Search results

1. goober58

I don't get Led Zep II!

IMO few hard rock records stand up when compared to Led Zeppelin I. The Stooges Raw Power and the Who Who's Next come to mind. That said I think Led Zeppelin II is a great record.
  2. goober58

Solid State and Tube Listener Challenge

Not sure extrapolating results garnered from these manufacturers components is of much importance when reaching a conclusions about the sonic character of various amplification designs. There's just no reason to assume any generalized result would align itself with a different set of...
  3. goober58

Won't Streaming Music "Obsolete" Ripping Our Collections?

I rip my CDs and digitize my vinyl for streaming. I use full CD quality when steaming/digitizing and more often prefer my digital vinyl to CD sources. I'm ok with either format and have little to no interest in downloading anything other than music not available on vinyl or CD and then it...
  4. goober58

Jazz Fusion Playlist

Thanks Cactus Bob Thanks for the recommendations - think I'll head over to the Double Nickels co-op and Tracks in Wax tomorrow to see what I can find. Where do you find Jazz at in this town? Yep Corgi's are a blast - great watchdogs too. Gotta keep them busy though.
  5. goober58

Jazz Fusion Playlist

The Crusaders and Jean Luc Ponty. I've tried most of the stuff on your list. What do you recommend from Miles and the Mahavishnu Orchestra for a hard rock fan?
  6. goober58

Big Band--Swing

I'm barely a Jazz newbie though I've dabbled in it for 20 years. I have a hard time with Jazz genres so I'm not so sure how helpful my response will be. When I tried "Swing", like Bop, Hard Bop and other improvised or progressive stuff I was less satisfied. The kind of Jazz I like, is IMO...
  7. goober58

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Bad Finger - Magic Christian Music
  8. goober58

Another Silly Question....Is Radio As Clear As CD's?

I agree - I used to listen to Little Stevens Underground Garage. Our NPR station, which has good fidelity plays jazz in the evenings and has a blues show on Sunday night. With a recorder its a great way to source a collection with little money.
  9. goober58

I think the typical potential baseband bandwidth of a stereo FM signal is around 15kHz - a little bit better than the average LP but less than a CD. Yea sure vinyl can be best but honestly how often is it and when it is how often can a vinyl playback system actually retrieve it? It's almost...
  10. goober58

The Animals

Animalization and On Tour have been in my collection for more than 40 years. Since I've added Animalism and Greatest Hits of the Animals (the later hits) and recently I found a decent bootleg. For sure this band plus Paul Revere and the Raiders were two rock bands I really liked when I was 10...
  11. goober58

Whats the last FULL ALBUM you listened to?

Last whole vinyl lp I listened to was Aerosmith Live Bootleg and before that was Tame Impala - Innerspeaker. Last whole CD was Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Acme before that was T-Rex's self titled deluxe edition and Lynyrd Skynyrds Street Survivors bonus disk. BTW I listened to the whole...
  12. goober58

Not really a silly question. FM radio can sound pretty good but rarely does. Lots of factors involved here but most pop/rock stations add eq and loudness and people in charge seem to think these things give them an edge. Just like when recordings are manufactured - ie. the volume wars. But...
  13. goober58

Favorite live performances about Alcohol :)

Me too. I think the video is great - memories of being 19...... I'll have to figure out how to embed a video here.
  14. goober58

Is Classic Rock Boring?

I have lots of obscure folk, blues, alt-country, singer-songwriter and alternative music and it becomes boring, old and stale too if that's all I play. For the most part radio stations are boring. When it's time for a Journey, Led Zeppelin or Fleetwood Mac LP that's when it's time to pull out...
  15. goober58

MFSL in Good condition or Same in Mint Regular Album

The original in vg++ condition or better is usually better than a new reissue. IME new MFSL releases are pretty good choices but the older ones aren't so good ( I don't like Nautilus either). But it's not always true, for example the Doors LA Woman from the box set is much better than any...
  16. goober58

High Priced Vinyl. Is This Normal?

Sure I'm all for original pressings and from first hand experience know that sound quality varies greatly among pressings of the same issue. It's a pain to find "best" sounding versions, if Tom takes the time to do it, and his customers agree then more power to him/them.
  17. goober58

RIP Alvin Lee

Better late than never..... Cricklewood Green and Shhhh are a couple of my favorite early hard rock records. Alvin Lee's 1981 Rx5 is IMO a Southern Rock classic.
  18. goober58

An observation about VPI record cleaning fluid

Thanks for you input Mark you make a great point and I apologize if my comment was misleading. I've had my VPI 17 for more than 5 five years and never have "drained" the fluid catch (until last night). I can't tell if its ok to leave the clip open when the unit is not in use - I "usually"...
  19. goober58

Tell us who you're really into right now.

Right now I'm listening to Marshall Tucker Band Where We All Belong and am way into it. Got Laura Nyros First Songs on my brain - Stoney End in particular (thinking about Stone Soul Picnic too). Newer music Arcade Fire, Edward Sharpe, Patty Griffin, Lucinda Williams, Against Me!, Black Rebel...
  20. goober58

I can't control the fluid to the degree I like with the fluid dispenser system so I don't use it. I need to empty the fluid discharge tank - I've kept the drain open into a can in case it overfills. I use only VPI fluid, a single brush and vacuum tube. I get noticibly better results...
  21. goober58

are you a record collector or turntable enthusiast or both?

Great topic Jeremy. I'm a music lover and a record collector but I only buy music I want to listen to. Yea sure I love different versions, colored vinyl and alternative covers of my favorite LPs. I'm not so much into finding the best sounding version, at least not as much as I used to be...
  22. goober58

How Often Do You Spen $10 Or More On A Used Record?

I've been doing this too long to run into stuff I want for cheap much anymore. I'm paying between $5 and $15 for most titles I'm willing to take used - sometimes much more. I'm still buying some new vinyl but usually will opt for CDs of new music to help keep the costs down. I buy very few...
  23. goober58

I've been doing lots of recording of vinyl to CD/digital and have been cleaning my vinyl on a VPI 17. I've been buying the bottles of VPI fluid for $12 bucks a pop, thinking that mixing it by the gallon just to big a PITA. Well after using 6 8 ounce bottles of the stuff in a month I decided to...
  24. goober58

We are the dying breed ...

Not in my world. Never in my 35 years or so as being an audiophile have I been able to talk to so many others with my an interest as I can today. Not only that I think the quality, diversity and selection of audio equipment and applications is much better than it's ever been.
  25. goober58

Would you swap out your whole system if...

Yea I would but I think the appearance of a system plays a part in how it sounds - at least to me.
Back
Top Bottom