Search results

1. Sparkler

JVC JR-S400 MKII

I just picked up this receiver at my local GW for $10.00. It was filthy but cleaned up quite nicely. I hooked up some speakers and she sings. At 80 watts per channel and weighing in at nearly 38 lbs, this thing is a beast. Was JVC really crap? Why do people seem to disregard JVC as such? Bad...
  2. Sparkler

ADS L730 vs Large Advents

Having been a huge fan of pretty much anything "Kloss", my most recent GW find has me changing out the speakers in my living room today. I have a pristine set of the bullnose cab Advents that will be retired and replaced with the ADS L730's that someone was kind enough to donate at our local GW...
  3. Sparkler

ADS L730 Speakers

Today when I did my daily Goodwill walk about I was surprised to see a set of older speakers sitting there. Of course I pulled the metal (?) grills off to see what time had done to the surrounds. Luckily everything was intact. Cabs were very nice and the grills are perfect. Not being familiar...
  4. Sparkler

Sony CDP-302 belt replacement

Has anyone had the good fortune to change out the belts in one of these decks? If so, was a fairly straight forward or a pain in the neck? Also, the display is blank but the machine plays beautifully. Any suggestions for repairing that issue as well? Thanks a bunch.
  5. Sparkler

Sony CDP-302...Help

Okay, so I just acquired a "new to me" CD player. It's a Sony CDP-302. It is aesthetically beautiful. Here is my dilemma. The display is blank and the drawer is sluggish. It plays very well and is sonically superior to my Magnavox CDB-500. Can anyone tell me if there is a repair that wont break...
  6. Sparkler

CD player opinions

Here is my dilemma. I have just recently delved into the world of CD players and have acquired two. First is a Magnavox CD500 and second is a Sony CDP-302. I am only keeping one of these but am at a loss as to which one to send down the road and which to keep. Will one be more "mechanically...
  7. Sparkler

Turntable choices. What to do.

I have to make a choice quick so I need some input. The decision to be made is between a Technics SL1300 and a Hitachi PS 58. The Hitachi looks like it just came out of the box. I can find plenty of info on the Technics, but the Hitachi has been elusive. Thoughts?
  8. Sparkler

LARGE Advent tweeter replacement

I recently picked up another set of Large Advent speakers at our local Goodwill. They are the bullnose type cabs and are in absolute pristine condition. The corners and edges are sharp and I cannot find a flaw anywhere on them. The grill cloth is like new as well. When I removed the grills, I...
  9. Sparkler

ONKYO TX-5000

Any thoughts on this? I have the opportunity to pick up a 65 watt Onkyo TX-5000 for $99.00. It needs some lights replaced in it, but other than that it functions just fine other than the scratchy knob thing. My question is would you fork over the 99 bucks?
  10. Sparkler

Which ones would you keep?

I have a book shelf dilemma and I need love and support...or else a swift kick. I have a pristine set of Klipsch KG 1.2's and a pristine set of KEF K120's. Wifey poo says that my stock pile has to shrink. Which would you keep and why? The KEF's are newly acquired at my local Goodwill for the sum...
  11. Sparkler

NAD 7250pe

I just picked up a receiver that I'm not familiar with. It's a NAD 7250pe. Got it at the Goodwill for 14.00. Brought it home, hooked it up on my bench and BAM! Like a charm! Seems like a nice little unit. I may replace my Onkyo TX 2500 MKII with it. Any thoughts on this gear?
  12. Sparkler

SANSUI TU-4400

I recently acquired a very nice Sansui TU-4400 tuner. It is very sensitive and grabs stations without a problem even without an antenna. I am getting ready to put up a Winegard HD6010 FM antenna I just need to find the time and am excited to see what this little tuner can really do. There is...
  13. Sparkler

KLIPSCH KG2 date

I recently purchased a set of Klipsch KG2's from the original owner and at what I feel was an excellent price. I've read mixed reviews and haven't hooked them up yet. They are in amazing shape. I am wondering if one can decipher the date of manufacture by decoding the serial number. I was...
  14. Sparkler

KLIPSCH KG2 date

I just purchased a set of Klipsch KG2's from the original owner for $49.00. I feel that it was a great buy. My question is, can you decipher the serial number to determine the date of manufacture? The serial # is 8849178. the numbers are consecutive.
  15. Sparkler

SHURE N97HE

I have never dared delve into the mysterious world of cartridges and stylus's. I do however have a close friend that has played a major role in piquing my interest. My son is coming to town tonight and has acquired a SHURE N97HE that sports an ERA IV STYLUS. I am curious as to what I can expect...
  16. Sparkler

Yamaha T7 and Nikko Gamma 20

My brother in law was recently cleaning out his garage when he came across a box that had two tuners in it. A Yamaha T7 and a Nikko Gamma 20. He is giving them to me when he comes to visit in a couple of days. Any thoughts on these tuners? I've never heard of Nikko until recently.
  17. Sparkler

JVC A-X2

I just picked this up at the local Goodwill and was curious as to your opinions on the AX series. I've never owned anything JVC but thought that I might luck out for 14 bucks. It is seriously in "like new" condition.
  18. Sparkler

Goodwill Hunting

Yesterday I dropped by my local GW for a quick stroll through the electronics section and scored a JVC A-X2 integrated amp. I've never owned anything JVC but for 14 bucks I took the gamble. It is in "like new" condition. Anyone had any experience with this particular series? Thoughts?
  19. Sparkler

MA-6100 issue

I recently picked up this amp for dirt cheap as far a McIntosh components go. I hooked it up and the sound is scratchy and garbled. Having never opened up a Mc my question is this. Is it a daunting task to get into and do the Deoxit thing? What are the chances that a good bath will fix it...
  20. Sparkler

Technics SU-7300

I'll take another stab at this. I have a Technics SU-7300. It is in the big wood cabinet. I need to extract the guts. There are no screws anywhere on this thing .Front, sides, bottom or back! I was a millwright and I know what a screw looks like. The chassis slides in from the front. Other than...
  21. Sparkler

Quick delivery

Scenario: I'm at my desk when a co-worker approaches and tells me the story of piece of stereo gear that his Dad picked up at a local nursing home where his buddies dad was living before he passed. Buddy didn't want the component and wanted to sell it. I tell co-worker that I would like to see...
  22. Sparkler

Technics SU-7300 Amp

This thing obviously slides into the wood cabinet from the front. I have a McIntosh MA6100 that is in an identical Cab. Really? Yup! The Mac has panlocks and slips right out with the push of two buttons. Can someone enlighten me as to how to slide the innards out of the Technics? Please and...
  23. Sparkler

Pioneer S-T500 speakers....what would you do?

I just snagged four of these at the Goodwill for 15.00 each and they are in very nice condition. Has anyone had any experience with is particular model?
  24. Sparkler

MCS 3253 Receiver question

My son recently picked up an MCS 3253 reciever at our local Goodwill. I suspect that a cap may be responsible for an intermittent crackling in the left channel. The unit has been throughly cleaned with Deoxit. The tuner in this thing is nothing short of amazing..at least to me. It pulls in FM...
  25. Sparkler

Snell Type K Speaker

Okay, for some reason one of my beloved Snell Type K's stopped making music. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE!! The tweeter still does its thing but the woofer is as quiet as a church mouse pissing on a cotton ball. Is there anything that I can do? Is there a replacement speaker available? Do I have any...
Back
Top Bottom