Search results

1. gonzothegreat

ADS L1090 midrange buzzing

I have some business work to finish before I can work on this so its on pause for at least a week. Stopped using my L1090s to prevent any existing problems from getting worse and FUBARing unobtainium bits. Will have to call RSE and let the expert tell me what can be done. Thanks for the advice...
  2. gonzothegreat

ADS L1090 midrange buzzing

Was finally getting back to music listening on my bedroom system last month and while listening to Pink Floyd Animals I heard a buzzing from my right speaker. Swapped my right for left and the problem moved as well. Pretty sure the midrange is the culprit. Checked out RSE and while it said mid...
  3. gonzothegreat

Phase tech Question (s)

Rick - could you share your cheap tweeter foam fix for the PC 8.5s? I have a pair of 8.5 in storage that were shedding foam which prompted me to rotate them out of my main system. I had a review of them from some magazine. They interviewed the designer and he wanted to do his take on the...
  4. gonzothegreat

2SC3944/2SA1535 driver substitutes?

Thanks for all the suggestions. A hamfest audio friend saw my post and is sending me a pair of 3944/1535 Panasonic devices from his repair tech's stash.
  5. gonzothegreat

2SC3944/2SA1535 driver substitutes?

My first decent amp was a Technics SU-V85 integrated purchased with a blown channel. I repaired it with transistors from Dalbani (maybe) and it sounded good to my ears. After a few years it developed an issue I cannot recall and after fiddling with it I moved on to a Kenwood M1. It went into...
  6. gonzothegreat

THE SoundStream Home Audio Thread

Was looking for a cheap ass fixer upper pre-amp and for 40USD on eBay a dead c1 fit the bill. Both transformers had multiple broken primary leads so I removed the psu board for surgery. On the 5v transformer both primary leads were sheared short and on the analog bipolar transformer one pin had...
  7. gonzothegreat

Yamaha C-70 Project

Thanks to sonavor for sharing his restoration tale. I got my beaten and abused C70 sometime in the early 1990s missing the cover, volume pot/knob and the relay switch. It was purchased at a local shop's "junk pile sale" for $20. Most likely the original owner brought it into the shop and when...
  8. gonzothegreat

ADC SS-315X owners - check for assembly errors on J57/J58.

Been a looong time since I've posted here but I discovered something interesting when prepping an ADC SS-315X for ebay. The auction is over and item has been shipped so hopefully no issues posting this. The equalizer is an utter PITA to take apart due to multiple PCBs/daughterboards and it...
  9. gonzothegreat

Attention B&K Components owners!

I recently found a dirt cheap dead AVP2000 at a hamfest last year. It boots and displays/switches sources but no audio on pre outs. Initially I suspected either an analog switching IC or possibly one of the socketed 74HC574s coming from the MPU that control the switching. The project fell off...
  10. gonzothegreat

Thrift store Sansui AU-G99X integrated amp find.

I haven't been actively searching for vintage audio lately but this absolutely had to come home with me. Friday I was hitting thrift stores to find a 13" CRT TV to RGB mod for work and I found this on the shelf at the neighborhood charity thrift. It was sitting next to a recent Yamaha HT...
  11. gonzothegreat

Platon Rarest Amp Known to Mankind ? " help "

I want to ask the designer what he was smoking when he decided to make those unrepairable amp modules. Was he so paranoid that another designer would steal the circuit or was he concerned that he ripped off another design and didn't want to get sued?
  12. gonzothegreat

SCS or Sound Code Systems, Anybody ever heard of them?

My little fixer upper sat around waiting for me to replicate the heatsink end piece and one day I noticed a broken 2350 on ebay for ~$125. A bit pricey considering the seller wouldn't take any additional pics and wanted to use USPS which IME leads to shipping damage. The shipper told me not to...
  13. gonzothegreat

ADS L980 tweets and mids, off they go!! To Mr. So

Thanks to Porkloin for getting me up to speed on my L1090s. One has a dented woofer and I suspect the tweeters could use fresh ferrofluid. I might try tackling the ferrofluid myself but that won't happen anytime soon.
  14. gonzothegreat

ADS L980 tweets and mids, off they go!! To Mr. So

Forgive me for asking but I rarely check in here these days thanks to crazy work hours. So who is this Richard and what magic does he do with ADS drivers? I have a pair of 1090s with the sticky domes and I'm curious as to how they can be improved. TIA.
  15. gonzothegreat

Epicure M201 find - rubber vs foam surrounds

Weird to see this old post pop up on the front page of speakers nearly a decade later. I think I still have mine somewhere in storage.
  16. gonzothegreat

Celebrity Stereo Systems

Looks like a AKG cans, McIntosh power/pre, Technics 1200 from the bubble cover and a Nak deck like the RX-505.
  17. gonzothegreat

Dynaco ST 416

iirc the 416 kit manual had some good tshooting tips.
  18. gonzothegreat

Adcom GFP565 preamp problem!

Adcom power transformers sometimes died for weird reasons. My GTP400 was tossed because a ceramic cap in the rectifier ckt shorted and took out the tranny. It made a loud hum when you turned it on and the hum didn't come from the speakers. If something is shorting the transformer turning it on...
  19. gonzothegreat

Amp identification

Its a TOA mono PA amp. ~90watts output and can do 70v. Nothing special. I've seen them for <$50 and nobody touched them.
  20. gonzothegreat

Highest-end gear you've found at a thrift

This thread of mine from long ago. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/big-dynaco-find-tube-and-ss.131096/#post-1425272
  21. gonzothegreat

Carver C-4000 vs. Audiolab 8000C

Just sold off my C4000 to pay bills. I REALLY wanted to like it being a child of the 80s but never quite warmed up to it. Too many knobs and shit that got in the way of the music. Thought about modding it but never had the time. Maybe I'll fix up that rusty Phase Linear preamp I have somewhere...
  22. gonzothegreat

New David Gilmour Album and Tour dates!

I was seated in the rear on the right - first level up from the floor seats. Definitely worth it! Very good sound and his voice issues from the Brazil show were gone. Won a copy of Roger Waters The Wall DVD from a radio station van across from the United Center while waiting for doors to open...
  23. gonzothegreat

Interesting warmup on Audiosource Amp 7T tripath amp.

Does the Tripath Audiosource Seven T have any adjustments I should tweak for maximum fidelity? I've done multiple bedroom system upgrades the last ten months but haven't had time/energy to critically listen to it. Moved the Carver C4000 preamp out and replaced it with a cheap digital pre from a...
  24. gonzothegreat

Re-foamed Infinity's sound horrible. What happened?

When I find a woofer that has a tricky VC due to a tight gap or weak spider I glue the surround to the cone first and when that's dry I apply glue to the surround edge, hook up a signal generator with enough DC offset to push the cone up and invert the woofer. Then I slowly reverse the DC offset...
  25. gonzothegreat

Audio Concept speakers?

I have a pair of G2 but they aren't labeled. They are three way with a vifa dome tweeter with a felt pad encircling it, vifa cone midrange and 10" woofer in a ~45" tall sloped front cabinet. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?attachments/aci-g2-catalog-jpg.116564/ Here is a catalog from...
Back
Top Bottom