Search results

1. william13

How does an MC300 compare to MC500

I have a 300 that I am using for a secondary system and I like it. Now I have the opportunity to get a 500 but frankly know very few people who ever had them. Opinions please.
  2. william13

My tonearm does this......

I recented adopted a Technics 1950 TT. Like many other vintage TT it's damping oil was dry and I cleaned out the entire unit using many of the ideas on this site and VE site. The movement of the arm is weird (in my opinion). When turned on, the arm raises and instead of moving directly to...
  3. william13

McIntosh c29 preamp mode selector issues

My system seems to work great except when I put the mode sector on the below setting: L + R to L: Connects the left plus right program to the left loudspeaker only Then I hear nothing. Why?
  4. william13

Amplifier face plate: Blue filter paper/ meter question!

Tonight I am replacing a face plate on the MC300. I received the new faceplate from Mcintosh but did not realize that it is essentially pure glass and it does not have on the inside the extra plate of glass that sandwiches in the blue filter paper. The old face plate has these and they appear...
  5. william13

Using two MC300 mono

So my MC300 is working again. I spent some time on line looking for autoformers which I ended up not needing to replace but I stumbled upon someone selling another MC300 right in my neighbor hood. It made me wonder. How would 2 MC300 in Mono sound driving my SF Elipsas vs just splurging and...
  6. william13

MC 7270 vs MC300

Would anyone contrast and compare a MC 7270 vs MC300 for me?
  7. william13

MC300 Power Guard Light on Right channel

Looking for member with knowledge of this amp and circuits Have not fired up my MC300 in months. When I turned on today the right channel had very low volume output and the power guard light came on. I switched all cables and speakers and same deal. Suspect component of unit. Where would I...
  8. william13

Strain relief plugs and cable replacent

This is a general question about strain relief plugs: I intend to replace my rca interconnects from vintage TT with component cables that have been advocated in another forum. But "the recommended replacement types" seem to be very large caliber compared to my anemic looking RCA. What doe I...
  9. william13

stopping outside noise coming in

Would be interested in members "first hand experience" and I guess "hear say" on window products that reduce noise coming in. This is a New York City apartment with large window facing street with jack hammering (with permits) and sirens all night. I have done extensive reading on curtains and...
  10. william13

Sticky remote (paint sticky)

My HR073 remote (for the C2300 preamp) suddenly became sticky to the touch. This is what I tried Isopropyl alcohol: This seemed to remove a sprayed on coating but now easily Goo be gone: did not work Talcum powder: did not want to do this acetone: did not want to do this lighter fluid: did...
  11. william13

Help me troubleshoot my preamp

Need some ideas on what component (s) I will need to replace/repair on my preamp and what might have gone wrong (lost one channel in a zone) Background info: 1. preamp is a solid state preamp about 10-15 years old 2. would like to fix because it integrates into a whole house keypad system...
  12. william13

Short interconnects for vintage Mcintosh

Just stacked my MR78 C29 MC300 on top of one another: All are in cases: Can't stand the dust catching spaghetti Need very short interconnects to connect: 1. c29 to mc300 2. mr78 to c29 3. phono to c29 4. cd to c29 For 1,2,4 would like to have my rca interconnects under 1 foot Very hard to...
  13. william13

Entry level turntable for sight impaired

A friend of mine who is legally blind expressed interest in purchasing a turntable. I believe she is starting from scratch ie no speakers, amp, preamp etc. Is there an entry level turntable that simply plugs into a computer via usb so one can listen to their album collection. (I know you...
  14. william13

Why would this be? MT10 to c2300

If I connect my MT10 to my c2300 using rca cables to the moving coil connectors on back, I get a hum, unless I connect Left out to right in and right out to left in. If I connect left to left or right to right the hum occurs. Yes its grounded. More info: Using ordinary rca connects that...
  15. william13

Size of spades for MC275 VI

Going to terminate some speaker wires for my MC275 VI with spades. What size are the binding posts?
  16. william13

oxidation of copper wire: role of heat shrinks and /or ferrules

Does oxidation still occur to a sig degree if one crimps to a spade and then covers it with heat shrink? I was going to terminate with ferrules but that limits which spades I must choose so I thought heat shrink might be another answer
  17. william13

Spades for DIY canare cables

It seems hard to find spades to terminate my DIY cables without breaking the bank. Using Canare 4s11 14 gauge to make 11 gauge wire. I am terminating this first with a 10 gauge WBT ferrule and then I need a screw spade (? 8 gauge) to go on the wbt ferrule. But many of the cheaper ones I...
  18. william13

Amp with one channel out: Tips to fix please!!

Guys: I am an experienced novice. I like to fix things by myself. Got an amplifier (Rotel- RB-976). It has 6 channels (3 x 2). The right is out on all. The left works on all. I want to open it up and see whats wrong. I know certain things like: I will look at caps and see if any...
  19. william13

tools for molex crimp pins

I recently tore a wire off of a crimp pin crimp pin WM2562 http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0016020096/WM2562-ND/115060 casing wm2900 http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=wm2900 I just need to crimp one wm2562 to a 28 gauge wire. Attempt...
  20. william13

need Manhattan apt 1 bed room upper west side /morning heigths

Need to rent (pretty much immediately a decent 1 bedroom apartment upper west side/morning heights Manhattan area for the next 6 months and possibly 1 year. If you have have any leads feel free to pm me. Very responsible non-smoker. Respectful.
  21. william13

mcintosh c2300 left meter reading much lower than right one

Just turned on the c2300. The right output meter is reading about 20 while left 40. Sound sounds good. Please help me trouble shoot ? source: MT10 ? amps mc 275 mono's speakers SF ellipse Sounds fine. All tubes green Ideas please Bill
  22. william13

twisted cable for speaker wires

Are the Belden 5000 speaker cables twisted? I can not tell by photo. I am deciding between Karma Kable and the Belden for home made (non bi-wire) speaker cables.
  23. william13

why no c29 for sale

cant find them on ebay cant find them on audiogon cant find them on Audioclassics cant find them on Terry D's site cant find them on google why so rare?
  24. william13

New vinyl has marks on it

Is this possible? I purchased (on the bay) Hendrix Electric Lady Land remastered 180 gm set. It was sold as new and still wrapped. When I opened it I noticed minor smudges on the vinyl and a minimal scuff and some very superficial scratches. Sounded good except for 2-3 pops on the entire...
  25. william13

faux wood repair on marantz 2325

Can scratches be repaired on the fake wood surface of a Marantz 2325 tx bill
Back
Top Bottom