Search results

1. smartin53

Good news, bad news

Wait...what did I miss?
  2. smartin53

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FOLKS!

It's finally that time of the year!
  3. smartin53

Anyone surprised by the c26 or c28 preamp?

I always liked my C28...but once I got my MX120 I chose to drop it and my MX110z. Blasphemy I know.
  4. smartin53

My Garage Sale Find

I wish I lived near you...I just wanna replace those resistors because they need to be.
  5. smartin53

It survived (thus far)

For some reason I had to move my CD input to the DVD input. I suspect I forgot to document an assignment of inputs. Also my FM reception is sucking today....guessing I need to get a better antenna.
  6. smartin53

It survived (thus far)

Just moved from Colorado to California. So I just hooked the most basic up to ensure that the system produces sound. Thus far...all is well. I was concerned about my turntable mostly as it wasn't as secure as I had intended. The Thorens TD-160 turntable came lose and gouged the trim/cover a bit...
  7. smartin53

Unique Mc Setups

So I have the reduced capacity version. Runs off the car battery but doesn't get you very far time wise...
  8. smartin53

Unique Mc Setups

So my own setup had me wondering...what might one consider or feel is their or the industry's own unique Mc setup? For me its my preamp/amp (yep using home audio terms in a car...and a self plug) setup in my DeLorean.
  9. smartin53

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

My best buys thus far (stock photos)... A set of Speakercraft Monitor 3s for $50... And a set of Sony APM-66ES' for $40 which I am presently restoring...
  10. smartin53

Come on dude...

He could have at least TRIED...
  11. smartin53

Just scored some Sony APM-66ES'

Well better late than never. Finally got around to fixing the tweeters. As mentioned the voice coils were shot and rewinding on my own was a bit too much. I resorted to sourcing em from the guy at Reunion Island and he was kind enough to provide detailed instructions also for installation. At...
  12. smartin53

Phoenix 2105

Could always get some electronics cleaner and hose down the internals and circuits. Had to do that to a 2505 I restored that had a nice thick layer of cigarette tar coating EVERYTHING from a prior owner. Good thing I took it outside to do so. It was ew but the end result was no tar and clean guts.
  13. smartin53

Old look vs New Mac. Bring back the knobs and rocker switches!

I don't mind the new stuff. I just request we forego ever trying to relive the 1980s McIntosh aesthetic.
  14. smartin53

Tubes for tuner Section MX110Z

Also try removing and reseating all the tubes. Sometimes its just that simple. Bad connection or some corrosion.
  15. smartin53

McIntosh Burial Urn?

Uh...
  16. smartin53

Thoughts on what a future MC275 VII might be?

That's an interesting thought. I wouldn't mind something that builds on the 275 but sticks closer to the traditional look. Like you said...maybe a bit more symmetrical with inputs/outputs on the rear, more power. I think they can keep the side slant as an image item but just with switches or...
  17. smartin53

Tube rolling in my recently acquired MAC 1700 with the original tubes...

When I got my MAC1700 I did a complete tube swap. Only one of the tubes was actually bad but I swapped all of them anyway for good measure. Resulted in a solid performing tuner that will last for years and a nice cache of old tubes I've used in various devices over the years. Especially the...
  18. smartin53

That's what folks say when they claim they are JJs...in reverse. A quick search seems to say most often the current VI 88s are EHs (or at a min made at New Sensor) while the small tubes are JJs. Mark V and early VIs might have used JJs or something that resembled them. Either way I don't see EHs...
  19. smartin53

Dealing with FedEx and UPS after a delivery

They just...do. The photo thing is great advice once you've been through the incident but never brought up when shipping and buried in their fine print.
  20. smartin53

Dealing with FedEx and UPS after a delivery

FedEx managed to mangle a properly packed MA6100 but since I neglected to take a photo of the packing prior to shipping it was somehow MY fault and they refused to reimburse. That was the end of using them.
  21. smartin53

You do realize that the tubes they use ARE Electro-Harmonix tubes...just screened by McIntosh (or its designated factory minion) and silkscreened with their logo.
  22. smartin53

So I was just thinking about this. We've been graced with the VI since basically 2011 so its now 8 years old. This makes me think we are close to a new revision. Question is...what might it be? This is just a fun speculation exercise. Other than sticking with the classic form factor I can't...
  23. smartin53

2017 Wish....New McIntosh Vac Tube Integrated Amp

All I can think of when I see that...
  24. smartin53

TT21 tubes instead of KT88

I'd love to try some original NOS TT21/22 tubes but even a "fraction" is closer to $500 if you need 4 of the things.
Back
Top Bottom