Search results

1. ikorman

Alps pot disassembly and repair

It’s not just dirty. It’s got a brush that’s bent.
  2. ikorman

Alps pot disassembly and repair

Hey! Been a while since I posted. I got am amp with an alps volume potentiometer that needs service. The pot, not the amp. :) I could have sworn I have seen a YouTube video that shows disassembly, and I found some but they are for the older metal-cased pots. The one I have is a blue...
  3. ikorman

Looking for First Set of Headphones

I have been really happy with Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, durable and sound great. They aren't super-expensive either.
  4. ikorman

Mojo Restored! OLA New Grill Fabric And Cabinet Refresh

I love that you used some lead for weighing the things down.
  5. ikorman

Conrad-Johnston MV75-A1 recap list

Anyone here done a recap of CJ MV75-A1? I could sit there, trying to obsess about every little component or maybe someone can help out with a list. Thanks in advance!
  6. ikorman

Desktop amp

Looks interesting. I do already have a DAC and these NADs seem expensive.
  7. ikorman

Desktop amp

Hey, folks. I know this has been discussed to death already, but I am still a bit lost on which amp to get for my small desktop speakers. I am currently using a load-of-bread Jamo MPA-101 but it's too large. I would like to try something like a T-Amp, but I hear they can be noisy. The best I...
  8. ikorman

SL 1700 Mkii dilemma

I found the series II to be an ordeal to service. Especially if you don't have the time or knowledge.
  9. ikorman

It's hard to part with my favorite stereo units

Yesterday, I had to sell my favorite HH Scott 222D integrated, just to help cover some bills. I did get decent money for it but still, that unit was rare and hard to beat musically, especially with the awesome Russian 6П14П-ЕВ tubes. For tube gear, I only have a Conrad Johnson PV-10A pre- and...
  10. ikorman

I need a step down transformer for au-d607x

I built a small variAC out of spare electrical supplies just for that purpose. No built-in meter, but that's what the DMM is for.
  11. ikorman

Horrible speaker terminals on HK Citation 22

I no longer have the amp but I recall it was fairly straight-forward.
  12. ikorman

Dynaco ST-70: Triode vs Pentode???

I usually run my ST-70 in triode mode. This is mostly because I don't need too much power, as my speakers are very efficient. The amps sounds clearer to me in triode mode, but it may not be measurable. I say, do the mod, and try it out. That's why it's a switch: you can go back to pentode in...
  13. ikorman

Which to keep - HK A300 or Scott 222D

You guys are great! Now I want to keep both amps, but still can't. I might have to let Craigslist decide: put both amps up for ridiculous money and see which one sells first. :-)
  14. ikorman

Which to keep - HK A300 or Scott 222D

I have to reduce, and I am having trouble on which amp to keep: Harman Kardon A-300 or HH Scott 222D. Both amps are redundant, really... But one must go due to space/money reasons. Harman Kardon is just so cute and I built a custom box for it. It has all original tubes, but will need a set...
  15. ikorman

Dynaco st70 ef86 mod any good?

I did one with Triode and another one with Tubes4HiFi. There is nothing wrong with the Triode board but Tubes4HiFi, even with some bugs from the manufacturer (my version needed a wire jumper because a trace was omitted) is still more convenient and is better to assemble. Besides, 12AU7 tubes...
  16. ikorman

Which tubes to get from Russia?

So, if you had the opportunity to get tubes from Russia, what would they be and why? For example, I own an HH Scott 222D which uses 7189 outputs and I would buy a stash of Russian 6P14P. What's your choice and why?
  17. ikorman

Thiel: Educate Me

I own a pair of CS3.5 and they are really great! In my application, a Luxman L-11 has plenty of guts to run the Thiels at 100 watts per channel, up to ridiculous volumes without distortion of any sort. The clarity is outstanding, too. The active EQ certainly helps as well. This setup with...
  18. ikorman

DCM Timepiece for $25?

Hells yeah.
  19. ikorman

Upgrading CJ PV-10AL to PV-10A

Funny enough, if I can upgrade the unit, I will do the same: pull the tubes out until I need to use the turntable. It's just weird looking at the ugly blank board where components were slated to be installed.
  20. ikorman

Upgrading CJ PV-10AL to PV-10A

Howdy! So now that I bought a Conrad Johnson PV-10AL, and opened it up, I am getting thoughts about installing the phono stage where it belongs. Right now, PV-10AL has a blank board screwed to the top of the main board with all the traces seemingly present, but not a single component. On the...
  21. ikorman

Conrad Johnson PV10AL audible hum

22. ikorman

RCA repairs on Sonographe SC-1 preamp

Computer motherboards have stand-offs. The SC-1 board does not.
  23. ikorman

So, to just dangle the back of the entire board on the RCAs and their solder joints is a bit cheap. It would not kill CJ or cost more than a few bucks to do a couple supports from the back plate. I do love the sound so I am willing to forgive :-)
  24. ikorman

Yep, the thought has crossed my mind, as well as to glue the bad part into place. But that's a duct-tape/bubble-gum fix and I hate to do this on such a fine piece of equipment.
  25. ikorman

So, I would not discount C-J just because of my experience. They DO sell to higher tax-bracket folks and they DO service current stuff. Even with the issue I had, I still love C-J gear. The Sonographe SC-1 is pretty amazing pre-amp and so is my MV-50 tube amp. They are superb pieces.
Back
Top Bottom