Search results

1. C

Quick question MX113 powering on

I have a MX113 that I have had for about 30 years. It has not been powered on for about 20 years. Is it safe to power on or should I use a variac to bring it up slowly? I assume it will need to be aligned, but what else should I consider doing once I have it up and running?
  2. C

Berks County, PA Nice deal!!

I figured the speakers were the prize also. I looked at the stuff yesterday. 2 blown drivers I passed.
  3. C

How did you first fall in love with Fisher and what was your first model?

My first Fisher piece was a SA300 that my father purchased new about the time I was born. His system was the 300, a Scott preamp and a Fisher tuner, Gerard turntable powering a pair of, built into the wall, AR1s. Someone gave him good advice except for the speaker location. I spun Beatles...
  4. C

Fisher 400 no FM mono

It was a bad solder joint R28..
  5. C

Fisher 400 no FM mono

My 400 is sounding wonderful but I have no FM mono output. I replaced the suspect 1 uf in the MPX and corrected the eye dance. In mono the eye retracts and does react to tuning but modulates a little. If I had to guess ( remember I am a novice) I would think the issue is after or R28 which...
  6. C

Fisher's First High Power Stereo Amplifier: The SA-300

Dave. I have been studying the 3 schematics you posted to familiarize myself with the modifications. I have a couple questions. On the EFB schematic, the 2 watt resistor at the top after the 410 V supply. I cannot make out its value. 15? 150? 1500? On the Input and Inverter Driver Stages...
  7. C

Fisher 400 My next project with a lot to learn

Correct, my dyslectic mistake, 45.22 K is the correct figure.
  8. C

Dave, Thank you for the explanation. I have set the combined resistance of the control and parallel resistors to 54.22 K. I now have the urge to start collecting the necessary test equipment to achieve the least possible distortion. All in time. I also want to thank you personally, and the...
  9. C

Yes I moved the plate supply voltage of the AF stage to 306V ( Dave's Schematic 310v) My AF stage plate voltage 98V vs Daves 90V and My PI stage Cathode voltage 99V vs Daves 91V
  10. C

Yes I check the resistor values when I remember . Both channels are close. Pin 1 resistance measures 48.97 K and 49.03 K Pin 3 fully adjusted measure 47.93 47.66. Another member had a similar problem after installing this mod on a Fisher 500. There is pair of parallel resistors just before...
  11. C

Well it took me a while but I have finished up all of Dave Gillespie's mods as outlined in " Improving the Fisher 400" The unit is sounding very good. I have a question about adjusting the AC balance. I have the PI modification in place and I tried to use this quick method Posted by Larry ...
  12. C

I found the culprit. It is the shielded lead from the volume control to V13 network. I hooked my meter up to the volume pot and started to poke around the area of V13. It took a while but it was obvious once I found it. Powered the unit on and I could control the right channel volume by flexing...
  13. C

Poked around some more, gave some areas a shot of Deoxit. A few hours later I powered it up and the right channel is back but balance control needs to be way off center. The right channel dropped out again while playing after about 15 minutes. I have an intermittent problem I guess.
  14. C

I think it is more than that but I am open to suggestions . Leads are connected , at 12 o'clock setting of volume control right channel 1.2K left channel (the working channel) 127 K
  15. C

I checks most components downstream of the volume control. The resistance between the lugs of the volume control varies greatly between channels???
  16. C

Ok will do, OTs were not in place. Grid resistors are good.
  17. C

One problem fixed another arises. I now have very low output from the right channel. I swapped tubes 8 and 9 and also 10 and 11. Swapped output tube pairs, checked voltages across heaters in V 8,9,10,11 all about 14 volts. Looked around a lot for anything I may have nudged while connecting...
  18. C

Down and dirty,, I switched the legs on the transistors and hooked up the board before mounting it. I read your suggestion about checking the transistors after I was done. I think I bought 10 transistors. With line voltage @122vac via variac I get the voltages on Dave G's schematic 435v and...
  19. C

I'm Back 4:17 PM. I think I found it, Rookie mistake. I have the collector and base switched on the 2- KSA1013. I drew a drawing and had them interchanged, I do not know where I got that info. Do you think they are still good? I will check the rest of the components the best I can, and...
  20. C

Ok here are some shots. If someone can spot an error I will be amazed. Not because I do not think there is one, there most likely is. I takes me quite some time to trace it looking at the schematic and flipping the board back and forth. I will start now. 3:36 PM
  21. C

Thanks for the advice . Luck I will need. I will pull the board and check the build. My bet is I made a mistake somewhere. I will check the transistor orientation. I will disconnect the bis lead from the 330 ohm resistors and see if in fact there is any output with the led disconnected.
  22. C

Disconnected EFB board from transformer. Still have output from board to screen grids. Slight +.2 voltage at bias output, output still connected 330k grid resistors. R138 stays at room temperature.
  23. C

Output tubes are removed. I removed tubes 8-11 and brought the variac up to 67vac. R 138 starts to get hot at that voltage. My B+ is 239 volts Output to screen grids from EFB board is 170 volts Output to bias network from EFB board -1volt. It does not change while adjusting the 10k trimmer...
  24. C

I did not think about it when I took the photos of the charts , they are copyrighted. I do not believe I should post them.
  25. C

Everything was working fine until I cut the white lead. I do not know how hot the resistor was getting before,but it is very hot now. Rectifier voltage checked OK prior to this.
Back
Top Bottom