Search results

1. FauxHall

DIY Project Proposal - Pseudo LaSallas from Forte parts?

I've got a pair of Forte IIIs that I trying to get the IV upgrade kits. If successful that will leave me with the original tweeters, mid-ranges, and cross-overs, pieces of no value to me as I live in an apartment with no shop and no room nor space for more speakers, Seems like a valuable bunch...
  2. FauxHall

New Luxman tube amp installed on YT

Just bought a Luxman A3500 tube amp and my wife wanted to make a YT of the unboxing and installing. Hope you enjoy it. BTW, the system sounds GREAT! It has a contemporary Luxman CL-38uC tube preamp through Klipsch Forte IIIs. The source here is the Sony HAP-Z1ES high res player.
  3. FauxHall

Why I'm not upgrading to the Cornwall IVs

It's bonus time here so temptation rears its beautiful head. Looking over my two systems, the most obvious upgrade path is to exchange my Forte IIIs for a pair of Cornwall IVs. Deeper base and a generally higher reputation from the reviewer makes this interesting. But, do I have space in my...
  4. FauxHall

805 vs 845?

Got a modern quality tube preamp and would drive Forte IIIs. Considering a tube power amp. Besides raw power, how would you guys choose?
  5. FauxHall

Nagaoka MP-500 or Grado Master 3 or Ortofon 2M Black LVB?

Got a little disposable income in my account so thinking of another cartridge, this time a TOTL MM. I'm running a couple of fine MC carts already, with a Nagaoka MP-200 as a backup. Tables are a Technics SL-1500C and a Thorens TP-1601. I think I'm in the right place for solicting opinions, so...
  6. FauxHall

A tube-based Boombox from Korea?

This looks like it would push someone's buttons. We'll see if it comes to market. https://www.tomshardware.com/speakers/lg-shows-off-audiophile-vacuum-tube-dukebox-in-ces-teaser-combining-1950s-tech-with-a-modern-transparent-oled I'd pass but that's just me.
  7. FauxHall

Is there a measurement for "Graininess?"

One sometimes a criticism of certain power amplifiers, usually solid state, that they sound "grainy." I think I've heard that while listening on occasion and it was only with transistors. ADCOM amps are sometimes called grainy, for example. Anyone know of an objective measurement for...
  8. FauxHall

Today's Big Vinyl Haul

Just got two shipments of vinyl in from England, one new and one used. I'm a big fan of the Philips Chamber-Music Series from the late 60s.
  9. FauxHall

Optimum Ear Height? - stand build design input for Forte III

Thinking about making short stands for my Forte IIIs. Some manufacturers (like Harbeth) are adamant that the coil of the midrange be at ear height for best sound. My motivation is also in part to have a level top for placing racks and stands for records and discs. What say you, oh Wise Ones?
  10. FauxHall

Record Jackets in Braille?

First time I've seen this. Was it from the factory or was it added by a prior owner? In either case, a thoughtful idea.
  11. FauxHall

Carts for Mass-Loaded TTs vs Carts for Suspended TTs?

There seems to be a general consensus that mass-loaded carts tables tend to a more detailed and analytic sound while suspended designs tend to be smoother and perhaps a touch softer. Direct drive tables are all mass-loaded to my understanding and present a sub-species of a slightly different...
  12. FauxHall

New TT Choices - Thorens vs. ClearAudio vs. EAT vs Pro-Ject - advice?

Had a decent bonus this year so I sold the red Pro-Ject Carbon after 8 years and am now shopping for a replacement. I like chamber music, vocals, and jazz mostly. Here's what I'm looking at. I welcome your insights and experience. I like the EAT No. 5 MC cart but could go for a Ortofon...
  13. FauxHall

Screwed over by Craft Recordings shipping charges

Love the Coltrane '58 set of vinyl I bought in Dubai so I went to their website and ordered over $200 of new Craft Recordings vinyl. For that I paid $55 for "international shipping and tracking." Sounded like the charges that Acoustic Sounds would charge for DHL or FedEx to my apartment in Abu...
  14. FauxHall

Sony's 77th Anniversery

It's been that long? They have really delivered for us. Happy Birthday Sony! And thanks for the fine products that have enriched my life and the lives of my loved ones. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1655248615453884417.html
  15. FauxHall

Worst part of vinyl.....

Re-shelving the morning after.....
  16. FauxHall

Looking for an MC cart for a 50 Ohm phono stage

Just bought a new Yamaha A-S3200. Love it but I find its well-reviewed phono stage has only a 50 Ohm input impedance for the MC. I realize input impedance might not be a hard limitation on cart selection but it is a starting place. Luckily I have a Dynavector XX2 Mk2 cart on my better table...
  17. FauxHall

Anyone using a leather mat?

Sounds like it might work but I'd appreciate reports from the real world.
  18. FauxHall

Balancing a System using this Simple Engineering Concept

Many of our debates/exchanges of ideas and opinions on audio can really be clarified if we go back to an engineering concept I learned as a young engineer. That is, system performance is usually "the square root of the sum of the squares." We used it for earthquake force inputs to nuclear...
  19. FauxHall

How the heck do I use this? Ortofon Test Record

I have no idea how this is supposed to help me set up my TTs. Any guidance from the wise sages on AK? I should have figured this out before I spent my money. (That's what my wife would say if she knew.)
  20. FauxHall

Opinions please of late model McIntosh Preamps

The local dealer in in Dubai carries McIntosh the C49 and the C22 mk V. Of course, there's a $1k USD markup over the US list price to cover the 240V and the local tariff. One scheme I'm considering is to use a preamp to drive my existing ADCOM GFA-555 II and Harbeth speakers. I'm listening...
  21. FauxHall

Any Accuphase models to avoid?

In particular are there any Accuphase pre-amps or integrated amps that one should avoid due to poor sound quality or poor reliability?
  22. FauxHall

Class D amps? Specifically Primare

Anyone running Class D power amplifiers? My prejudice says that will sound cold and tangy to my ears. I'm looking at the Primare I35 for Forte IIIs. My Harbeths might smooth out the Class D angularity better.
  23. FauxHall

AccuPhase Phono Boards - Worth the money?

Still dreaming of an AccuPhase integrated or pre-amp. Unless I get an amp where the phono board is included, I'd consider adding one vs. continuing with the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS I already own. Want for MM and MC. Looks like some of pre-amps require an exceptionally expensive board. What...
  24. FauxHall

Shopping from European Sites?

I need 240V gear so I usually have to buy on-line from UK or Europe. HiFiShark.com keeps good tabs on items offered. Has anyone had experiences good or bad about sites like eBay Germany, Subito (Italy), Bazo Czechia, or Audio-Markt (Germany) ?
  25. FauxHall

Any Opinions on Mark Levinson No. 383 Integrated?

I'm thinking of another integrated with a pair of balanced line inputs. Love to get a new Luxman or the big Yamaha but I'm seeing clean refurbished ML 383s for less than half the price, albeit 20 years old. Mark Levinson gear has a high reputation usually justifying the premium price when new...
Back
Top Bottom