Search results

1. Tangent

Need help with close-up work eyewear

Dollar store glasses purchaser here. They work for me. I am not sure if expensive readers would be any better. The build quality should be better but I don't think there's much difference between a $25.00 +2.50 pair and $5.00 +2.56 pair. It's not like I need them to drive or anything critical...
  2. Tangent

Searching for vintage Luxman advice

I don't think the R-115 or R-117 are that common or available anymore - and that means they are probably not cheap either - but a remote would certainly be nice! However I am trying to stay away from going in the monster receiver direction. So more in the WAF direction would work for me. And...
  3. Tangent

Also wondering if there are any speaker brands that match well with Luxman. Or do they all sound great with Luxman?
  4. Tangent

Luxman seems to be very well thought of around the net as well as here so I decided to look for either a integrated amp or a receiver for a secondary system. Receiver preferred as long as the sound quality is the same as an integrated amp. Whatever I get should be dependable (built like a...
  5. Tangent

Which way to jump? Sansui, Toshiba or Luxman?

They re B&W DM14 speakers from the early 1980s so I thought an amp or receiver around the same age would look great! I chose the above three brands because I have heard Sansui and Toshiba and I was curious about Luxman. I'm not up to date with the modern amplifier releases and I don't want too...
  6. Tangent

Which way to jump? Sansui, Toshiba or Luxman?

I need some power for a secondary system that has inefficient speakers - minimum 60W or preferably 80W a side. Preferably a receiver but could be integrated amp or even separates. Vintage is preferred (1975 - 1985) but not a requirement. I don't want to go over, lets say $600.00. Maybe $800.00...
  7. Tangent

B&W Owners Thread

Thanks, the Denon AVR-886 is 80W a channel so I'll try that first. Actually it's my most powerful amp, I have nothing more powerful. I might investigate British amplifiers just for the coolness factor. :D
  8. Tangent

B&W Owners Thread

I very recently came across a pair of B&W DM14 speakers, there was even the STAV 14 stands! In pretty good shape although one of the stands has a chunk out of it. Now it's time to match them in a system and hear what B&W is all about. Has anyone come across a particular amp or brand that works...
  9. Tangent

Questions on a MX-110 restore

I was just going through some stuff and I found my replacement glass. That I don't need anymore. :) Oh well, a good spare, I guess!
  10. Tangent

Questions on a MX-110 restore

That's irreplaceable, isn't it?
  11. Tangent

Possible electrical problem with MX110 / MC30's (?)

I had my interconnects re-terminated on one end (MC30 end) because of a weak connection. But as I said, it worked fine when being tested. But your suggestion is certainly worth a try! Thanks.
  12. Tangent

Possible electrical problem with MX110 / MC30's (?)

I have an unusual problem that I hope someone could help me with or perhaps point me in the right direction. First some background. Dedicated 20 amp power line installed from the breaker box to the wall with Furutech wall outlets by a master electrician (although I didn't need the skills of...
  13. Tangent

R.I.P. Kegger

Oh, no. This is shocking. Awful. Deeply upsetting. Rest in peace. There are never any words for something like this. I hope his parents pull through. Thoughts and prayers....
  14. Tangent

Parasound Halo P5 Pre-Amplifier $38 Improvement.(Pics Heavy)

Cool idea. I've seen modified turntables with insulation something like this but it was not Dynamat. Anyone remember the "magic brick" thing? I just read about it and saw some pictures but I think it also was the same idea, to reduce vibrations.
  15. Tangent

Vintage owners, if you won the lotto would you buy uber high end gear?

Exactly! Good decision! I can see it now, CD clutched in my hand, wandering from room to room trying to decide which stereo it would sound best on. Then giving up and playing the music on every stereo. The only problem is it will take 5 hours to play each CD if I used every system. :thumbsup:
  16. Tangent

Grover Huffman

I have Grover speaker cables. I am very pleased with them! I compared them to a friends older and much more expensive Van Den Hul cables once and the difference was very slight. It was so close that I didn't hear much of a difference. They're great! I also have Grover interconnects. Three...
  17. Tangent

EQ suggestions

Since your stereo is in a converted sun room, I must ask if there any WAF restrictions?
  18. Tangent

Hybrid (Silver/Copper) cables: do they make sense?

This is what I think because it's what happens in my system. Copper and silver will make music sound different. Copper should make the sound richer and fuller but not convey a lot of detail. Silver should make the sound have "air" and have lots of detail but won't be as full in the mid and...
  19. Tangent

Noisetrapper Integrity 8 Outlet Power Strip

RTP-6N If you're running a dedicated line, think about 20 amps in case the room turns high end or power hungry or 5.1. This way you would not have to upgrade. There are also power lines that are designed for music rooms. Sorry, I don't know any more than that but I think they are more...
  20. Tangent

Noisetrapper Integrity 8 Outlet Power Strip

No experience with the Integrity 8, sorry. I have found that Furutech has neutral power distributors and they don't restrict the sound in any way. They are not power conditioners yet my Furutech distributor sounds better than my AudioPrism conditioner. Would you consider running a dedicated...
  21. Tangent

Looking for a replacement mat for my Rega RP6

Thanks! I'll try my Boston mat first to see what it's like on the Rega. :yes:
  22. Tangent

Thanks. I did a bit of research and saw it was a some type of fabric. Have you or has anyone tried a Boston Audio Mat 1 made from carbon on a Rega? Wonder if it would work well with a glass (thanks Bob) platter.
  23. Tangent

Has anyone tried a different mat with their Rega? The stock mat is felt and already dusty. :scratch2: I've had a good experience with the Boston Audio carbon mat with a previous table but the new Rega has an acrylic platter so I kinda think that it does not match. Any other tweaks from...
  24. Tangent

Best cartridge for a SME model 3009 tone arm?

Thanks everyone for your help. After all that, I got an offer I couldn't refuse and I bought a Rega.
  25. Tangent

Best cartridge for a SME model 3009 tone arm?

I have a hankering for a MM cartridge as I already have a MC on another TT. But the MC sounds so much better than the cheap Shure I have on it now (Me95ED) so I started this thread. That's why I am willing to spend some $ as I would not be happy with the TT if it sounded significantly worse that...
Back
Top Bottom