Search results

1. Y

2285 filter caps

Completed this over the weekend, thanks to those who helped out. I think the sound is virtually indistinguishable from what is was before, perhaps a tiny bit more detail but I'll have to do more listening at different times of day to see if there really is a difference.
  2. Y

Power Capacitor Polarity?

Was wondering if they were somehow in series, but the ground in between was confusing. Thanks.
  3. Y

Power Capacitor Polarity?

I picked up Kemet 15000 63 volt, 51 X 82 mm capacitors for my 2285. I've removed the old ones and put the new ones in place but I'm a bit confused about the polarity of the terminals and which to ground. The original caps are not marked with polarity. (Actually I'm confused at how many wires...
  4. Y

looking for a thread describing vellum replacement

I replaced mine about 5 years ago when I replaced the bulbs. I used Reynolds parchment paper from the grocery store, the type designed for use in the oven. Others here recommended it as an alternative and it worked very well. My thread is here...
  5. Y

2285 filter caps

Thanks for the info all. I won't be able to get to this project for about a month but will report back on my glorious success then. ;)
  6. Y

2285 filter caps

So, I think that is what I need. I pulled the cover and bottom plate and noticed some leakage from one of the filter caps. See pics, incl. bottom view. Can anyone help with recommending suitable replacements? Is this a reasonable DIY project? I have a decent soldering station but not much...
  7. Y

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I'm only 520 pages behind at present. I look at it as more opportunity.
  8. Y

I can't see the DR site from here, though I'm familiar with it. Dynamic Range is not necessarily the issue with RVG, there may be plenty, I really don't know. He apparently had high-frequency range hearing loss so he EQ'ed his masterings by goosing the highs. That makes them difficult for...
  9. Y

The Columbia Jazz Masterpiece series seems to be generally recognized as about the worst version available (not just for this title), unless Rudy Van Gelder released an RVG version.
  10. Y

ADS L1290: We Must, Musn't We?

They are Walnut, not Oak. ;)
  11. Y

LET AK DO THE HEAVY "LISTENING"!!!! (music experts needed!)

Shawn Phillips My older brothers turned me on to him in the 70's, and living in Texas it was not difficult to catch his shows in various small clubs here and there. His vocal range was amazing and his proficiency on a 12-string was remarkable. Allmusic states: " Shawn Phillips is one of...
  12. Y

Silver CD players....?

I have one of these, well made, HDCD capable.
  13. Y

Are re-mastered cd's worth replacing regular cd's?

I'll second this. To me AK is all about "how to listen," though there is great variety in some of the "now listening" threads here, just not a lot of discussion about what gets listed. SHTV is about "what to listen to," and specifically to the OP's question. There is no simple or correct...
  14. Y

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

This is my experience as well. Do not buy from a grocery store. Buy high quality wet foods from a pet store that are grain free. Some dry is good for keeping the teeth clean but a dry-only diet tends to lead to kidney disease due to dehydration. You're trying to emulate a natural...
  15. Y

Tom Waits. Where should I begin?

If you go to the allmusic discography for Tom (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tom-waits-mn0000615119/discography) and sort by user ratings it works out like this: Rain Dogs Swordfishtrombones Closing Time Bone Machine Bad as Me The Heart of Saturday Night Mule Variations Franks Wild Years Small...
  16. Y

What's your career and education??

Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M.
  17. Y

Today's Audiophile Album Playlist

Back to back to back to back: Quite nice these.
  18. Y

10 bands you follow that are releasing new music

I think I understand what you're getting at, though "follow" might not be the right term for me, I don't really have enough time to follow anyone. There are lots of 70's acts, e.g., that come through town on tour and I have to assume that most of them are living off their hits from back when...
  19. Y

He is what is known as a "tuxedo."
  20. Y

Jackson Browne... So Good

Have never seen him perform but I have tickets for his show here Aug 24. If you are a fan and don't have Love is Strange I'd recommend you grab a copy.
  21. Y

Banjo here. He is as smart as he is good looking.
  22. Y

What song really MOVES you?

This makes me want to invade Poland:
  23. Y

This never fails to literally MOVE me:
  24. Y

On a lighter note:
Back
Top Bottom