Search results

1. saabracer23

Help with selecting low noise fans for amp cooling.

I opened up one of the Haflers and there is plenty of room for the thicker Phantek fan. Here you can see how wide the heatsink is and get an idea of the air moving through the fins. I figure they used a fan to ensure the amp stayed cool enough when driving loads hard. Yet at an idle bias...
  2. saabracer23

Help with selecting low noise fans for amp cooling.

I’m hoping that someone here has had success, or knows someone who has, in replacing noisy fans with a lower noise option. I use pro amps in my home theaters and I was using some Crowns as well as a Mackie and during quiet dialog you could definitely hear the fans. The main culprit was a...
  3. saabracer23

Who loves electronic get togethers, ham fest?

I also grabbed a Fluke bench meter. It was cheap, like $15. I’ve been wanting to get a bench meter, but I don’t think this will scratch my itch. It’s kind of slow, so I’ll probably still be picking up a newer unit. It’s still very accurate, give me the same readings at my 87V and 289. There...
  4. saabracer23

A guy there had two curve tracers on his table, labeled at $10 each. While looking at them he told me I could have both for $15 so I grabbed them both. I’ve been looking for a Tektronix curve tracer, so hopefully these will get me close to what the Tek does. First is a Hickok Model 440. It...
  5. saabracer23

Twice a year we have a get together here near Salem and every year I save my pennies for test equipment and maybe the occasional cool looking tube radio. Thought I’d share what I grabbed and maybe get opinions or instruction on them. I grabbed this EICO 1030 power supple that has a small...
  6. saabracer23

Bone stock Marantz Eighteen restoration, what all should be changed out?

If I’m remembering correctly when I flipped the KSC3503 to mount them directly into the board there was a portion of the transistor case that wasn’t making contact with the heatsink when using the factory screw holes. I didn’t know how hot they ran so figured it was a safer bet to have the whole...
  7. saabracer23

2sc1913 & 2sa913 Transistor Substitute In a Kenwood Model Eleven GX.

I’ve swapped this pair out before in a few units with faster TO-126 devices. I believe I used KSC2690 and KSA1220 as they have higher rated dissipation, ect. I didn’t have an issue in any scenario, the transistors stayed plenty cool. It’s possible the Toshiba TTC004b and TTA004b could be used...
  8. saabracer23

Adding output transistors to a current design.

I am wanting to add output transistors in order to help alleviate stresses on the current output transistors. I am replacing some faulty MT-200 output devices and it was recommended that I could add a couple extra pair since I will be using smaller devices. I have replaced MT-200 with TO3p and...
  9. saabracer23

Honestly expected more from an amp costing nearly $20,000.

The tubes are new, it was an older 5R4 that had arced and from what I understand that tube is toast. I’ll measure the tube sockets when I get to the house and see how they’re soldered in exactly, but my buddy wants to replace the two rectifier and the four 9 pin sockets with the very best...
  10. saabracer23

I’ve been running the amp as is for hours and so far it has been just fine. No arcing and the 3w resistors I put in getting warm, but not ridiculous, 150-160ish if I’m remembering correctly. I’ll see if he wants to run the amp as is or replace the rectifiers sockets. I’ll recommend the changing...
  11. saabracer23

Looking for full range driver recommendation for speaker array.

What are you thinking is your mac budget per driver? If you do intend to use them as full ranges, meaning no other tweeters to augment the top end, then you have to find a balance between a large driver that gives more bottom and and a smaller driver that will give you closer center to center...
  12. saabracer23

Thank you all for your suggestions. This is the amp that he has, regardless of what anyone thinks of it, so the best I can do is make it the best I can for him. At the very least I’ll change out the two rectifier sockets. What are the sockets in post 66, those look to be good quality ceramic...
  13. saabracer23

Audio Analyzers - HP 8903B vs. QuantAsylum QA403

Indeed. Really nice equipment. I’ll have some someday. Dan
  14. saabracer23

Looking for handheld oscilloscope.

i’m looking to get a handheld, a silos scope as it would be easier to move around and to have the isolated ground would be nice as well. I already have a decent regular oscilloscope in plant to upgrade that in the near future. There are several options on Amazon by Fnirsi and Owon and such in...
  15. saabracer23

Audio Analyzers - HP 8903B vs. QuantAsylum QA403

I’m pretty sure my thread was what w3jn was referring to. I too, was thinking about going with an all in one unit, like one of the Panasonic units, but the Quantasylum was so much cheaper and equally as impressive as measurements go. I did have a few issues very early on with the QA403, but...
  16. saabracer23

I don’t want my friend coming to this thread and getting depressed thinking he has a pile o’ crap. People are jumpin the gun saying that it’s a poorly designed amp without having even peeked at the schematic and automatically assuming that all of the Elna, Vishay, etc parts are fake. Im sure...
  17. saabracer23

That’s excellent info to know. I was actually thinking the same thing, if I replace them up them all to 390uf or so. Thank you, I’ll take a look around. I’ll post once I start something. Dan
  18. saabracer23

I would definitely enjoy that. Are there any plans you suggest I look at? Dan
  19. saabracer23

Got the amp all reassembled this morning and found that one of the 5R4s had been arcing to the copper plate and there was carbon on the tube socket. So o turned the plate around, sanded the carbon down and put a piece of tape on the copper plate where it meets that high voltage pin. Been...
  20. saabracer23

Kenwood KA-3500 batwing output replacements? What's the best option today?

That is awesome work! That looks so good and congratulations, you were worried for nothing. Did you happen to replace the 2w 24v Zeners in the power supply? I totally spaced that, I would have slipped a couple of 3w Zeners I have into the envelope with the output transistors. If you didn’t and...
  21. saabracer23

I’m not entirely sure. I’ll check the date codes on the caps. I will say that I just measured some brand spankin new 120uF 450v Nichicons I got from mouser and they were all right around 105. I measured with my Fluke 87V, Fluke 289, Peak Atlas ESR70 and a LCR meter using kelvin leads. All the...
  22. saabracer23

Very nice! Those look great and I bet sound it as well. Those 211s cook! Dan
  23. saabracer23

He actually did pretty good on it, he traded a few other pieces of audio equipment for it. Don’t know exactly, but he was pleased with the trade. Dan
  24. saabracer23

Truthfully other than the work it does use quality parts. Elna Cerafine, Nichicon, Rubycon, you won’t find a Shinzen market part in here, all brand name quality components. I can’t speak for the design, I can’t get a schematic. I don’t know about this being a $500, that seems kind of far...
  25. saabracer23

Actually I reduced the size of the resistor. It had a 6.3A slow blow and I put in a 4A per the manufacturer. As long as the resistor isn’t being used as a fuse there is no problem increasing the size. These were definitely not intended to be fuses. Dan
Back
Top Bottom