Search results

1. D

Ultra Sonic cleaner

Hey, I just got the cleanervinyl Max kit for ultrasonic cleaning. This kit allows you to clean up to 24 records at a time. However, I bought the "spacers" and will do 6 at a time. Well made and an economical way to get into ultra sonic cleaning. Check it out at cleanervinyl.com dmgrant1
  2. D

What tape to buy?

Hello, Getting back into R2R after a 30 years absence. Bought a Technics 1500us. My old deck from the 60's did not have "bias" or "eq" settings and it seems like I just bought Scotch, Ampex, Sony or some off brand back in the day. Anyway this machine has 3 settings for bias/eq. The...
  3. D

Phillips 887 cue lever

Hello, I am fixing up an Phillips 887 for my 24 year old daughter, who wants a turntable. It's in pretty good shape. The cue lever works, but squeaks when used. Should I just try to use some sewing machine oil on it? No manual on hand. Looked at the vinylengine. They have the service...
  4. D

spacers?

Hello, Old newbie here. Have a r2r en route. Looking at the manual it talks about "spacers" to use if the reel size is not right. This deck is not coming with spacers. The deck handles 10" and 7" reels. Do I need these spacers for the larger or smaller reel? I am confused so please...
  5. D

Wonder how it sounds?

A friend emailed my the attached picture, so I thought I would post it. A Technics SL-1200? link= http://www.dudecraft.com/2010/07/wiggy-wiggywhat.html
  6. D

Need power supply for Thorens TD320

Don't have it yet, but it's coming without the power supply. Needs 16VAC - 150 mA. Any ideas on where to track this down? Thanks
  7. D

Thorens 166MKII - redo

Okay, Finally got it done. This was a "hand me" down from my bro, who just does digital. --Outer rim of platter was wet sanded, polished and buffed. It was pitted and oxidized before. -- Bearing was not bad. Cleaned out the well and used some polish in it and added new oil. Spin time...
  8. D

usb microscope for stylus

OK, I thought I might pick up one of these on the auction site since they are cheap. Don't know anything about them. Want to use to inspect my styli to see if they are worn. I think looking at it on a computer screen would be easier. My question is what magnification is necessary for...
  9. D

Source of cartridge noise?

I have an Adcom HOMC that is noisy between cuts on a record. At first I thought it was just surface noise on the record. But I have 2 turntables into the system and there is no noise between the same cuts on the other table using a different cartridge.. I then thought it might be bearing...
  10. D

Thorens 166MKII- new plinth

OK, I got a new plinth and plan on installing it this week end. Looks like just 4 screws on top in the corners to remove. However, they are covered with what appears to be black protective covers. Any tips on how to remove the covers without messing them up? Thanks.
  11. D

rubber stoppers for reels

Anyone know where I can get the rubber stoppers to hold on the reels. Picked up a Teac 1250A at at garage sale, but its missing a stopper and the other one does not hold down the reel. Thanks.
  12. D

Isoblocks

Mapleshade sells the isoblocks. I recall there is another, cheaper source. Anyone know who else sells these?
  13. D

Powder Coating aluminum plinth

OK Gents, I am redoing the electronics on a DD unit. The aluminum finish is a little dinged up, so I decided just to get it refinished. I thought about getting an auto body guy to just repaint it for me. My techie suggested getting it powder coated. What do you guys think? Thanks
  14. D

"Run-out" - educate me

I've seen the term "run-out" used in reference to turntables, but don't know what it means. Could one of the gurus educate me? Thanks
  15. D

Thorens 166MKII - replacing base

OK, I have read some of the threads on mods to the Thorens. Seems like most advise replacing the flimsy bottom cover with Baltic Birch plywood. Two questions, First, why Baltic Birch - it's more expensive. Second, What size? 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch? Thanks
  16. D

Technics SL-QL1 issue

Hello, Just picked this up today off CL. Seller said it doesn't spin but powers up and he is right. Got it on the cheap since it doesn't spin. The unit powers on. When you press the start switch, the only thing that happens is the light on the "repeat" switch starts blinking. The...
  17. D

Thorens 166MKII

OK, My brother gave me this model. He says he has never done anything to it. Belt looks ok and it plays fine. Since it is over 20 years old, does it need an "oil change?" If so can anyone explain how to do it? I have never done it before and don't know how to take this table apart...
  18. D

Indeed or Bravo?

Hello, Does anybody know anything about these chinese headphone amps on ebay? One by Bravo and one by Indeed. Both are tube amps and are about $60 - $70.00 plus shipping. Thought I might try one out but wanted to see if anyone knows anything about them. Thanks Dan Grant
  19. D

mcs 6502

I see a lot of MCS tables on ebay. I hear they were made by Technics for JC Penney? Are they any good? Anyone have experience with the 6502? Looks like veneer wood finish or maybe plastic. Thinking about getting one for another system since they are so cheap, but wanted to hear what you...
  20. D

one channel louder-

OK, This is a headphone listening setup. Set up: Thorens 166 MKII Grado Blue with brand new stylus. Audio Technica phono preamp Musical Fidelity V-Can headphone amp Audio Technica ADH- AD700 headphones One channel is slightly louder and I don't know how to diagnose the problem...
  21. D

Grado Black Stylus replacement

Opinions solicited. Should I just get the standard stylus replacement for the Black Grado or try one of the other Grado styli? Don't know if an upgraded stylus will make a difference on this cartridge or not. It's not my main turntable and is used in a second system. Thanks, Dan
  22. D

What RTR to buy?

OK, New to this forum. Have a broken AKAI. Want to get a good RTR to listen to the old tapes I have from the 60's and 70's. I didn't really know much about the machines back in the day either. So let everyone voice their opinion on a good machine to but! I seem to recall hearing...
  23. D

Thorens TD166 MKII cartridge spacers

Hello, My brother gave me this turntable. Need to use spacers to try different height cartridges, as indicated in the manual. Apparently the turntable came with these little items. They are 1mm to 3 mm in size. I have been looking around and can't find a source for these. Any ideas...
Back
Top Bottom