Search results

1. jhal

Chromecast

Yes, the TV has analog output jack. I have no spare inputs on my preamp though. Need to ditch something or add a switchbox. Also hate the added noise of going through the TV's electronics for the sound. I guess when you build something to a 35 dollar price point, things are compromised.
  2. jhal

Chromecast

I bought a Google Chromecast and I must say, the gadget works pretty well. 35 bucks. My only gripe is that there is no audio output jack on the unit to run to a stereo/ home theater system. For those unfamiliar. It's a gadget, just larger then a thumbdrive that plugs into the HDMI input of your...
  3. jhal

Car audio amplifer for home audio?

Current requirements aside, keep in mind that car amps are rated at 4 ohms nominally. Most can run 2 ohms, (or some even less) safely, provided there is sufficient current available. Most home speakers are 8 ohms. So a QUALITY car amp that puts out, say 200 watt/ch at 4 ohms with a...
  4. jhal

Windows 7 and M-Audio soundcard

No. I've disabled it in Device Manager, but not BIOS. Maybe I will mess with it tomorrow after the Christmas chaos is over. Thank you for the suggestion.
  5. jhal

I have tried everything, including removing all drivers and software from the system and installing the correct, latest drivers. I have contacted M-Audio, over a month ago, and no response. I'm ready to rip this soundcard out of my machine and replace it with something that will actually be...
  6. jhal

Nissan reboots....the original Toyota Celica?

Damn, I hope it's rear wheel drive.
  7. jhal

Trash Find: Infinity SM 80

Not Infinity's best effort, in my opinion. From the early 90's I believe. I would re-purpose the cabinet with some better drivers and crossovers, or you could fix them and decide for yourself. Re-foam the woofers and i'm sure the tweeters are plentiful on Ebay. Just looked and you can get a...
  8. jhal

I recently turned my computer into a dual boot system with Windows 7 (keeping XP on the other partition). I was very pleased to see how easy it was to integrate all my existing hardware with the new OS. That is, except my M-Audio, Audiophile 2496 soundcard. I downloaded and installed the Win...
  9. jhal

Engineer/Producer mistakes (loudness complaints not allowed)

Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is very distorted at the end. Not sure is this was done on purpose or not, but it has caused the "clip" lights to illuminate on some of my equipment when being played at moderate volumes.
  10. jhal

Best 200w power amp for around $400?

I was going to say Yamaha M-2, (240/ ch into 8 ohms) but from what I have seen and read, the P2200 is very similar to the M-2 and a little more under the radar. Most M-2's are going to need something to restore their performance to "when new" levels. They are getting quite old. Yamaha PC-2602...
  11. jhal

CARVER PM 350 Replacement Fan?

Having owned a PM-1201 in another lifetime, when it's two fan motors quit, I went to Radio Shack and found nearly the exact motors for a few bucks each. I don't know if Radio Shack still carries them, this was in the very late 90's. I want to say they were in the 9-12 volt range. If your...
  12. jhal

Help me with amp's cables...:(

P3 connects to the positive voltage rail, P4 to the negative voltage rail. You need to find out which of the red and blue wires are neg and pos. Likely the red is pos and the blue is neg. There's gotta be a ground lead, unless it is the chassis. The other two wires, white and orange, connect...
  13. jhal

Help me with amp's cables...:(

The wire lead color is not printed on the board next to the terminals? I can't zoom in on the picture without it pixelating. I take it those 3 red/blue/white wires are the +/gnd/- DC supplies. White is likely ground, red may be B+, and blue B-. Could be, but anything goes really. The...
  14. jhal

Upgrading to Windows 7

That's a great idea! Thank you. From the "why didn't I think of that" department.:thmbsp: My C drive is big enough to do that, 225 GB, and 7 would get most of that. XP, with programs, is using about 44 GB right now. Give one partiton for XP around 80 GB, and the rest to 7. I already have...
  15. jhal

My restored Case 446 tractor

That is great restoration job! That tractor will last another generation, no problem. All you need is a belly mower, lol! Better then anything offered today. Period! You simply cannot buy that kind of quality, new, at any price that I know of. I have an old International Cub, from 1968...
  16. jhal

Verizon DSL just sucks

"Dry Pair", they must be referring to the ancient nitrogen charged copper trunk lines. It's not your fault their infrastructure isn't completely up to date. My stepfather retired from GTE, just before the Verizon buyout/takeover. He saw the writing on the way and got out. Anyway, he...
  17. jhal

Camry misfire but no code

A scan tool that does a cylinder contribution test, or that has misfire counter on the data stream will show you which cylinder(s) are misfiring. You can't buy those types of scan tools at the auto parts store. May be a bad coil pack or coil boot. What will happen is, the PCM (power train...
  18. jhal

Kenmore Microwave

Sounds like a bad cooling fan? Maybe the thermal cutout is tripping? If you open it up, be VERY careful. There is a capacitor in there that CAN KILL YOU!!! Long after it has been unplugged.
  19. jhal

Upgrading to Windows 7

Ok then, I guess I will do a clean install, as much as I dread spending nearly an entire day getting programs reinstalled and customizations done. I will also do a backup image of my C drive before I start, so I will have a snapshot of the way the system was, just in case. Thanks for the...
  20. jhal

Upgrading to Windows 7

My computer is still running XP, but is more then capable of running Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Is is a 64 bit machine that came with a 32 bit OS. All of my "data", ie pictures, music, and other crap is on separate hard drives, so losing it is not a concern when upgrading. Losing the programs...
  21. jhal

98 Taurus, P1744 code... opinions sought

The piston bores on these transmissions don't have steel sleeves, and the steel piston to aluminum bore clearance gets scored up due to age and debris in the dirty fluid, causing blowby of the fluid when they are pressurized. Some trans shops can install steel sleeves in the piston bores, but...
  22. jhal

Can anyone identify these mystery towers?

Those appear to be quality drivers, not the shiny, blingy crap on white van stuff. Cabs look good too. Grab 'em if the price is right.:yes: I see other gear in the background, looks like a garage or repair shop? If you're going to post on "Flcker", rotate your damn pics to the upright...
  23. jhal

Blown woofers - all I can say is damn!

Sounds like a spike of DC went through the speaker when changing sources. I would take it out of the system and get it repaired, as it may start doing it when the volume is turned down as well.
  24. jhal

unmarked mystery giant towers

Unscrew the baffle and have a peak inside. Hopefully there is not half a tube of caulk holding it in place. Can you take a picture inside the bass bin? How far up is the "sub"? :lurk: Even if they suck, the good thing is, it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to construct a new...
  25. jhal

Audio Centron "ACE-12H" PA speakers -- any info?

It looks well made, possibly an Eminence woofer? Pull that sucker apart and see what it's got! You might be able to just remove the jack plate/crossover and take a peek inside too. Heavy, and made in the USA is always a good thing. How do they sound with plenty of good clean power? Do you...
Back
Top Bottom