Search results

1. D

Review: Ascend Acoustics’ ELX Tower Speakers

And then there is Ascend, not waiting to ride out periodic economic tornado storms - knowing few dealers are still there, and gone every other year. Ascend using direct referrals from happy customers (who like the sound with referrals like this) with no added 30-40% markup (which we can all...
  2. D

EL34 vs. KT120

Learned a good lesson this year with the KT120s. Be patient, let them play and settle in for a while, up to ~200hrs. It makes a difference. They do change and sound nice once they've played for a while. Etch disappears, midrange comes forward, sound stage opens up. Nice.
  3. D

One KT-120 Runs Hotter

@oldflame curious to know why only 35ma per tube on a KT120? My mono amps run KT120s and the designer confirmed a low of 40 and high of 60ma. I've tried them in this range, settled on 45-50ma for the past year. Others reportedly running higher at ~70ma on different amps, and the tubes don't...
  4. D

EL34 vs. KT120

Doing a quick re-check on current amp sellers, appears various are still using KT120s as standard or optional interestingly enough. The tube has not been completely overtaken by KT150 or KT170 it seems. I do prefer the 120 over my 150s in some ways, and my amps were specifically designed to run...
  5. D

EL34 vs. KT120

Finding out KT120s (that I overlooked in the past the first try) DO settle in and become a bit more musical and a tad more laid back on the top end after you get past a few hundred hours. Not as forward midrangey as EL34s can be, yet maybe having a deeper soundstage and a bit more clarity in my...
  6. D

EL34 vs. KT120

@kward gotta question for ya. Was that amp you designed and built in a regular push-pull -or- parallel single ended type configuration? If not, have you ever experimented with KT120s in a PSE/Triode type of configuration and how did it sound? I ran this by my own amp designer and he was not...
  7. D

EL34 vs. KT120

Resurrecting a 9 yr old thread that is still relevant. Fast forward from 2013 to 2022. Reading through this and @kward updates from years ago here, I too was a huge EL34 fan myself for many years (still am), recently jumped to KT150s for a while in 2021, nice, yet too pure some times, and now...
  8. D

New (Tube) Kids On The Block! PSVANE 6SN7-BE/SE

9 months later...did anyone try 'em?
  9. D

First Watt F8 incoming

@6.5CM how's the F8 coming along after a month of time and more burn-in? Have you re-run the frequency tests, what has changed if anything?
  10. D

Could You Tell a Tube Integrated from a Solid State Receiver (in a Video) If All Else Were Equal?

While its extremely limited to compare actual sound, tone, stage through youtube videos like this, just for grins I listened to both through different playback systems, including a larger home theater system attempting to hear something different between videos "1" vs. "A". The recording itself...
  11. D

Tung-sol 6sn7gtb USA Vintage vs New Russian Interesting Comparo

@Lavane Thanks for the update. Yesterday I removed my regular-play boutique tubes and replaced all with the spare new/reissue Tung-Sol sets. A quad of 6SN7 TS 6SN7GTB in the Cary SLP-98 preamplifier and then Tung-Sol 12AU7 and 12AT7 in the Quicksilver Mono 120 tube amps, which have KT150...
  12. D

Tung-sol 6sn7gtb USA Vintage vs New Russian Interesting Comparo

Anyone here revisited the new/reissue TungSol 6SN7 or 12AU7, 12AT7 again lately past few years? Did they improve (at all) with long burn-in cycles past 200hrs, maybe? To help save my boutique and vintage tubes a bit, give them a rest, thinking about putting all new TS re-issue back in the 6SN7...
  13. D

Custom built ESS AMT Heil based speaker thread

@bimasta yes, it can work and I have heard them and own a pair of the 40s, not the 60s. I suspect results could vary with your drivers and x-overs. As an experiment, is there any way to flip your bottom cabinet upside down to spread the mid & woofer apart. While you may get some floor...
  14. D

If it helps to have references with others, after experimenting a bit with the Heil height a bit up/down +/- a few inches over the years, at this time the absolute CENTER of my Heil is sitting right at 35.5" with zero tilt. It's fun to try different levels. In the opposite direction also try...
  15. D

During development and testing of the first version of the Martin Logan 60XT, as I recall the design engineers concluded spacing the woofers away from the midrange and AMT for improved imaging. In this example the woofers are raised off the floor some, and centered in the lower half of the...
  16. D

Leben, Nice! Reminds me a bit of the original AMT1 speakers with tall narrow cabinet, amt on top. Gotta question for ya about the "low end". By chance did you or someone who designed the cabinet happen to make them into a transmission line or bass reflex type enclosure? -something like this...
  17. D

Checking back a year and half later and saw this post, fun little project and some good ideas. One thought is the x-over point in the factory AMT Monitors was 800hz and to balance out the output of the Great AMT Heil, you'd need the rest of the big cabinet and the added passive radiator to keep...
  18. D

Quicksilver Linestage: What Tubes? Who Cares

The QS Linestage and the amps benefit from better input/driver tubes. The stock EI were kinda grainy in my mono amps, swapped them out early. Several buddies changed theirs to vintage NOS too with a notable improvement in both their preamps and amps too. [edit] I forgot to mention one friend...
  19. D

Happy Birthday Duane!

Hi All, just saw this a month late and thanks so much. Happy Birthday to all of you when that day comes again. :)
  20. D

Took home some Cary monoblocs:

Okay, makes sense. I knew the former designer there who's since left and gone on to build microphones and such for the pro industry. He recommended the same Mundorf Supreme EVO SG caps to me and I used them in my Cary V12R. The were still improving at 200-300hrs. Amazing lower level detail as...
  21. D

Took home some Cary monoblocs:

Hey Glenn, for my own comparison purposes on my former Cary amps - which Mundorf coupling caps are installed (model/type) and did it take over 200 or 300hrs to start hearing notable changes?
  22. D

Tube preamp odd issue...

s-peterson, Exactly, same kind of train of thought. I was merely making it easy for him by asking him 1) to first switch to a non-used input at turn on of the preamp, retest. 2) next step he could unconnect all input cables from the preamp, retest. 3) 3rd to your point to disconnect the...
  23. D

Tube preamp odd issue...

Try this next, switch the input selector to something you are not using. Try the same sequence. After it's all powered up, lastly switch input selector to the desired device, Aux, CD, etc. See if this helps to avoid the same condition. btw, I noticed in your signature, you are using a B&K...
  24. D

Tube preamp odd issue...

In a reverse type of test, what happens in the "under 30 seconds" scenario if you turn the amp on early (at 10 seconds after the preamp is turned on) and (while the preamp is still in auto-mute mode)? And, for yet another test try the same again then ensuring the volume is all the way down on...
  25. D

Looking to get into SET amps—recommendations?

Speaker matching can be tricky some times. Lesson's learned. Not all mid to high efficiency speakers will sound great with any lower (under 10w) watt SET tube amps. As long as one goes into it with an open mind, the only way to know first hand is to try it. However, noting several looking at...
Back
Top Bottom