Search results

1. Tillerman

Chorus 1 - slight variance in output between speakers

I have done some searching to find a similar question to mine, but nothing so far. So here goes: I have had Chorus 1s for roughly 20 years. They were updated with popbumper's (aka Chris Munson's) K-Stack crossovers back in the day. I will admit that I was not always aware of the issue I will...
  2. Tillerman

DGM Live (King Crimson, Robert Fripp, et al)

Has anyone here been able to register on their site or place an order recently? I have tried to register a few times over the past few weeks, but keep getting an error message regardless of the browser I use (Firefox and Chrome).
  3. Tillerman

Radio Swiss Jazz - other comparable stations?

I have come to enjoy listening to Radio Swiss Jazz (128kbps CBR feed). Does anyone have recommendations for other internet stations with similar jazz programming and at a higher resolution? Scott
  4. Tillerman

30th anniversary at work

This week was my 30th anniversary at work (yes, I know that is an extremely rare thing these days). At any rate, look what my boss bought for me with the company's money as a gift to mark this milestone.
  5. Tillerman

Yamaha C-2a questions

I have had a C-2a for several years, along with a C-4. I was looking at the specifications recently, and had a couple of questions: If the maximum input level is 1V for the Aux, Tuner and Tape, what happens when you use a CD player or DAC which have an output of ~ 2V? What is the decibel...
  6. Tillerman

Transcendent listening experience - Max Richter

Caught a track or two from this disc on MPR and was sufficiently intrigued to get it for myself. The disc is Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi The Four Seasons. Unusual for me, I sat down and listened to the whole disc in one session, just like I used to do back in the day. Oh my...
  7. Tillerman

Sony VFET question

I have Sony TAN-5550 that was restored by EW a few years ago that has developed an issue during the warm up phase. Most of the time it takes the left channel 20-30 seconds to reach full volume. The right channel is at full volume right after the relay clicks. Is this a sign of imminent VFET...
  8. Tillerman

Use of the Audio Muting button

I have a C-4 with this button. Does anybody use the button for level matching? In my case, using Klipsch speakers, I am limited to the 9 o'clock position of the volume control before things get too loud. If the mute function is engaged (-20dB), I can use more range on the volume control, with...
  9. Tillerman

HDCD DAC (Current or late model)?

Does anybody know of a current or late model stand alone DAC that can decode HDCD? I am currently running an Audio Alchemy DTI2>I2S> DDE3 to handle this now. Thanks!
  10. Tillerman

Echoes on public radio stream

Does anybody know of a internet pubic radio stream that carries Echoes and has a higher bit-rate then 128?
  11. Tillerman

Relation of stereo separation to sound stage

Since getting my T-85 back from dr*audio, I have noticed an apparent wider sound stage than my Nakamichi 430. In looking at the specifications for each I see: T-85 Stereo separation - 68 dB Nakamichi 430 Stereo separation - 50dB Both at 1 KHz So - is there a relationship between stereo...
  12. Tillerman

Format for Echoes, Hearts of Space, etc.

Does any one know what the shared format is for radio programs such as Echoes or Hearts of Space? In other words, how do these programs get broadcast all across the country at different times and stations?
  13. Tillerman

2 dB of gain - worth it?

I have an FM6 antenna currently, but I am considering the HD6055P because it has about 2 dB more gain at 98 MHz. Will I notice 2 dB more gain? Using a freshly restored and aligned Nakamichi 430 for reference and my preferred classical station is at 99.5 MHz.
  14. Tillerman

Attention to details

I finally got to some needed maintenance on my outdoor FM6 antenna today. I rolled the scaffold out so I could get to the antenna and replaced the cheap balun (indoor model) with a Channel Master unit with the solid wire connectors. While up there, I used DeOxit on the F connector and trimmed a...
  15. Tillerman

Stacked FM6 or single HD6055P antenna

Assuming the same mounting location on the roof, which would give better results for the money? Stacked Antennacraft FM6 Single Winegard HD6055P
  16. Tillerman

DDE, DTI and I2S

I recently got an Audio Alchemy DTI 2.0, DDE 3.0 and the I2S cable to join the 2 units for a reportedly ultra low jitter connection. Here is my question, as I did not get owner's manuals for either unit. When using the I2S cable to digitally link the DTI and DDE, are you supposed to get a...
  17. Tillerman

How far out do you have your Chorus or Cornwalls?

For those of you who can hear depth in your sound stage, how far out do you have your Chorus or Cornwall speakers from the wall behind them? Please indicate if you are measuring from the back or front of the speaker. Thanks!
  18. Tillerman

How quiet are SET amps on Klipsch?

How quiet are SET amps when no music is playing with the 96+ dB Klipsch speakers? Any hum or noise audible?:scratch2:
  19. Tillerman

Chorus (1) crossover - is it 1st order or???

Regarding the design of the Chorus (1) crossover, what order (or orders if different) is it?
  20. Tillerman

Looking for - innovative rock drummers

Here is what I mean by "innovative" - I love jazz drummers, who are typically very inventive or innovative. But I am a rock fan as well, but quickly get tired of rock drummers who just "bang" the drums with no dynamic shading or style shifts. I thought of this today while listening to the...
  21. Tillerman

Sony TAN-5550 VFET question

I do not have an owner's manual for this amp, but would like to find out what the input impedance is if you do have the owner's manual. Thanks!:scratch2:
  22. Tillerman

Horns, SET and VFET

Has anyone here done a listening test comparing a SET (tube) amp and VFET (SS) amp on their Klipsch or other horn speakers? FYI, I run Chorus and a Sony TAN-5550 VFET amp. Since one of the characteristics of VFET amps is their triode like sound, I am curious about the aforementioned...
  23. Tillerman

Records To Die For

Has this been done on AK before? If not, how about our own R2D4... Hopefully a good R2D4 will be one that: moves you sounds great (well recorded) has wide dynamic range (my personal bias) I will nominate my first R2D4 - The Dance - Fleetwood Mac. I will admit that my music...
  24. Tillerman

Preamps - thoughts

Through reading many posts on AK, I have learned about the importance of the preamp in the perceived reproduction of the music. My journey started with a Sony TA-4650 integrated amp which was later supplemented by a Carver C-1 preamp. This was my first introduction into removing a layer of audio...
  25. Tillerman

Input level - Yamaha C-2a preamp

I just got my C-2a from ePrey this week. Looking at the owner's manual, I was surprised to see the Aux/Tuner/Tape inputs listed as having a maximum input level of 1V (20Hz to 20kHz, 0.01% THD). While this is not a concern for a tuner or tape recorder, it does seem to be a problem for a CDP or...
Back
Top Bottom