Search results

1. intro6

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

You're reading the chart wrong. Read some of the prior replies for further explanation.
  2. intro6

No, not really. These charts are regularly produced to show market share trends together with total market trends. Notice how each of the market shares add up to the total? They aren't just used in the music industry but in a whole range of industries - even beyond sales & marketing too. The...
  3. intro6

Maybe width was the wrong word. Vertical thickness would be more accurate. It's not an overlaid chart. It's a percentage of sales chart, done as a year-to-year bar chart since a pie chart wouldn't work for showing year-to-year trend.
  4. intro6

It's by the width of the individual colors, not their peak levels. The color widths are showing percentages of the whole sales pie.
  5. intro6

How "analog" can digital music sound?

That's a good point that I didn't consider. They may be under standing orders from the"suits" to have this compressed "loudness" present in so much of the popular music and perhaps many or even most of them may not like it but have no choice. It seems though that certain major artists have the...
  6. intro6

The point is simply that cassettes became the dominant music media for a period of time in the latter 1980s, which coincided with a large decline of LPs, something which the chart reflects well. Also, there are two green colors, one for the LPs and one for the 45 singles. I was basically tying...
  7. intro6

Most definitely - that's where the money's at for the music industry. I think you're right, but it would be difficult if not impossible to quantify & categorize those. Unlike with new stuff, the music industry has zero interest in tracking and charting those CDs, even if they could. Probably...
  8. intro6

But when the record stores took them away and the newer at the time CDs cost double the alternative format (cassettes), many of us were kind of forced to. Actually, prerecorded cassettes had a quantum leap in quality in the middle of the '80s, perhaps because they had become the dominant...
  9. intro6

Not true where I lived (in So Cal) at least. Through much of the 1980s CDs only occupied a relatively small (but gradually growing) section of the chain record stores while cassettes occupied more floor space. Look up the RIAA sales numbers. Prerecorded cassettes totally dominated music sales...
  10. intro6

It wasn't CDs that sunk vinyl in the 1980s - it was cassettes, which then later on, of course, got sunk by CDs. Yeah, prerecorded cassettes ruled for a big part of the '80s. I remember being dismayed when all of the record stores got rid of all of their LPs (45s lasted a little bit longer then...
  11. intro6

I agree with you. Both can sound great. I think what matters most is the end goal of how it sounds rather than digital vs. analog. Yeah, you don't hear much about that, but I'm quite sure it's happening, considering that the recording process has been so overwhelmingly digital for some time...
  12. intro6

There really are a whole lot of CDs that were released '90s onward that sound great but yes, you do have to avoid those overly compressed "loudness wars" CDs which tend to occupy a good portion of the pop charts. There are still many artists who don't go for that sound. Also be suspicious of...
  13. intro6

^^ Is there actually special circuitry in that CD player that will "expand" the dynamic range of these "loudness" CDs with their limited dynamic ranges? I didn't think that was possible but am certainly willing to find out otherwise. Maybe it's the music artists I like, but I've personally had...
  14. intro6

I personally think that the issues (or problems) today lie more on the production side of things (at least with some music) rather than the reproduction side. Sure, there is a significant difference between the good audio equipment and the cheapo stuff like there always has been, but I think the...
  15. intro6

I'm sure those records do really sound great but the problem is that the number of music acts that record that way is extremely limited and the cost of those discs are, I'm sure, significantly higher. Still, the concept is intriguing. At least as important, if not more important than the...
  16. intro6

So it's really the fault of those recording engineers, not the CD which, by design, is fully capable of going from the softest sounds imaginable to the absolutely ear shattering. The vast majority of music doesn't approach the lower limit and even the loudest (relatively speaking) doesn't get...
  17. intro6

Where were YOU during the great receiver wars of the 70's?

I was in high school and still using my Sears modular stereo that had AM/FM, phonograph and 8-track all-in-one. I didn't finally buy a separate receiver until I bought my JVC RX-350, which was somewhat after I had bought other separate components: 2 cassette decks, turntable and amplifier.
  18. intro6

Does anybody remember when Alternative went off the air right across North America?

I didn't realize that. KXSC must be too weak of signal to pick up from where I'm at, because I don't think I heard it when I scanned through the AM dial not that long ago just for the hell of it (something I rarely do). I'm guessing they probably stream though like the other hard to receive...
  19. intro6

Does anybody remember when Alternative went off the air right across North America?

There's a radio station in Los Angeles which is definitely "alternative" & has been that way since the 1980s at least - that's KROQ 106.7, which I believe was a groundbreaker in the format. Another "alternative" station is KYSR 98.7 which calls themselves ALT. Sort of alternative is KCBS 93.1...
  20. intro6

Audio as a hobby is dying ... ?

This is so true and it's easy to lose perspective about it here. Most people are simply satisfied with easy, convenient and good enough. It's ones like us who, in many varied degrees, actively seek higher audio quality, that are very much the minority in the overall scheme of things. I also...
  21. intro6

Walkman vs full size stereo setup

I'm willing to admit it up front - probably the main reason that I have a full separate components type stereo and am very much insistent on continuing to maintain one, is because I had one as a kid. It became a part of me then and I've simply never stopped loving it through the years. It's just...
  22. intro6

New music doesn't all suck, does it?

:idea: WTF? To each his own, I guess. I think people were saying that back in the earlier days too. It's okay not to swallow. ;)
  23. intro6

Interesting article on the state of the vinyl record industry

The idea that I had gotten was that it was more the non-audiophile vinyl diehards and old school deejays that kept the base alive during that low point, although I'm not saying there weren't some audiophiles in there too. Still, I seem to remember getting the impression back then that the...
  24. intro6

Oops! Just realized that I'd posted a duplicate replied-to comment. The 2nd one was actually meant to be a related comment. No need to restate the obvious at this point.
  25. intro6

Because it's interesting and kind of fun to know if they do, not that it's personally any big deal either way. My hunch is that the majority play their vinyl(s) on something, although in many cases that could be better described as a record player rather than a turntable. As previously...
Back
Top Bottom