Search results

1. mcp1

Quad VA One

I’ve been listening to this for a few days in a bedroom system driving Ryan R610’s and I have to say I’m loving it so far. It’s been a while since I have listened to tubes, but the warmth and sense of space along with such a spooky rendering of voices is very appealing to me. I was a little...
  2. mcp1

Some basic streaming questions

I have been using Sonos for several years and have enjoyed it’s intuitive app. My primary source for Music is Tidal Hifi, with a smattering of Sirius, my own rips, and internet radio. What's bothering me is that Sonos doesn't allow me to take advantage of hi-rez. I was thinking about changing...
  3. mcp1

Rega DAC Frequency indicator

I just bought a used Rega DAC and was wondering why the frequency indicator shows 44.1k - 48k when I stream internet radio and Sirius XM through my Sonos via coax connection. I always thought that these formats streamed at much lower rates...
  4. mcp1

New grills for Rectilinear III lowboys

I was never happy with the lattice grills on my lowboys. So, I bought a kit from parts express and built new grills this weekend. Thought I would share this pic as the project was pretty simple. I really like the way they turned out. This kit would work best on large speakers.
  5. mcp1

A nice pair...

I've been away from the vintage game for a couple of years, but recently converted my upstairs office to a little music room, so I moved my Rectilinear lowboys up there and posted a wanted ad on CL for a integrated amp. I got a response from a fellow who wanted to buy a shotgun for hunting...
  6. mcp1

Fair price for Klipsch KG 4.5's in nice condition?

Oak finish, nice cosmetic condition. What is a fair price?
  7. mcp1

Maranz 1070/1060 pre out/main in board

I just received a 1070 integrated with a couple of loose female RCA inputs on the pre out/main in board. Does anyone know if a 1060 board can be used in it's place?
  8. mcp1

Speakers for a difficult room

I have never been happy with the sound that I get in my family room. It is 12 x 20, but I believe the problem is that the ceiling rises from 7.5 feet to 12 feet. I have run small speakers (Rega RS1s) with a Hsu subwoofer for a while now but music lacks body when played at lower volumes, which is...
  9. mcp1

Polk Monitor series - which one?

Which ones should I be looking for? My room is not huge, but is bass challenged due to the 12' cathedral ceiling. Should I be looking for 5's, 7's, 10's...I've read that the 12's could be muddy, but not sure if that's true. Any suggestions?
  10. mcp1

Polk Monitor 5 (Series 2)

Pair in black ash locally for $125 in good shape. Haven't owned Polks since the early 90's (RTA 15TL). Are these decent speakers? What is the going price for this model? Thanks...
  11. mcp1

First attempt at stacking - Genesis Physics

I was cleaning out the basement this morning and was moving two pairs of unused Genesis 33 speakers when it dawned on me to stack them. I still have to dig out an old HT receiver to drive them, but what do you think? At the very least, I would think it would be good while I'm working down there...
  12. mcp1

Vintage integrated - remote volume?

I've always preferred the sound of 70's, early 80's integrateds to more modern amps. The one thing that always deters me from going back to one of these amps is the lack of remote control ( I know, I've grown soft). Has anyone tried using something like a Creek OBH-10 remote volume control with...
  13. mcp1

Good price for restored Sansui AU D11?

I would like to get a nice vintage restored integrated to drive Rectilinear III lowboys or Genesis 33's. I don't have the ability or time to do a restoration myself. Any comments on this one...
  14. mcp1

Anyone in Cincinnati to p/u & ship speakers?

Been looking for a pair of speakers for quite a while and they just came up on eBay. Only problem, pick up only. This is asking a lot, I know...but thought I would try anyway.
  15. mcp1

Sound Dynamics 120S speakers?

Anyone have any experience with these speakers and, if so, a guess at the value of a refoamed pair in good condition? Pair for sale locally, but seems to me overpriced at $220...
  16. mcp1

Rectilinear III highboys mint condition

Have a bead on a local pair of Highboys in beautiful condition. What say you about max price to pay? I was thinking $150 - $175; am I way off?
  17. mcp1

Human Speakers Model 81

Every once in a while I venture away from vintage speaker in favor of newer speakers. Seems I always end up back with Rectilinears, Genesis or Dynacos, though. I've seen that Huw at Human Speakers offers his take on the EPI 100/Genesis I's with his Model 81. Has anyone ever heard these and...
  18. mcp1

This one made me laugh...

Reading an ad on Agon this morning for an Anthem integrated amplifier... This amp has plenty of power at 225wpc ..can drive any speaker !and sounds amazing ..very dynamic with amazing bass response and Incredable clean hogs and nice warm midrange .. A great sounding tie tapper ..It images...
  19. mcp1

Speakers for small rooms

My system lives in a smallish room...11.5 x 13.5, and I have been enjoying Era D4 speakers with an Arcam A18 integrated. Source is Sonos streaming FLAC files. I really like the ability of the D4's to disappear, but feel that the midrange could be smoother. Looking for suggestions for monitors...
  20. mcp1

Beatles Parlophone Y/B LPs value?

I am going to sell some vintage Beatles UK yellow/black mono Parlophones and wonder if the recent vinyl reissues have devalued their worth. Are they worth $50 a piece in near mint condition or is this too high?
  21. mcp1

Big power in a small room - any advantage?

I recently sold off most of my equipment and moved my system into a 13 x 10 room. I am really enjoying scaling back, having owned many large, floorstanding speakers in recent years. I sit much closer to the speakers now and don't listen at loud volumes. I rotate PSB B6 and B&W DM601 S3 speakers...
  22. mcp1

Will Qobuz be a game changer?

As timing would have it, while I was ripping my CD collection to a NAS over the weekend, I read a write up in Stereophile about Qobuz. I started thinking "am I wasting my time?" If it was available to me today, I'd probably sign up with Qobuz. I think I could live happily with streaming music...
  23. mcp1

KEF Reference Two internal woofers

I have a pair of Reference Twos and would like to check the foam surrounds on the internal woofers. How do I go about doing this? Removed the bottom plastic plinth and it looks to be sealed on the bottom. Removed the crossover plate and I still can't see anything. Anyone have any experience with...
  24. mcp1

Speaker break in - 15 years later?

I recently got a nice deal on a pair of speakers I coveted years ago, but couldn't afford - Kef Reference Two's. In my room, which admittedly sucks up bass due to the 12' cathedral ceiling, they seem a little thin in the bass. The original owner told me that he used them from day 1 for home...
  25. mcp1

Kef Reference Two - fair price?

I've been offered a pair in black ash for $425. I think these are from the '90's and were pretty well thought of back then. Is this a fair price?
Back
Top Bottom