Search results

1. Tom B

Strange Output transistor setup on G-7700

I just finished servicing a Sansui G-7700. The G-7700 is rated at 120W RMS oer channel The usualy output transistor setup is 2 NPN's and 2 PNP's per channel (Ususally 2SA1106, and 2SC2581) I have a G-7700 that uses only a single set of outputs per channel but they are 200w transistors rated at...
  2. Tom B

When does a receiver get TOO BIG

I saw a recent discussion about a very high end Sansui G series receiver. Many were commenting on expected value, and how far they would travel to get it. I know there are people out there who want the "Biggest, and Baddest" unit. I was sort of like that for a while, and maybe years ago I would...
  3. Tom B

Hi End output replacements? MJ21193/MJ21194 or MJ21195/MJ21196?

The specs on these high end On Semi TO3 output transistors are very close to the same. They are typically the high end, high current, high voltage complimentary NPN/PNP pairs that many of us use. Question is for the Solid State Repair/Restore Guys and Gals out there Which pair do you prefer to...
  4. Tom B

Thorens TD-165- It has no chassis Ground wire. Ideas??

Hi, I received a Thorens TD-165 for some basic service recently and am a bit stumped as there isn't an individual ground wire coming off this turntable to connect to the receiver/amp chassis as I have always seen on all turntables other than cheap ones with ceramic cartridges. The turntable...
  5. Tom B

Beware of possible SX-1980 Scam

Yesterday, while surfing the "by the Bay" auction site I noticed an auction for a SX-1980. It showed a starting price of $10 had just been listed for a 24 hour sale, and was already up to $53. Reading the text in the ad, it stated that you must send an email to a certain eamil address, and that...
  6. Tom B

7591 Output Tubes in a Fisher 800C

I am working on a Fisher 800C for a friend. The unit was not working at all when I got it, and had signs of previously attempted repairs that were not completed. In fact, it was pretty butchered. I have replaced most of the old Electrolytics, and will finish the last few soon. Replaced on/off...
  7. Tom B

Suggestions for High Gain low noise transistor replacements

I have done a lot of restorations over the past years, Any of us who have done these restorations have come across our share of noisy preamp transistors, and the problem differential pair transistors used in many of the older Japanese 1970 to 1982 units. Transistors such as the 2SA750, 2SA725...
  8. Tom B

Fisher MPX-65 Issues

I have a Fisher 800C I am working on for a friend, and have what appears to be an issue in the MPX-65 unit. I have replaced a few filters, and some other items that needing addressing such as a bad signal strength meter, and some damage to the -19v power supply done by others. So the unit is...
  9. Tom B

Looking for input on QRX-9001 Rebuild from the experts

I recently picked up a QRX-9001 in really nice shape, and working pretty well. Minor issues with dirty switchs and controls, on one of the rear channels drops low due to a bad connection on one of the through the board connections that are always troublesome. Here's where the question comes in...
  10. Tom B

Sansui QRX-6001 "DEMO"

Hello all, I am curious about some markings I found on the bottom panel of a recent Sansui QRX-6001 I picked up as a needing repair unit. Spray painted on the bottom panel in large Bright Letters was some symbol I couldn't read and then the letters DEMO. The reason I am curious is that I just...
  11. Tom B

Sansui QRX-6001 (or 7001, 8001, or 9001) adjustments on the Quad board

Is anyone familiar with the adjustment procedure for setting the 4 adjustment pots on the Quad Board F-2088 board? This is the board used for 4 channel functions like QS, QS synthesizer (Hall, Surround), QS and SQ. There are 4 adjustable pots on the board, that I would like to align, but can't...
  12. Tom B

Sansui G-8000 Power Supply Caps

I serviced a Sansui G8000 a little while ago, and found something very strange. This unit uses dual plus and minus Power supplies, and uses (2) 6800ufd @77v capacitors for each supply. This equates to (8) large filter capacitors in total. I had the unit running, and it seemed OK, but didn't seem...
  13. Tom B

Looking for Adcom GFA 5802 Service manual or Bias settings

I am finishing up a repair on an Adcom GFA 5802, and would lie to set the bias properly. I can seem to locate the service manual anywhere. Only thing you can find is the schematic. This unit uses 16 power Mosfets (all IRF244) per channel, similar to the 16 (8 IRF244, 8 IRF 9240) used on the...
  14. Tom B

Sansui G-8000 Power Supply Filter Issue

I am curious to see if any other "Audio Techs" have run across this in Sansui high end G series units. I took in a G-8000 for repair and cleaning, tuning etc. The customer had just gotten the receiver and while it worked, it was missing knobs, dirty, and all controls and switches were very...
  15. Tom B

Sherwood SEL-200 "Hush Function"

I recently picked up a really sweet Sherwood SEL-200. A number of Caps were Bad-Bad, causing no output on 1 channel and a typical 60 cycle hum on the working channel. Replacing a totally open Output Cap corrected the channel problem, and replacing a 500uf PS capacitor fixed the hum. Tested the...
  16. Tom B

Sony Type RTR running slow after 5 minutes

As a heads up to those who service tape decks, especially Sony Type Reel to Reels. I was working on a TC-230W that I picked up on the cheap, looking for parts to possibly use on a TC-399. Parts were not compatable so I decided to repair the TC-230. Mechanically it needed a lot of cleaning...
  17. Tom B

Roger2 is a Great AK Barter town Seller

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-4500, from Roger2. He described the units condition exactly as he saw it, being very honest about its condition, and what didn't work. The price was very reasonable. As far as shipping, he packed the box extremely well so as to prevent any shipping damage. And he...
  18. Tom B

Sanken S80-W, (S80-W) Power Packs

I am looking to identify what vintage units receivers and Amps used these power packs. They are similar to the STK power packs, but these Sanken power packs had a metal case on them. I believe they were unsed in at least 1 high end Kenwood, and may have been used in others like Akai, Pioneer...
  19. Tom B

Leesonic is a great Seller

I just received a Kenwood KR-6060 from Leesonic and hooked it up. A fantastic unit in great shape, at a great price. Leesonic packed it extremely well and got it to my house in less than 3 days. First time I bought from Bartertown, and the first time from leesonic. Lee is a great person to do...
Back
Top Bottom