marantz power amp. Super happy with the Marantz that replaced a more expensive...
Back
Top Bottom