Search results

1. TEKWRX

What are these vintage Sony speakers?

Found these at Goodwill, but the stickers on the back are missing so I don't know what they are. I'm a Sony nut, so I'm always interested in Sony gear and I don't have any speakers yet. Any idea if they are any good? They are asking $30 for the pair so I wasn't sure if it was worth the risk so I...
  2. TEKWRX

Fixing plastic button (CDP)

Not sure where to post this one, hope it's OK here. I have a Sony CA7ES CD changer and the play button has been pushed into the frame and not operational. I took the unit apart and see the problem, the plastic "caps" have broken off (not sure what this connection is called). Take a look at the...
  3. TEKWRX

When to refoam?

I picked up a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-120 a couple of months ago and I've been very happy. They sound much better for my main genre of music that I listen to mostly (metal!) than the modern Klipsch R-28F speakers I was using. Anyway, they are in decent shape but as with most CV the foam is...
  4. TEKWRX

My first tape deck in 30 years! Sony TC-WR11ES

I haven't messed with tapes since the early 90's as a teenager, but a good deal came my way today (I think). I've recently been putting together a vintage Sony ES stack so when I saw this for a good price I grabbed it even though I haven't recorded or played a tape in forever. The Sony TC-WR11ES...
  5. TEKWRX

Recommend me a book for beginners

I've always liked electronics, but have never had any formal training. I can use a soldering iron and enjoy fixing things. I'm in the middle of repairing a Sony TA-N77ES power amp, and I have help from another experienced AK user, but I'd like to understand more about why it failed, and what...
  6. TEKWRX

Equivalent for NEC 2SA1383 needed

I'm repairing a Sony TA-N77ES power amp and we have determined the faulty components. I'm having trouble finding a 2sa1383 transistor. I see a few on eBay, but I'm not sure they're compatible and reading the sellers feedback it looks like there is a problem with fakes and DOA parts. I'm ordering...
  7. TEKWRX

Raspberry Pi users. HiFiBerry Digi+ or generic SPDIF?

I'm about to order a Raspberry Pi kit to setup a Kodi install and use it for music only. I have a HTPC now that I use for music and movies/TV but I want to separate and figured a Raspberry Pi is nice because it uses very little power and I can keep my HTPC off most of the time. Now, I need coax...
  8. TEKWRX

Sony TA-E77ESD preamp motorized ALPS potentiometer issue

I started troubleshooting this pre-amp in my thread about the N77ES power amp, but it may be better to keep the diagnoses separate. I have two E77ESD pre-amps. The old one has a channel imbalance caused by a defective ALPS pot, but the motor works and I can adjust the volume with the remote...
  9. TEKWRX

Sony TA-N77ES repair advice?

Hey everybody, today I was lucky enough to buy my dream amp, the Sony TA-N77ES :D It is in amazing cosmetic condition and was a fantastic price. However, the guy who sold it to me told me that 1 channel doesn't work. He says when he plugged it in a few months ago he saw smoke come out of it and...
  10. TEKWRX

Disassemble ALPS pot? (how do I remove this clip?)

Hey everybody, I'm trying to repair the ALPS pot on my Sony TA-E77ESD preamp. I've troubleshooted and figured out there is an issue with the pot (left channel is much lower output than right channel, REC out is not affected. I read a post here with a guy who had the same issue and it was a...
  11. TEKWRX

Always look closely at eBay pictures (Sony ES score!)

I'm building a vintage Sony ES stack so I've been looking at eBay & Craigslist every day recently. I'm short on funds after having to close my business last year, so I'm keeping an eye out for deals. The other day I see a new listing for a TA-N330ES amp (just a renamed N55ES), and the Buy It Now...
  12. TEKWRX

Listen to these clips and help me decide which phono stage

I just acquired a different phono stage, and I think it's better, but I'd like to get some opinions of different ears since I still pretty new to all this. Please listen to these two clips and let me know which you think sounds better, both clips were recorded on with the same table/cart and...
  13. TEKWRX

Just picked up a Sony TA-E77ESD preamp, and left channel not working?

Hey everybody, I've wanted to get into the vintage 2 channel game for a long time to see what I've been missing (I've always used modern AV receivers) and I found a Sony TA-E77ESD for a decent price at a pawn shop yesterday. I'm a huge Sony fan and love ES gear, so I was excited. Unfortunately...
  14. TEKWRX

Which of these phono stages is better for me?

I've been listening to records on and off for the last 25 years, but in the last couple of years I've gotten more serious about collecting records and sound quality. I don't have the funds for a high dollar system, but I'm pretty happy with what I have. My question is which phono stage should I...
  15. TEKWRX

Technics SL-1600 auto stop/return issue

Hey all, I just bought a Technics SL-1600 off craigslist last weekend. When I first ran it, the auto start didn't work and the 45rpm speed was all over the place, but when the record was finished the auto stop was working, the arm would return. I took it apart, cleaned the speed pots with...
Back
Top Bottom