Search results

1. J

Conn 12AU7 RCA Black Plates

I just ordered 4 of these for a preamp. They are RCA Black Plates branded Conn. I figure these are a great all around tube? Anyone have any input on how these sound? Never mind the Conn....but RCA 12AU7 black plates in general? Thank you! Purchased from a reliable and trustworthy supplier
  2. J

Sylvania EL84

Hi guys. We cleaned out our linen closet the other day and I found a quad of Sylvania EL84 grey plate tubes. They are NOS that I liberated from Kent state when I worked in the AV repair shop as a student worker in the very late nineties during graduate school. Well, anyway, my boss told me I...
  3. J

Tube Preamps and Polarity

I was wondering why some tube preamps reverse polarity and some don't. Is it just a design choice? And if so, why do some designers do this and others do not? Are there benefits that would result in one or the other?
  4. J

Music Server--What exactly does this do?

Here is link to one. What exactly does it do? Is it a hardrive to connect to a dac? http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83 I am new to this type of thing but my wife thinks we need one
  5. J

Question about TV digital out

I just noticed my television has no analog outs that I can run to my preamp. It does have a digital audio out (optical). Can I run this to my DAC? My system is strictly 2 channel, but I want to be able to run the audio tbrough my system for music DVDs and some movies. Would this digital out be 2...
  6. J

Wife Suddenly Loves My Tube Gear

So my wife is more of a streamer than me. Im more LP and CD oriented. Anyway, I always buy her electronic gadgets like her ipod and ipad. I bought her a mini jack to rca cable many moons ago but she never really used it. So today i finally found it and unplugged my turntable and connected her...
  7. J

Quicksilver Amps

Hi All I would like a rundown on the sound of Quicksilver amps. Specifically the Mid-mono or the mini mites. These use EL34 or 6L6 tubes and also KT88, though I am not a fan of the kinkless triodes. I have seen some user reviews but they generally say things like they sound great etc with no...
  8. J

6SL7 Tubes for Linestage Preamp

Hi I was wondering if anyone has experience with the 6LS7 tube? I recently purchased a tube linestage that uses these tubes and am not familiar with them. It shipped with NOS Reflector 6H9C tubes, which are a 6SL7 equivalent. I see that there is a "Northern Electric" 6SL7, and there is also...
  9. J

Will a Power Cord help my Dualit?

I dropped a lot of cash on a British Dualit 4 slot in yellow a few years ago. Would replacing the power cable make it perform better? It works okay, but it is fully manual. I might need a controller to make to make it semi-auto. Anyway, I am hoping at least a power cable could get me to the...
  10. J

Tape out vs Effects loop

What is the difference between a tape out signal and an effects loop signal? Can i run a tape out from a preamp into something like an EQ and then back in to another input? Or can i run a tape out to my headphone amp input? I was told the tape out is an unattenuated signal that wont work with my...
  11. J

Goldenear Triton Seven

Hi all. I am thinking about pair of these. Wondering if the Quicksilver 25 watt tube mono blocks would be enough for them or if I would need to get the 50 watt mid-monos.
  12. J

Cables for Tube Gear Help Me Pick From Three

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but this seems to be where most of the cable talk happens. I am upgrading my system to all tube separates. I have settled on three choices for cables, but would be open to suggestions for other choices in about the same price range that work well with...
  13. J

Jesus and Mary Chain VINYL Reissues

Are any of these worth getting? I picked up the Plain Recordings red vinyl of barbed Wire kisses and it sounds pretty good. Claims to be from original analogue masters. I have Psychocandy on Rhino The Demon Records Honey's Dead is another story. Why would they do a half speed remaster and...
  14. J

Wharfedale W60d New Owner Questions

So I found a pair of near mint W60D speakers. I don't actually have them yet as I am having them shipped. Yes...I know....they are heavy!!!! $150.00 heavy! Anyway, of the amps I can use which of the following would be best? Musical Paradise MP-301 6.5 watt/channel SEP Coincident Dynamo 34...
  15. J

Omega Speakers

Anyone familiar with these speakers? Particularly the Compact Alnico Monitors or the SUPER 7XRSMK2 floor standers? I'm kind of drawn to the alnicos, but would need to get stands and a sub. Their sub, the omegaDeep8, is a musical sub though, so wouldn't be against the idea. Can't really find much...
  16. J

New Transmisson Line Speakers

Since I have had several pairs of DCM Timeframes I have become a fan of transmission line speakers. Are there any current manufacturers of this type of speaker that are affordable? Yeah, I know...one man's affordable is another man's divorce decree. I know Vandersteen, but any others? Looking...
  17. J

Best Headshell for Sansui SR-636/838

I was wondering what would be the best headshell for the SR-636/838? I The stock only has a top pin, meaning two alignment pin headshells won't work. So Jelco HS-50 or Ortofon SH-4 look like the best choices. Is one better than the other? Any other worthy choices?
  18. J

Phono Box S vs Lounge LCR

So I can upgrade to the LCR or buy a bunch of MOFI records. Is the LCR a noticeable upgrade from the Phono box s? Listening now on headphones to the new intervention records big audio dynamite and it sounds great! Not so much louder than bombs vinyl reissue. Sounds like crap in comparison.
  19. J

Phono Box S vs Lounge LCR

So I can upgrade to the LCRor buy a bunch of MOFI records. Is the LCR a noticeable upgrade from the Phono box s? Listening now on headphones to the new intervention records big audio dynamite and it sounds great!
  20. J

Adjusting VTA on SR-636/838

I have an SR636 and was wondering about adjusting the VTA. The manual says it is adjustable by + or - 3.5mm. Are they saying the base raises or lowers 3.5 mm or that the front of the tonearm can be raised or lowered 3.5mm? I know I need a 2mm hex key to loosen the adjusting screws. I am not sure...
  21. J

New Musical Paradise DAC

I have the original MP-D1 DAC and am quite happy with it. It looks like they have upped the ante with this one: http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80 I am really not familiar with all of the technical aspects (xmos USB etc) because I only use mine...
  22. J

AKG Q701

I got a pair of these to try with my MP-301 MKIII Deluxe and they sound really good right out of the box. I did not notice a lack of bass, harsh treble or dents in my head. LOL. They are very light and extremely comfortable. The music I listened to: Chris Isaak Baja Sessions; Chris Isaak...
  23. J

Sansui SR636/SR-838 Cart Recommendations

I have a beautiful Sr-636 currently running a Nagaoka MP-150. I have not been successful in finding the mass for this arm other than it may be mid mass or high mid mass. Possibly 14 grams? Others said 12? I was wondering what others may be using. I was thinking of maybeca Nagaoka MP-300. Would...
  24. J

Got some HD-650s

I find them too bassy with some recordings. Chris Isaak for example. Would HD-600s be better? Some things, like cheap trick reissues, sound great. But some records and CDs the bass is annoyingly too much. On my speakers they sound fine. Any recommendations for a more balanced sound? Or is it...
  25. J

Can a Tube Amp (or amp) Introuduce Sibilance?

I have a Musical Paradise MP-301MKIII amp and I have noticed sibilance. I do not notice the same sibilance with my solid state amp. So I was wondering if it is the amp or the tubes? I have several sets of different preamp tubes and noticed it with all of them. Maybe this amp accentuates known...
Back
Top Bottom