Search results

1. gbroot

Powered Subwoofer Stays In Protection At Power Up

I recently purchased a Phase Tech Octave 10 powered sub woofer on marketplace. Upon power up it stays in protection and has a steady hum until an audio signal is presented. Once an audio signal is presented it goes out of protection and sounds great. I called Phase Tech and this unit is quite...
  2. gbroot

New to me AU-3900

Got this little 22 watt per ch amp as part of a trade for some gear I was selling. I really didn't know what to expect as the only other Sansui gear that I had any experience with was the 661 receiver. I've been running more modern AV receivers with 100 watt per ch ratings and gotta say for pure...
  3. gbroot

Need Nova 8b Capacitor List

I just picked up a set of 8b's and am needing a list of caps. I'm not looking to do the mods. Just wanting to replace the originals. Thanks!
  4. gbroot

Pioneer CS-88's Low Expectations. What A Surprise!

My wife and I made the drive from NW Arkansas to Omaha, Neb (6 hours) last Thurs to see the Grand-baby and family! Decided to do a little facebook marketplace scouring and low and behold found some Realistic Nova 6's and Pioneer CS-88's for a take it all today price. Turns out they were one...
  5. gbroot

Optimus 5 Tweeter Question ?????

I picked up a beat up but restorable set of Optimus 5's today. One of them was missing the tweeter otherwise all drivers are original. Just wondering if the Nova 7b, 8, or 8b tweets interchange with the Optimus 5 tweets? If they do it sure would help move this project along! Thanks.
  6. gbroot

Powered Sub Woofer Issue

On my Phase technology Sub Woofer it has developed a loud hum upon startup. The hum leaves when an audio signal is presented. The hum returns 2 or 3 minutes after an audio signal is removed when sitting idle. Thoughts anyone on what I need to check???
  7. gbroot

Sansui SP-2000 Bass Fix

I picked up a pair of Sansui SP-2000's on Saturday at a thrift store. They were rough so I offered 20.00 and the offer was accepted. These are very heavy speakers. Having had a set of SP-2500's a few years ago I didn't expect much bass out of these. And true to form they didn't have much. The...
  8. gbroot

An afternoon of A & B ing KLH 5 & 6's near field

Good afternoon. Thought I'd have a bit of fun today A & B ing my KLH 5's and 6's this afternoon. It very quickly turned into A+B. Sweet indeed. Front row seat of the concert, seriously. Hey, no wise cracks regarding the eq ok? Required due to bad tinnitus. This is a great combo together. Just...
  9. gbroot

KLH Model 5 Woofer Surrounds (Major Nasty Screw Up)

I had to replace one of my model 5 woofers 3 years ago. The replacement was a square magnet type rather than the original round one. Two years ago I came upon a set of Model 5 woofers on the auction site and the cloth surrounds had already been treated. I figured I'd have a matching set. So I...
  10. gbroot

Brand New Integrated Amp 1000 Watts Check This Out!

For those of you wanting high end gear, major watts :), and a small footprint (6lbs), check this out! It's a bit out of my price range but thought I'd share it. No affiliation with the product or ad...
  11. gbroot

Fixin to re-veneer my KLH Model 6's

Just bought a roll of nice walnut veneer on the auction site that arrived yesterday. 24" x 96". That'll give me quite a bit of extra to work with for some potential other projects. (Nova 8b's perhaps) Would like some input as to what to apply as finish. Was thinking tung oil, low gloss but would...
  12. gbroot

Bit the bullet - KLH 6's soon to be in the house!

I needed these like a cow needs another fly. One of those deals where I bid low and figured I wouldn't be the winner. No comments needed on the shipping cost. Ouch! Cosmetically they need help but that was my attraction to them as long as I didn't have to give much for them. It looks as though...
  13. gbroot

SX-626 put in the rotation today.

Well, I pulled out an SX-626 that's been on the shelf for a while. I bought her right and put a little work into her then parked her. Almost forgot I had it. My adult son just moved out and got a place of his own so I decided to set up that bedroom for small near field listening. After looking...
  14. gbroot

Speaker Plug Screw Thread Size

Hi All. I've got probably 10 sets of plugs and am thinking of replacing all of the screws to new pretty shiny ones before selling some off. I took one plug with me to several hardware stores + home depot, lowes etc and drew a blank on replacements. Just couldn't get a match on the thread even...
  15. gbroot

Monster Pro Logic Receivers

I've never been a big fan of AVR's but I do own an HK Pro Logic receiver that I use in the living room in just 2 channel mode. It compares very favorably in its sound reproduction with all of my vintage receivers from the 70's. It's paired with a set of KLH Model 5 speakers. I use it primarily...
  16. gbroot

Onkyo A-10 Dual Mono Love

Just got this beast in. This is my 3rd A-10. Think I'm gonna keep this one. Didn't really want to let the other two go either but circumstances at the time dictated differently. Every amp and receiver in my stable has its own sound signature. The A-10 does too. It's the most neutral of the...
  17. gbroot

HK 330B Goodness!!

Just picked this up and judging by the stiffness of all the controls it had not been used in a very long time. The dial, function, meter, and on/off switch lamps are all functional. Crazy. That's pretty rare on an old unit like this. So it took me a good hour or so to get her...
  18. gbroot

SX-727 FM MPX Adjustment?

Just picked this unit up. Nice cosmetic shape but needed a good cleaning of the controls. Prior to the cleaning of controls FM was nill. Now it pulls in everything and is spot on the numbers. That said it is only playing mono FM. (Aux, Phono, tape all play stereo) The tuning meter stays centered...
  19. gbroot

Darlington output question

I have had a number of the x8x series receivers with little trouble from any of them. I'm currently looking at a nice 680 and got to thinking about the Darlington outputs being one of the main issues of this series. I am wondering if there might be some easy cautionary steps that can be taken to...
  20. gbroot

SX-525 Added To The X2X Herd

Just arrived today in the original box with all manuals and schematic. Included 2 sets of speaker plugs, one set new in the plastic wrapper. This unit is a time warp and as I understand it was stored away in its box for decades. As expected controls needed the deoxit and fader lube attention...
  21. gbroot

Accessing SX-1500TD Dial Pointer

Hi all. I just re-lamped an SX-1500TD minus the dial pointer lamp. It looks as though major disassembly is required to access it and then pulling it off of the rail without breaking the pointer itself appears to be a delicate task. Even looking at the manual the task appears daunting. I've...
  22. gbroot

What Vintage Speakers Would You Buy If Money Were No Object?

So there's another thread up regarding what new speakers would you buy if...? I'm just not familiar with the better new speaker's out there as I don't consider a trip to Best Buy in my best listening interest. And we just don't have the local mid fi shops around anymore. So let's take a trip...
  23. gbroot

Calling all former Radio Shack employees!

As many of us know and perhaps a few don't know Radio Shack sold some really decent gear and really good "package" deals with some of their better receivers, speakers, TT's etc. Of course they also had the all in one combo units and lower end speakers that most of us associate with Radio Shack...
  24. gbroot

JBL L100t3's Any Good

Local CL offering. May go look at them. I need opinions and input. Thanks!
  25. gbroot

SX-1500TD Dial Pointer Lamp Replacement

I just replaced the fuse lamps and indicator bulbs. The dial pointer bulb is out and I'm just a bit stumped as to how to access it. Any help and "pointers" is appreciated!
Back
Top Bottom