Search results

1. A

Technics SL-1210 M5G Turntable...Thoughts and opinions on its sonics

I also run the AT150MLX on my 1210 (it was recommended by Kevin at KAB some years ago when J&R was blowing them out for $275 or so) and I agree, it's quite a combination. My 1200 has an AT440MLA on it and it's also an outstanding combination. Highly recommended, either way.
  2. A

Technics SL-1210 M5G Turntable...Thoughts and opinions on its sonics

I own two of the 1200 series tables, the 1200mk2 and the 1210mk2 (same table but in a matte black finish, basically). I love them. I don't believe you can get the build quality, durability, ease of use, accurate speed, etc. from anything anywhere near the used price of a 1200. As others have...
  3. A

Nikko Beta III preamp

Those are nice. I use one as my main preamp and have another as a spare. Yours appears to have the lettering pretty well intact on the face, which seems rare based on the units I see for sale. I plan to recap mine (there aren't too many electrolytics anyway) in the near future.
  4. A

Crown XLI1500 vs XLS1002

A Crown XLS 1002 has replaced my main amp while it's awaiting service work. I like the sound and can handle the aesthetics as long as I turn the display lights off. The one issue I have is a slight hiss from the speakers when no music is on (or very quiet music is on). I have been told that the...
  5. A

What speakers are these?

They look like DLKs to me as well, particularly the routed terminal hole at the back with the metal terminal plate (same as my DLK Modular 1s), although it is odd that they aren't marked. DLK may have made speakers unbranded to be sold white label or similar? I found a couple links with the...
  6. A

Nikko Beta V pre-amp

I will also add that the images from the listing differ from the Beta V brochure photos I've seen on the 'net. The eBay unit looks to be 1U (note it only has 1 rackmount bolt hole per side) which differs from both the promotional photos and every other Nikko Professional Series pre-amp I can...
  7. A

Nikko Beta V pre-amp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NIKKO-Beta-V-Stereo-Pre-amplifier-Tested-Works-/222671525199?hash=item33d841d54f:g:iNUAAOSw5ShZ2kKh Noticed this (sold) listing the other day. I've been watching/collecting Nikko gear for a while now and have never come across this model -- I've also never seen...
  8. A

Hello Gorgeous

I found a 240R locally a few years back and bought it mainly because I liked the way it looked. I received the original owner's manual too, which I was told is hard to find (although arguably not all that useful, unless it included a schematic, I can't recall). It needs repair, I hope to get to...
  9. A

Pioneer PL-L1000 feet/suspension question

Hi all -- I just recently refurbished my PL-L1000 using the replacement rubber suspension boots sold on eBay/Etsy. The quality seems quite good to me, so if the maker is a member here, kudos. Like (I assume) many Pioneer tables with these feet, someone had attempted to use electrical tape to...
  10. A

Your Favorite Solid State Power Amplifier

I agree, and my even mentioning the hiss is because I am fussy and do a fair bit of late-night quiet listening once the family goes to bed. That said, the only thing that changed was the power amp, and the hiss was never there before. I asked an owner of a 1502 about it, and he said he hears no...
  11. A

Your Favorite Solid State Power Amplifier

I am using the 1002 while my main amp is down for repair. The specs are impressive and it sounds quite nice in my system. The only thing is that there is a slightly audible hiss when the music is not playing, but I have been told that the better models such as the 1502 have a lower noise floor...
  12. A

nikko beta II recap

It will be a bit before I have the complete list but I am happy to share. I noticed your signature line listing 2 Alpha VI amps -- I have one myself, but it is in need of service. Have you re-capped either of those units yet? Any pitfalls? Looks a bit packed inside the chassis.
  13. A

nikko beta II recap

I am, yes. I got some Kemet caps that match the values and are within 5mm diameter, so mounting should be relatively straightforward. Nearly fifty bucks for those 4 caps, though!
  14. A

nikko beta II recap

I have also re-capped a Beta II -- nice to see the manual is now available, when I did mine (about 5 years ago), I couldn't find a copy. Easy to work on and it sounds nice (although removing the component glue is time-consuming). I was lucky in that mine has a perfect faceplate, as it seems so...
  15. A

JBL L100 Grill Replacements

Those frames look really nice. Reminds me of when I bought my L100s years ago -- they had some fabric wrapped and stapled over the entire grille (covering the walnut, too). I ended up buying quarter-round trim at the home center and making inserts for the grilles, and wrapped those in speaker...
  16. A

For Once, It Was Easy

I'm nearly finished refurbishing an STA-77 and have also found it pretty easy to work on (as a bonus, the lamps are not held behind a plastic shield as my Marantz was). If you like decent walnut cabinets and classic looks, Realistic is not a bad way to get them on the cheap.
  17. A

Capacitor replacement question

Excellent. Thanks for the advice, all!
  18. A

Thanks for the replies. How about this? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/QYX1H224JTP/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF652zNprbYwMOGvzTH3sc54%3d
  19. A

Yep, exactly -- bright blue while every other cap in the unit was grey. The cap you linked is 250VDC -- is that a problem when the original was only 25V?
  20. A

Hi all -- I am nearly finished re-capping a Realistic STA-77 receiver and have a question about replacing a few small caps on the tuner board. All but 3 caps on the tuner board were easy to identify and replace, but these three look different than the other caps -- they're made by Sanyo and are...
  21. A

KLH speakers - where to find more info or comparison of models

Makes sense -- I was assuming you meant the depth of the strut assembly, but after I think about it I imagine if I were to measure the diameter across 2 epoxy plugs on the baffle (plugs for the struts) I'd come up with 12". Thanks for the information.
  22. A

Thanks for the reply. Is this style of measurement specific to KLH? I am thinking of my old L100 JBLs, which (as I recall) had a 12" diameter woofer that was nowhere near that in depth.
  23. A

Out of curiosity, how is it that the Model Six woofer is listed as 12"? Mine measure barely 10" at the baffle opening (old, non-removable style).
  24. A

ADS-910's

Yes indeed, I just ordered the cards and LEDs (even if the LEDs introduce distortion, I just couldn't help myself -- I can see using the biamp card in the future, however).
  25. A

ADS-910's

I'll see if I can get some photos later today. Sadly, they've been stashed away since purchase -- we're doing some work on the house and the ultimate plan is to use them in the living room, but it will be a bit before it's ready. I have a smaller room I plan to set them up in in the interim...
Back
Top Bottom