Search results

1. J

Can I test a 300B w/ a EMC 206?

Hi! Recently acquired a EIC Model 206 from an estate. It had a 4-pin socket and the roll mentions a 2A3 setup. I have a pair of WE 300B’s of unknown condition. Would love to at least see if they’re any good. Is this possible w/ my new tester? thanks!
  2. J

Bay Area Help Testing 300B's

Great! You around this weekend, per chance?
  3. J

That's great to know! I'm in the city, too. If I don't find assistance before then, I'll certainly be in touch. Thanks!
  4. J

Hi! I have a pair of WE 300B tubes that I need to test. My tester (and those I have access to) doesn't have a 4-pin slot for such things. Is there anyone in the California Bay Area that might help me out? Preferably a Mutual Conductance tester? Any ideas where to look? THANK YOU.
  5. J

Brook 10C & 4B preamp

Off to my local electronics shop w/ a tube tester. Fingers crossed the 300Bs are in good shape!
  6. J

Brook 10C & 4B preamp

And here’s the preamp!
  7. J

Brook 10C & 4B preamp

Not with it at the moment, so can’t take sexier pix, but here it is in all its storage locker glory. I’ve since done a basic clean up. It was sludgy w/ cig residue. I promise to take many more pix when I’m back in its presence! E0368CEC-56DC-4212-9ABA-4FC91CBE10E4 by jhebass posted Nov 14...
  8. E0368CEC-56DC-4212-9ABA-4FC91CBE10E4

E0368CEC-56DC-4212-9ABA-4FC91CBE10E4

9. J

Brook 10C & 4B preamp

After years of reading of other peoples' insane garage/estate sale bargains w/ envy, it finally happened to me. For $10 I am now the owner of a Brook 10C w/ the accompanying 4B preamp ... not to mention a car-load of other tube/hifi gear. The Brook has all the tubes, including Western Electric...
  10. J

Vintage German Tube PA (Echolette M40) Conversion and Problem

HI! I'm working on converting an Echolette M40 for primary use as a relatively low-volume amp for recording use. Already tried to voice the first gain stage some for bass-appropriate frequency response, and that's sort of coming along. Yet, I have a very disturbing conundrum and the somewhat...
  11. J

Sansui 1000A preamp plate voltages WAY too high

Ok. I'm going nuts. I've tried this every which way, and still can't get the plate voltages down to a remotely appropriate level. Can someone take a hi-res detailed pic of the multi-section 20-20-20 cap next to the big filter caps. I'm going insane. If that pic was labeled to indicate where...
  12. J

Mark T., I think you're right. I'm going to check again that the big power resistors are hooked up appropriately. In changing out he three cans, the probabibility seems high that the culprit is there. I'll report back. Haven't biased properly yet, but am getting appropriate negative DC on the grids
  13. J

Hey All, In the midst of restoring a 1000A and I'm getting ludicrously high readings on the plates of every tube but the 7591s. Something in the 400V range. Feel like the full B+ is being applied somehow w/o any of the dropping resistors. Having a hard time grokking the power supply routing...
  14. J

Just got a scope and signal generator

Thanks to my generous scientist father, I am now the owner of a Tektronix 5111A 'scope and Wavetek signal generator. Both seem to function fine. I've got a Fisher 400 with an intermittent crackling that I cannot diagnose. I changed out many of the carbon comp resistors in the power section...
  15. J

Substiuting 7591 for 7355

I'd like to substitute the 7355s in my HK TA5000X w/ some 7591s I've got lying around...I understand it's a relatively easy swap. Could someone explain? Or is there a link to an explanation? Thanks!
  16. J

Help w/ 7355 tube...stupid question...

Thanks for the help. Preamp tubes are lit, and functional. Voltages/Current are as follows: Cathode Voltage: 30V Screen Grid Current: 72mA Plate Voltage: approx. 360V Control Grid Voltage: .5V (w/ 350 ohm Cathode resistor...approx. 5V w/ 220 ohm resistor) That means 4.5 Watts/tube...
  17. J

I'm measuring cathode current with a Bias King bias tester. After further checking, there's a 220Ohm resistor coming off the bias-supply filter, but the schematic says it ought to be 330Ohm. Rigged up a few 10-watt resistors in series for a 350Ohm...reduced the grid voltage to nearly 0V...
  18. J

So, the 7355 power tubes in my HK TA5000X measure about +5V on the grid (pin 6) and -2mA of cathode current. What's wrong here? Shouldn't it be like -25ishV on the Grid and 100mA of bias? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks you!
  19. J

Help with H/K TA5000X Rehab

I'd like to further refine the problems: Loud hum in Tape position. Same hum in Phono position, just slightly attenuated...crackly noisiness. Aux is dead quiet, except for a very high-pitched sound with volume all the way up. I've replaced all the caps in the preamp stage, except for a...
  20. J

Help with H/K TA5000X Rehab

I'm new to tube audio, so bear with me. Have a decent-condition 5000X. Generall functional, but for the following problems: Hum on Tape channel that feedsback at any appreciable volume Noisy (intermittant hiss and crackling) phono stage Strange in-and-out sort've phasing kind've thing in...
  21. J

Using Sansui 1000A as power amp

Thanks Thanks. While I know enough not to kill myself (discharging filter caps, etc.), I'm just beginning to learn how to translate an intention into action. Thanks for the tip.
  22. J

Using Sansui 1000A as power amp

I'm interested in bypassing the Sansui input section and using its power amp in combination with an AR Sp-6. Could someone advise as the feasibility of this plan? What's involved?
  23. J

Bypass preamp in 1000A

Hi...I'm interested in using my 1000A as a power amp, and using my AR SP-6 as a pre. Could someone give me some guidance as to the feasibility of this plan?
Back
Top Bottom