Search results

1. dgunnr

What vintage speakers are you using with your Marantz receiver?

Marantz HD-880. Very underrated speaker on this site. As a long time seller of Marantz, still amazed at the reaction of first time listeners. Just about every receiver sold from my home, person wanted to buy a Marantz speaker set as well. Another good speaker, but very rare, would be the...
  2. dgunnr

Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

2024 updated Marantz 2270 Champagne and Silver engraved survey. Have not done this in awhile. This survey covers serial #1,000-5,000 only. I have also confirmed it did most likely stop at the 5,000 number since I have documented many units just after 5,000 to 6,000+ that are heavily brushed...
  3. dgunnr

Need strong opinions on the Marantz 2270 please

I wish I could sit here and pretend I have that sophisticated of a listening ear. I don’t. As prior writer stated, you need to hear both. That being said the 2270 is not my favorite Marantz either but I do own it.
  4. dgunnr

5. dgunnr

Marantz DS 940

I stand corrected!
  6. dgunnr

Marantz DS 940

no 940 12" woofer, 920 has 10" woofer. 940 does sound better due to better bass and higher range.
  7. dgunnr

Marantz DS 940

940's are 4 way verse 920's which are 3 way. !0' inch bass woofer and no super tweeter is the difference. I own the 920's besides the 940's and many other Marnntz speakers. I think the DS line by far is the best looking and may even be the nicest of any speaker design that i know of!
  8. dgunnr

Marantz DS 940

Any 12" bass from the DS or HD series will fit. The 880 and 940 has the same part number (directly from the service data sheets for both models). I'm guessing the 770 and 930 share the same 12" woofer. Good luck finding two woofers. It's going to be tough and expensive but i will say the...
  9. dgunnr

Marantz DS 940

10. dgunnr

I should be very noticeable in face plate appearance. Yes 78 unit made. That really will not affect value much compared any other engraved unless you had first or last one. Remember there all rare, condition more important since you cannot buy a replica. The silver engraved are much rarer...
  11. dgunnr

The History Of Marantz

Don’t know of anything not going up in price these days. Vintage audio is simple supply and demand and nothing you can do about it. But thing to do if your not willing to pay avg prices is not complain about it.
  12. dgunnr

Marantz 2275 - little mark on the faceplate

Based on the photo nothing that I know of will hide or fix this. You’re better off following link and buying a replacement. The silver ones look like original and your unit will look new again. Trying to fix will only make it look worse. If available, I would snatch a replacement up ASAP!
  13. dgunnr

VT, NH, Boston repair/service recommendations?

Chris Ready from Philadelphia is very good with the 4400 (Ready Audio). Hopefully he is still doing repairs. I know he is not in the Vermont area, but you may have a problem finding a shop for this unit period. That is a very complex unit that most shops are not capable of repairing.
  14. dgunnr

A different, but still upsetting, Marantz 2270

Maybe even wiped the top down….good to go!!!
  15. dgunnr

Christmas Story

About 3/4 of my nieces, nephews and son have all expressed interest in me giving them a stereo component (receiver and/or speakers). My 26 y/o niece will get a set of restored HD-880’s and maybe a restored receiver for her upcoming wedding present. Don’t think I’m ready to part with any of my...
  16. dgunnr

Thoughts on 2270/2275/2285/2285b/2325

Due to the cost of these units the 2285B and 2275 would make a lot of sense. If you have a bit more coin the 2325 or 2330B. One problem i have with these discussions is I don't know if the units being mentioned are restored, partially restored or original. Believe me, world of difference...
  17. dgunnr

Thoughts on 2270/2275/2285/2285b/2325

Since this is opinion i will throw out my two cents. Backdrop- I have owned nearly every Marantz unit except the 2600 that this thread is discussing. All the units I own, or owned, were fully restored so a even comparison can be made. I have sold around 100 fully restored units in this power...
  18. dgunnr

Marantz Face Plate colors - Champagne & Gold

On the 2270's, late in the engraved production run near 5,000 silver engraved units did use a very heavy brushed finish. One of the first 2270's engraved units i ever owned had this finish. At the time i was not researching this so I don't know what the serial number was. However, i can vouch...
  19. dgunnr

Christmas Story

Not sure. Will find out and post. I run my 2330B with Marantz DS 940’s.
  20. dgunnr

Christmas Story

I recently sold a restored Marantz 2330B. The amount is not important. The buyer who bought the unit purchased it for his 30 something son. Besides being one hell of a generous father I was more happy that a much younger generation will be afforded the opportunity to listen to a vintage...
  21. dgunnr

That is the 78th unit made. Very low serial number. That is a keeper. Hope you bring it back to life!
  22. dgunnr

Black Face Plates, pro and con

You’re right, several years ago there were some very nice reproductions in black. Right now the only option are the ones made in Germany. The German reproductions also have a textured finish that just doesn’t seem right. I don’t really care for them. The biggest benefit I saw in the...
  23. dgunnr

Black Face Plates, pro and con

Don’t like the red at all. Black faceplates look nice, especially the 4400 (blue scope) and 2325. Really matter of personal preference. I have an original European black face 2285B that is beautiful but the silver face looks better with walnut 3 piece cabinet. Again, personal preference like...
  24. dgunnr

Wow, this i a prime example of hard it is to be accurate with this survey. Another problem is some owners (mostly resellers) do not know the difference between the champagne engraved color and regular silver. Some have even listed non engraved units as engraved and vise versa. I always try...
  25. dgunnr

I have to admit this has me stumped. I have records of around 7 units between 5012-5300 that are not engraved. This supported the notion the engraved units did end around 5,000 +/-. This particular unit means the engraved line was not finished.
Back
Top Bottom