Search results

1. winters860

Elkhart, IN to Dayton, OH

I’m looking at a smallish mono hi-fi console in Elkhart, Indiana, and could use help getting it to Dayton, Ohio, or even as close as Lima or Muncie. Let me know if you might be able to help, and I’ll pay for your gas.
  2. winters860

ID this cartridge?

Thinking about buying a turntable equipped with this cartridge. Table dates from the early 1970s. Does anyone recognize it?
  3. winters860

Which screws for Altec 802 D cap? Thread size?

If I’m going to a hardware store looking for new screws to go in the back of an 802D, what am I looking for?
  4. winters860

Low Volume from Sony XDR-F1HD

I’m finally firing up my yard sale XDR-F1HD. I’m finding that its ability to pull in stations lives up to the hype. However, there seems to be a problem. Volume is exceedingly low, to the point that it’s an obvious problem. Can anyone point me towards a fix?
  5. winters860

Kenwood KA-8100 oddball problem

This is specific enough that someone familiar with the circuit may immediately know what’s wrong. The right channel preamp puts out no sound unless I activate one or both of the low and high filters. It sure doesn’t seem to be a problem with a dirty contact in a switch. Any ideas where to look...
  6. winters860

Hustonville, KY to Ohio

Looking to have a tape deck in Hustonville run up to Cincinnati or, ideally, Dayton. Thanks!
  7. winters860

US Gray Plate 12A*7?

I expect that various Euro tubes and US black plates will top most "favorites" lists, but are there any gray plate US-made 12AX7, 12AU7, or 12AT7 that I should keep my eyes peeled for? Seems like they're still fairly affordable.
  8. winters860

Help me ID this Chicago Transformer choke!

Help, catalog-meisters! Google has left me empty-handed identifying what appears to be a small potted choke, which I hope to be able to use in a choke input power supply for a small preamp. It has the Chicago Transformer logo on the side. Bottom is stamped “8797” and terminals have stamped...
  9. winters860

Help me ID the leads on this Philco transformer.

Numbers on transformer are 32-3924-2 and 352204. From Philco single-ended 6BQ5 stereo console chassis 1628X. I believe we’re looking at primary, center-tapped secondary, 6V filament, 6CA4 rectifier 6V filament. Colors are as follows: Black Black Yellow Blue/White Green Red Green/White...
  10. winters860

A/C Compressor Conundrum

When my central A/C crapped out Saturday, my first thought was to the tiny refrigerant leak that's caused us to top it off the last two seasons. Luckily, I dug a little deeper and realized last night that my compressor wasn't kicking on. As soon as I got home from work today, I started in on...
  11. winters860

Oilcan PIO question

I've got an oiler labeled as 3x .24uF with three terminals. Does that mean that the can is common? And that if I use this as coupling caps in an amp, the can will carry high voltage?
  12. winters860

Help me pick a tube rectifier!

This one's a toughie. I'm building a new amp. I've identified 5AR4/GZ34 as an option, but I'm looking for something a little cheaper to put together a stash of. single-ended power amp prefer delayed B+ 410-0-410 secondary choke input ~90mA amplifier current draw rectifier filament secondaries...
  13. winters860

Line stage schematic suggestions sought:

I know these threads get done to death, and become a grab bag of suggestions only tangentially related to the subject matter ("Buy a used Adcom GTP-500II instead!" "Psvane makes the best new-production tubes and I'll CUT anybody that says different!") but that's okay, right? :whip: I'll be...
  14. winters860

South Bend, IN to Dayton, OH

This is a longshot, but I'm hoping to find a way to get a large pair of speaker cabinets from Mishawaka, Indiana near South Bend to Dayton, Ohio, or even part-way. Each cabinet is 24" x 48" x 18". Compensation guaranteed. Thanks for the consideration.
  15. winters860

RH84 / Akai single-ended tube amps - power suppy questions

I recently acquired a pair of AKAI 6BQ5 monoblock amplifiers from an M6 Terecorder reel-to-reel. These are not well-known decks, but the amps are substantially similar to the ones in the M7, M8, and Roberts equivalents thereof. Rather than try to rehabilitate the original circuit, I plan to...
  16. winters860

Stereo Console ID help?

Seller says it's a Zenith, but that doesn't exactly ring true to me. Still waiting on more/better pictures.
  17. winters860

New eBay scam from Chinese sellers?

Recently, I purchased a relay-controlled input selector board from a Chinese eBay seller with over 70,000 feedback, 99.1% positive. It ran a grand total of $11.84, including ePacket shipping with tracking. My package arrived Thursday afternoon. The customs declaration said "integrated...
  18. winters860

Baldwin via battradio

This amp started life in the late 40's or early 50's at the Baldwin Piano Company just a few clicks down I-75 from me in Cincinnati. It was originally designed to bi-amp an organ, and its first decades were spent paying dues playing hymns. Sometime substantially more recently, it was modified...
  19. winters860

Best power amp under $500?

I'll be buying a used amplifier soon, and am having trouble coming up with a shortlist. Requirements: Available used under $500 150+ watts per channel (give or take) Manufactured after 1997 (give or take) Passive cooling I've been honing in on the Paramount HCA-1500A (which I've owned before)...
  20. winters860

Bad connection at optical S/PDIF inputs.

My Harman/Kardon Signature 2.0 pre/pro has a problem with both optical inputs. I've tried different cables, and ruled out a problem there. Neither will pass a consistent signal - both of them need the cables held in place. Seems like classic bad solder joints. Try reflowing connections the...
  21. winters860

New Ortofon 2M Blue or Stylus 30?

I've been happily using an Ortofon OM 30 cartridge for about a year. A couple of weeks ago, I found a lightweight counterweight, and was able to put a Concorde (original lightweight version) to use with the Stylus 30 I'd been using on the OM body. The difference in sound wasn't dramatic. Last...
  22. winters860

Harman/Kardon Signature 2.0 (or, "So You Decided to Buy an Ancient Pre/Pro")

I've been looking hard at buying a DAC/preamp for my main system. I wanted something with a remote, and controls simple enough not to flummox my SO. I was also trying not to spend more than $500. I'd looked at buying a new Emotiva Stealth DC-1, buying a used Peachtree NovaPre, cannabalizing my...
  23. winters860

Recommend a DAC/Pre under $500

Looking for a DAC/Preamp (Chinese OK) that has USB, digital coaxial, digital optical, and at least one analog input. Remote control required. Headphone amp, phono input, and not-ass-ugly looks would be awesome, but are not required. I know that the Jolida Fusion DAC Pre and several...
  24. winters860

Did it again... $13 thrift store system

I've drifted farther and farther from vintage audio in the last few years. New gear is (past the absolute bottom price point) pretty damn good, and offers no anxieties about troublesome pots, aging capacitors, and unobtainium parts. The thrift stores and yard sales that used to reliably turn up...
  25. winters860

Silvertone Bluetooth speaker c. 1959

One of my most gratifying audio experiences of 2015 took place away from my main rig, in the form of a Bluetooth speaker I cobbled together for the bedroom: It started as a Sears Silvertone extension speaker, model 9316-T, from back in the days when stereo was only an optional add-on. Today...
Back
Top Bottom