Search results

1. stillspin'n

Knowledgeable Vintage Speaker Experts Needed

If you want a lot of bass in a big room with a 60 watt per channel receiver, you will want the speaker with the highest SPL rating possible. That generally means large speakers with big drivers.
  2. stillspin'n

Peavey Artist VT Hybrid Tube 112 Combo amp volume fades after about 8 minutes

I have worked on one of those amps but its been several years. It had a similar problem, as I remember, one of the driver transistors was bad. I replace both and I think some of the caps in the bias supply was off, and got replaced also. This is all based on a 10 year old memory, but the power...
  3. stillspin'n

Sherwood S-2660 CP and STK2250

Looks like one of the output transistors are shorted in the STK pack, the short you see between pins 11 and 12. Can't find a schematic on the net to look at the driver circuit, so I guess the best thing would be to check all the resistors near the pack and driver transistors for shorts. The...
  4. stillspin'n

Sherwood S-2660 CP and STK2250

Looks like that unit uses a single STK stereo chip, so maybe something else going on if the other channel works. Compare voltages from the good channel to the bad channel.
  5. stillspin'n

Packard Bell DPA-150 Amp Channel Mismatch

Do you have a way to check the signal level at the input to the driver transformer? That would be the blue wire from the driver transformer on both channels. If the signal is the same at that point, them it's in the output section after the transformer. If not the problem is in the input or...
  6. stillspin'n

SONY POWER AMP - TA-N511; How to Pre-Amp

From a picture on line, that 4 pin connector says amp control. So my guess would be that the pre-amp controls power on. Does the amp power up when turned on? If so I think you could use any pre-amp signal. If no power up, then you will need to figure out how to wire around the amp control function.
  7. stillspin'n

Speaker vented port calculation.

So I came up with two 4" diameter ports 3.6295 inches long, but I'm no math expert. In the past I have called the speaker manufacture and asked for their help with box and port design.
  8. stillspin'n

Magnavox Output Transistor ?

What model does it go in? That would be a big help. The NTE 121 is a Ge transistor, not uncommon for older units and may test different than standard PNP transistors.
  9. stillspin'n

Cd player vs dvd/cd player

Most of the way a CD/DVD player sounds is due to it's DAC. So maybe find a DAC you like, then if the player dies, you can switch in another one and retain the sound you have. Good DACs can be had for not a lot of money now.
  10. stillspin'n

RoCkford fosgate transistor replacement

The schematic for your amp is available on line, that transistor seems to be part of the switching power supply. It should have 8 of them, 2 banks of 4. The amp will probably start with the one missing if everything else is working okay. Not completely sure, but the part may be close to IFRZ44...
  11. stillspin'n

Zenith transistors,,,

Are we talking Zenith OEM part numbers or their replacement part line, like the 121-**** series. If you post the numbers, maybe someone can help. If they are the replacement part series, should be easy to convert to NTE.
  12. stillspin'n

JVC vs. Sansui

I think the thing is that you are using a receiver that in my opinion has a warmer sound and probably unless its been serviced, could use a recap. Also those Bose are not the brightest sounding speakers I have heard, not sure about the Pioneers, but when you put warm and warm sounding audio...
  13. stillspin'n

Sanyo transistor radio AC adaptor

2.5mm phone plug, a web search turned up a lot of them for under a dollar, get a 6v wall wart and change the plug.
  14. stillspin'n

Diode smoking on technics su8080

When you say third filter cap, do you mean C403, I would replace it as those low voltage caps seem to go first. I would also check TR404 and 405, and pull and check the diode as its been hot.
  15. stillspin'n

B+ voltage on right channel output (Nikko TRM-650)

I would start comparing voltages at the dual transistor and work my way back and check diode d702 as it supplies positive voltage to q702.
  16. stillspin'n

Sanyo 2033 -Damaged While on Dim Bulb Tester?

Couldn't find a schematic with a quick web search, but does the power amp section have bias or offset adjustments? The 25-50 dcmv would be about an average range for many amps.
  17. stillspin'n

DIY TUBE PREAMP HELP PLEASE

I bought a SE 6l6 tube amp kits, ended up using the transformers and case and that was about it, but I would say it depends on the kit. The one you listed looks okay, as you said I would probably change the caps. If you search 6sn7 preamp build on youtube, there is one close to the same circuit...
  18. stillspin'n

Transformer help

If you have a 12v AC transformer, you could feed it into what you think is the 120v primary and you should get 1/10 the rated voltage on the secondary windings. If you hook it up wrong, the 12v won't damage the transformer.
  19. stillspin'n

Akai AA1150 Troubleshooting

I have one of those receivers, and it only has one of those three fuses in place. There is a chart on the back for fuse size and location according to line voltage. Mine had the outputs blown on one channel, yes they are batwing, but easy to mount TO-218 case style in this receiver.
  20. stillspin'n

Something strange inside a MCS 3233

Yes it is normal for it to be that way.
  21. stillspin'n

Something strange inside a MCS 3233

Used to hold the slugs in place in those RF coils. They used cleaned bees wax in the past.
  22. stillspin'n

12 watt guitar amp buzzing

If your meter does not have a diode test function, just use the resistance setting. If you get a low resistance reading, reverse the leads and see if it still gives a low reading, if so the diode is probably shorted. Also do the test that dr*audio suggested.
  23. stillspin'n

12 watt guitar amp buzzing

So the first step would be to disconnect the transformer and check the voltage coming from the secondary, looks like it would be easy as it appears to just plug in. It will be AC, I would think 40 volts or less across the red wires. If that is good, I would look for a shorted diode in the power...
  24. stillspin'n

Strange RCA Jack/cable Mod on a Technics SU-8077 Amp

My guess would be preamp out/ main amp in, maybe to use a processor or EQ, something like that. That is just a guess, maybe touch the ends of the RCA's and see if you get hum, the set that produces noise would be main amp in.
  25. stillspin'n

XL-600 Oscillation?

Really needs to be checked with a scope to see if there are any high freq. oscillation above the audio range. If you don't have one, maybe someone local may be able to check it out for you.
Back
Top Bottom