Search results

1. F

Got my first R2R machine - surprisingly good sound and not much of maintenance was needed.

Yes, I got MRL tape for 15ips, with 355nWb IEC. Calibrated to that. Now I need to make myself spend another $200 for 7.5ips tape, with 250nWb NAB to be able properly play commercial tapes. This machine has separate adjustments for various speeds and formats.
  2. F

Stereo Cabinet for Reel to Reel

Considering the size, R2R machine is better to be put on TOP of the cabinet, just like TT. You may have a dedicated cabinet to store tapes inside and have R2R machine on top. That way you can place all these to the side and not to block TV view.
  3. F

Choosing a deck: stick with the plan or take the opportunity?

Otari are among the cheapest ones. Only two rubber covered rollers, both are available as new production. No belts in most models.
  4. F

Choosing a deck: stick with the plan or take the opportunity?

when looking at machines this old you need to pay more attention to: 1) Design for reliability: find machine with minimum rubber components (and no belts please!). Do not even look at machine which has less than 3 motors. 2) Condition of is heads. If heads are in bad shape, it will cost you a...
  5. F

Output Amplifier 1.177.880 in a Revox PR99 MK3

Mouser and DigiKey are your friends. If you do not know these sources, I do not recommend to do any work at component level.
  6. F

Got my first R2R machine - surprisingly good sound and not much of maintenance was needed.

I am too lazy to get off the sofa to press "play" or "rewind" buttons on Otari. Thus came a weekend project to add a remote control to that machine. I used old WDTV remote I had on hands, and Arduino controller. It was surprisingly easy - no additional components other than IR receiver and only...
  7. F

They never marketed their machines to consumers. But Otari was one of main players in broadcast business. See here: https://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/ManufacturersOtari.html
  8. F

Capacitor Replacements on Decks?

You will need a calibration tape for initial adjustment. I know they are still made for R2R, but not sure anyone makes new for cassettes. You besh chance is to find old calibration cassette somewhere. And use it for playback calibration, which is done first. Recording calibration is done second...
  9. F

Here it is. Need to work on cable routing though.
  10. F

After few members of local audiophile club got R2R tape machines, I decided to get one too - to get a sense of how good analog recording can be. I never had R2R recorder in the past and still remember how cassette tape recorders sucked in sound quality. I got Otari MX5050BIII-2, the latest...
  11. F

Record stores selling USED records... What should we expect?

Wherever I used to live and do live now record stores sell MOSTLY used records. Like 1:10 between new and used. They do not clean records before putting them in the bin for sale., but customers are free to inspect the record before buying. I did found some severely scratched and obviously passed...
  12. F

JICO sticker shock

When you replace stylus in MM cartridge, you essentially get a new cartridge. Stylus cost is usually around 80% of the complete cartridge cost. Other than stylus there is nothing else that wears in it.
  13. F

MC question

Resistance, capacitance, crosstalk, magnetic and electrical shielding, piezoelectric effects.
  14. F

Measuring output voltage after SUT

Multimeter is too insensitive for that job. Benchtop 6 digit voltmeters which you need for this task are expensive devices.
  15. F

MC question

Fixed magnet can have much higher flux density around coils than moving magnet. Even high output MC cartridge has the order of magnitude lower inductance than MM cartridge. The high inductance makes cartridge sensitive to quality of wires within tonearm and between TT and phono preamplifier...
  16. F

Tube Amp Delayed High Voltage

Absolutely agree with this recommendation. This is the safest thing to do. Digikey has Cornell Dubilier 22uF 500V for $4 a piece.
  17. F

Wall voltage running high

+5% is usually allowed. It means up to 126 volts should be considered acceptable.
  18. F

Crooked cantilever on brand new stylus

This is a common problem with modern cartridges. Often MC carts worth several thousand dollars come like this. Do not accept any excuses - send it back for refund.
  19. F

807/5B-255m Push pull schematic/design

You can squeeze 50-60W from a pair o f807, but need to run them in class B.
  20. F

807/5B-255m Push pull schematic/design

If you look at datasheet http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/5b-254m.pdf - this tube is designed mostly for AB2 service. That is where it produces rated power. I do not think AB1 or A1 modes will deliver more than 10-15 watts in push-pull config.
  21. F

Putting a modern turntable into a mono tube console, what do I need to know?

Looking at pictures I would say that you need to tell lady the truth: her console cannot be repaired. If she likes the style of "console", then she better buy one in good to great condition and then you can go through and make it work like new for her. It will probably cost less than attempt to...
  22. F

10KHz square wave question

I think you have a problem here (see below): both bottom of R94 and bottom of 39K resistor should go to the ground.
  23. F

DL103. Worth saving?

Probably not. New DL-103 is sold for $350, could be a bit less if you find a deal. Repair will cost at least half of that, but never will be as good as original. This is not $3000 worth exotic cartridge - just get a brand new one as a replacement.
  24. F

LEDs for cathode bias on small signal tubes?

In this circuit LED may not be the best. You need current at least 10mA for LED to work properly.
  25. F

LEDs for cathode bias on small signal tubes?

Not at all. Dynamic impedance of LED is very low - much lower than resistor needed to produce similar bias. That is why it is similar to fixed bias applied to the grid with cathode directly grounded.
Back
Top Bottom