Search results

1. cgnman59

DIY Tube Amp Kits

I will second Pete Millett. I had never put together any kind of electronic kit, but thanks to a friend who tutored me on soldering and identifying various electrical components, I built Pete’s DCPP amp. It works great and is now my primary amp. I also built the OddWatt Alpha, a fairly simple 1...
  2. cgnman59

Show your headphone amplifier

I recently finished the Pete Milletts NuHybrid headphone amp. I made no modifications at all, just made it the way Pete specified. I should note my soldering skills are average at best and I struggle to understand and read a schematic. So I approach any project like this with a certain amount of...
  3. cgnman59

Massdrop - new Topping D10 DAC for $75

I took advantage of the latest Massdrop and recieved my D10 yesterday. So far I am very impressed with this little guy. I was debating on whether to buy a new CD player but then decided to go with a DAC and my computer. I personally am not in the "warm sound" category. The DCPP amp that I built...
  4. cgnman59

Switch to tube amplification

Right now I have my DCPP amp designed by Pete Millett and an Oddwatt Alpha, both DIY tube amps alternating between my Klipsch KG3.5 and Boston Acoustic A100 speakers. Both amps sound great on both sets of speakers. I played around with vintage amps for a while but then moved to building my own...
  5. cgnman59

Pioneer HPM 700 Restoration Help (with non-OEM)

Just saw this thread. I have woofers from hpm-60's and also the mids from the hpm 700. I will sell for a competitive price. Not sure if you are still looking but PM if you are interested.
  6. cgnman59

Just Built Pete Millett's "Engineers Amp"

Dave451, thanks I am impressed with your chassis. I am hoping to build another cabinet from walnut and replace the current one that I made from left over oak flooring. The top plate for mine came from Front Panel Express as specified by Pete Millett. This is my first real experience with a tube...
  7. cgnman59

Comment by 'cgnman59' in media 'Dcpp Amp'

They are 6JN6 sweep tubes originally used in televisions. The amp was designed by Pete Millett. If you google him you'll find he is a well respected engineer and designer of headphone amps like the Apex Pinnacle.
  8. cgnman59

Just Built Pete Millett's "Engineers Amp"

Dcpp Amp by cgnman59 posted Feb 16, 2018 at 8:46 AMI finished my build of the DCPP May 2017. Like yours mine is the stock build. I readjusted the bias a couple of weeks after the original adjustment. Then I checked it again last week nearly nine months after the second adjustment. One side had...
  9. Dcpp Amp

Dcpp Amp

10. 2017_DCPP Amp

2017_DCPP Amp

Pete Millett's DCPP amp
  11. cgnman59

Fixing a Marantz Power switch?

Thanks for the helpful information in this post. I just replaced the power switch and safety cap in my Marantz 1030. Nice to see the blue light again and hear the music. :)
  12. cgnman59

Pissed off neighbors stories?

when I lived on Guam I had the Pioneer 5000 you see in the pic behind my son hooked up to my hpm-700's and my roommate's Sansui speakers with 15 inch woofers. Not great speakers but they could go really loud. I had worked the night shift and figured nobody was around in the apartment during the...
  13. cgnman59

ATI Technologies P100 Phono Preamp help

Hi, A tech friend of mine is going to repair my ATI P100 preamp and he is looking for a schematic. Do any of you know where I can obtain this or perhaps have one? thanks for any help you can provide.
  14. cgnman59

Which cart would you re-stylus?...

I have a Sonus Blue I would love to find a stylus for. I don't mean NOS but a high quality replacement.
  15. cgnman59

What Took So Long?

begins again is probably more accurate. Back in the early 80's I had a Yamaha p-220 turntable(still have it) with a Grado cartridge hooked up to my Pioneer SX-d5000 running HPM700 speakers. I always enjoyed the sound. But this re-acquaintance has been fun and I can see many more Sunday...
  16. cgnman59

What Took So Long?

I have been using my turntables to digitize lp's for myself personally and also for a friend's audio format biz. Since I have been doing this I have not once hooked it up to one of my receivers. Today I decided to take my SL-Q303 w/Grado black and hook it up to my Sanyo Plus 75 running BA-A100...
  17. cgnman59

Was given a Marantz 3800 Pre

It looks very good. My friend is a broadcaster and engineer so he has always taken care of his equipment. The only thing needed was to clean the volume control. I hooked it up to my Sanyo plus 75 and connected my CD player just to find out how well it worked. Lets just say it works...very well...
  18. cgnman59

Help! Need to convert Lp's to digatal

I've used both a Tascam US-122 and a Yamaha USB mixer to run the audio from the turntable into the computer. My turntable is a Technics SL 1200mk2 and the pre is an old but solid ATI. I then use adobe audition for some light treatment to get rid of pops and clicks. I work for a media...
  19. cgnman59

Was given a Marantz 3800 Pre

Tonight I stopped at a friends house to borrow a phono preamp and when he met me at the door he also had a Marantz 3800 preamp. He said everytime he went to my office he noticed my little Marantz 1030 amp (pulling duty for my computer sound) and decided to clean out his closet and give me the...
  20. cgnman59

Today's classical playlist

Khachaturian: Gayne Ballet Suite Listening to a fine performance from the 1960 LP, Anatole Fistoulari conducting the London Symphony Orchestra.
  21. cgnman59

Anatole Fistoulari Khachaturian:Gayne

I recently purchased a Grado Red cartridge for my SL-1200MK2 TT. Last night I took some time to really set it up and double checked my measurements and then checked that out with a Baerwald protractor. Everything checks out. I play a few records and everything is sounding accurate and good...
  22. cgnman59

Recording records to digital ?

You might wish to try a usb phono pre-amp to record your vinyl onto the computer. That way you avoid the soundcard completely. I have transferred over 100 albums to digital. When I first started I went through the sound card on my computer. However my sound card is very noisy and that noise...
  23. cgnman59

Homebrew speaker score !!!

Nice score! As for mirror imaging, that is something that can always be done!
  24. cgnman59

Utah Heritage ID

I'm not sure of the specs on the woofers and that could be an issue since I'll be using the xover from an hpm700 which crosses at a rather high 1,700Hz. I also don't have a way to measure them.They don't seem to do a bad job right now but once again that could be just my ears and they could be...
  25. cgnman59

Utah Heritage ID

They may say Heritage HS5-A, but they look exactly like the inside of my Heritage HS1-C. Sounds like the same type of "cross-over" as mine as well. I'm making Frankenspeakers out of mine using parts from an HPM 700 and keeping the woofers, adding some extra bracing and putting a new baffle on...
Back
Top Bottom