Search results

1. boyerd001

Revox B790, help needed!

Hi Visto I used to check this forum more frequently, but have been away for awhile and hope some of this may be useful to you - I can't get as detailed as JLB2, my expertise is Physics, NOT circuit theory! I've got several B79x TTs, as some people who have read my posts probably know, and I've...
  2. boyerd001

Another Grado thread.

If you go the SoundSmith route, they "chop" off the cantilever and bond a new cantilever/stylus assembly to the resulting stub - I'm not saying this is bad, but you've got a different cartridge. SEND the Grado to Expert Stylus in the UK and for about $250 they will replace the original stylus...
  3. boyerd001

Yam CR-1020 recommendation

I doubt the LED is "burnt out". Use a magnifying glass and check the LED's soldering to its PCB - I had 4 develop solder cracks in my CR-2020 that made some of the LEDs intermittent and the others dim. The "FM Stereo" LED should be on with a strong station and off if the station is weak (been my...
  4. boyerd001

Want to see what's inside a Rega Planet CDP? Just repaired mine, and took pictures:

If you're getting "disc read errors" when playing a CD with the Planet you might want to replace the short (~65mm) 16 pin FFC (Flat Flexible Cable) that attaches the Laser Head to the Daughter PCB on the underside of the CD Transport Assembly (I'm guessing its "specs"). I mentioned this...
  5. boyerd001

Revox B790 Help

What kind of "drop damper" do you have? I'm assuming it's the piston type (both the piston AND bellows types were used in the B790). If it's the "piston type", the rate of decent/drop speed is adjustable by rotating the outer cylinder. This damper USES NO FLUID/OIL! The adjustment is VERY...
  6. boyerd001

Want to see what's inside a Rega Planet CDP? Just repaired mine, and took pictures:

I thought the spindle/puck assembly was supposed to be glued into a precise alignment from the factory?? Why do you have to adjust their alignment? With my Jupiter, the puck/spindle is aligned as perfectly as you could want (glued into alignment - couldn't change it without breaking something) -...
  7. boyerd001

Doors Soft Parade

Elektra Label Order The Doors (Elektra) label order is Tan/Gold, Big E, Butterfly, Small "E" - think they went back to a "Butterfly" sometime in the late '70s/early '80s but it was more monochromatic in color (not as vivid). Check this link for more info...
  8. boyerd001

Revox B791 Tangential

I've had Tantalum caps go bad on a B790 Motor PCB - the initial symptom was erratic turntable spin up and then things were fine. This occurred over and over - point here is a Tantalum can fail WITHOUT SHORTING or any of their other traditional failure modes (ain't electronics fun!!). There may...
  9. boyerd001

Rega Apollo

The first Rega Planet, Jupiter Transport, Planet 2000 and Jupiter 2000 ALL used a Sony mechanism with a metal platform and magnetic chuck in the cover to hold the CD in place. Rega abandoned that approach with the Apollo, Saturn and their ultra high Isis player because the Sony mechanism was no...
  10. boyerd001

Calling all REVOX Linatrack users!

B795 Bases/Motor Boards Hi All - If you look at "Section 5/2" of the ReVox B791/795 Service Manual, it will list the 2 different Base/Motor Boards used in the B791/795 series. I had thought that ALL B795s had the composite motor board, but apparently the later B795s went to the same motor...
  11. boyerd001

Calling all REVOX Linatrack users!

ReVox DID replace the earlier 3 ring mat Steve, look at the Service Bulletins I sent you - ReVox replaced the earlier 3 ring mat found on B790s and early B795s with a multi-ring mat. You have an early B795 since you have the BELLOWS damping in the tonearm instead of the latter "piston/air...
  12. boyerd001

V15-VMR or VxMR?

Easiest way to tell if you have an V15V-MR or V15VxMR is to look at the cartridge rear end where the connection pins are. If it says "Made in USA" it's a V15V-MR. If it says "Made in Mexico" it's a V15VxMR. I've never heard of a V15VxMR made in the USA except for maybe a pre-production test...
  13. boyerd001

Revox B 795 SMOKING

I'd bet it's the RIFA 0.1uF X2 capacitor across the AC power line that's starting to burn. Needs to be replaced PLUS the Frako electrolytic caps on the power supply PCB before you do much else with the table. Lots of discussion on this board on this problem/solution. Dale
  14. boyerd001

Revox B-795 setup questions

Great work on winding the gold tonearm/cartridge wires. Once you get them re-soldered, you can "finesse" them into their correct alignment with the bristles of a small watercolor paintbrush. You may be "over-thinking" the viscosity of the tonearm dampening grease, something along the viscosity...
  15. boyerd001

Revox A77 uneven levels

Just a "random" thought, but have you cleaned the heads/guides AND demagnitized the heads AND guides?? In cleaning the heads make sure there is NO film/grease left on them after your cleaning. Isopropyl alcohol (ISO) is generally recommended for head cleaning, but you may need several...
  16. boyerd001

Revox B-795 setup questions

I'm not sure where to start, so here goes: 1) Perry is correct on the TT transport screws - they are loose in normal operation and don't affect anything. Their only purpose is to secure the top plate to the base for shipment. The B790 securing screws are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the B79x/B291...
  17. boyerd001

Heard a new VPI Classic 3 w/Benz Ebony today

If I had $10K I'd get an EMT - A REAL table. A 930 Idler if I was LUCKY (probably dreaming) or a 948 Direct Drive (real possible). Dale
  18. boyerd001

Missing cap in Revox B77 power supply

That's the PCB - I was working from memory and JUST knew I called it by the wrong name. I identified the transistors from the schematic - NOT the PCB since you don't know what's connected to what on a PCB (unless you can really follow those traces). Unfortunately there's no easy way to test...
  19. boyerd001

Thoughts on the Yaqin MS-12B Phono Preamp

Hi Bob - Are you sure it was the HIGH lead content that caused the high solder melting temperature (what makes you think that for sure)? Lead itself is fairly low in melting temperature, so I would think that solder that was high in lead would be at a below normal (600-650F) melt temperature. I...
  20. boyerd001

Missing cap in Revox B77 power supply

This might not be of help OR may lead you in the right direction. I had a similar problem on a B77 several years ago - the Capstan would not stay engaged when PLAY was pressed. It turned out that one of the "Driver Transistors" Q6 or Q7 on the Tape Transport Logic PCB had gone bad. The Tape...
  21. boyerd001

NS speaker fused protection

You may "BLOW" the 1A fast blows with anything beyond medium volume - of course YOUR "medium volume" and mine may differ. I found that the 1.5A let me turn things up at least to "foot stumping" volume. Good Luck - The Fuses Are A Smart Move, Dale
  22. boyerd001

Revox Stopped working

Hi Pio1980 I saw your post #7. You correctly indicated that C1 could be a problem. MY QUESTION was whether it had ever been replaced - I just know from personal experience that it is a highly stressed part. I'll retire from this post, I wish the ReVox the best of luck! Dale
  23. boyerd001

Thoughts on the Yaqin MS-12B Phono Preamp

Confused on your 0.1uF caps??? The Yaqin MS-12B schematic indicates that the 6 caps you replaced are 1.0uF @ 275 V AND NOT 0.1uF @ 275 V. Did you deliberately reduce the values of these caps to 0.1uF?? I went on eBay looking for 1.0uF PIO and they are hard to find and HUGE. I can see a REAL...
  24. boyerd001

CD Player Lube?

From the CDPs I've worked on: 1) Polished metal guide rods passing through brass bearings - a fine oil like "sewing machine oil". 2) Any plastic (nylon) surface rubbing against another plastic (nylon) surface - white lithium grease (lithium grease is safe for plastics - anything else is a...
  25. boyerd001

NS speaker fused protection

I have a pair of NS-1000M (all original drivers) with a 1.5 amp fast-blow connected in series to the "red" connector of each - I can't hear any difference. Hell, mastering/pressing/version/edition/etc. etc. are of a greater audible difference - anyways, I feel better with that safe guard in...
Back
Top Bottom