Search results

1. AlexanderEli

Linn LP12 Lingo power supply still completely dead after recap - help!

In my search I have made a discovery! Tonight I finally emptied the bearing oil and flipped the deck over. The insulation on the leads to the motor have melted! See the photos for detail. I had looked underneath the deck and felt around with the bottom cover removed before I recapped the...
  2. AlexanderEli

This Should Be Interesting. An Uncommon Cartridge

They have hollow boron tubes sadly - unreplaceable I know. I seem to remember Groovetickler saying they have some kind of hardening process as well Sorry that question took me a year to answer
  3. AlexanderEli

Thank you! I will check these tonight and report back. Regarding solder, yes, I used a mix of sucker and wick, and a low heat Weller iron. Not extra skilled but have done this many times on smaller boards with no issues but always a first time for everything so who knows :) Will check tonight...
  4. AlexanderEli

No! I'm measuring AC and seeing hardly any voltage at all. I'm not particularly good at reading schematics - where would you suggest I measure the transformer and bridge rectifier voltages?
  5. AlexanderEli

I just did the work on a wooden workbench, no static build up in the air that I know of - but the problems before and after recap are identical, I was still not able to power on the tt before I did the work
  6. AlexanderEli

When I power on the Lingo, I see various voltages genrrally ranging from 0.045 to 0.055 but if I understand it right, to see the 90v and 60v the supply needs to under load. To do that the turntable needs to be powered on as well right? But that isn't happening when I push the switch on the...
  7. AlexanderEli

Hi everyone - I have been trying to service a Linn Lingo by performing a typical recap, and have had no luck whatsoever. Here are the symptoms: - Lingo power supply LED lights up (did so before and after recap) - turntable is totally lifeless: no LED on the turntable switch lights up. This...
  8. AlexanderEli

Micro Seiki RY-1500 feet?

I wonder if the feet are the same as the feet in a BL-10X. If you post measurements here I can tell you - they look similar in pictures and Micro was known to share parts across their product lines
  9. AlexanderEli

Vintage LOMC vs new

This is an interesting claim - I don't know if this is just subjective opinion or if there is hard evidence to back it up, but we certainly should be wary of the assumption that whatever we are doing today is better than what we used to do. Curious for some research to back up these ideas though.
  10. AlexanderEli

Vintage LOMC vs new

I think this message wins the thread. Totally true. Like luxury watches are prized for having "in-house movements" vs outsourced, there are very few companies in cartridge production that are doing everything themselves, or at least dictating custom specifications for the manufacturing work they...
  11. AlexanderEli

Vintage LOMC vs new

I'd be curious to hear what people think as well. I've been collecting vintage cartridges only because I can afford them, the prices of the new ones have really taken off in the last 5 years to extreme levels, and I really wonder how much better they are. Back in the day, vinyl was mainstream...
  12. AlexanderEli

This Should Be Interesting. An Uncommon Cartridge

I have an all-original Shinon Red Boron and I think it is my favorite cartridge right now in my collection. In my opinion it is really romantic but in the best ways. I am not sure I'd call this the most timbrally accurate cart, but the sound it produces is so involving and fun that I can't stop...
  13. AlexanderEli

120v vs. 220v model Micro Seiki Turntable - What Is Different Between Them?

Here are the images of the electronics - I don't see any voltage selector switches!
  14. AlexanderEli

Ah ok - in this case we are talking about a Micro Seiki BL-91 belt driven turntable. This model does have the speed fine tuning potentiometer. I'm mainly curious if I can pull the motor from the europlug 220v model and and drop it into the other as a potential spare!
  15. AlexanderEli

Long story short - I have a 120v Micro Seiki with a standard American plug that I'm trying to restore. I just acquired a parts unit that has a europlug and is rated for 220v. How much of the internals are different? Is it just the power supply? The entire electronic assembly? The transformer...
  16. AlexanderEli

What would cause wow on a Micro Seiki BL-91?

I've been restoring a Micro Seiki BL-91 I had acquired a few weeks ago - this thing is heavy and will hopefully be beautiful soon. Recently got a new belt, and I'm seeing a ton of wow on my speed RPMs. The options that could cause this that I can think of are: 1. The cheap belt I bought is junk...
  17. AlexanderEli

Kenwood KD- 500 -- inexpensive tonearm suggestions?

Reading through this old thread for the first time - there are a couple of other great cheap options for a quality tonearm that nobody has mentioned yet - I imagine OP has already purchased an arm, but posting here for others: 1. Buy a KD-550, pull the tonearm & armboard, flip the base: With a...
  18. AlexanderEli

Sony SS-TL5. Hot DAMN these are good!

I used to own a pair of SS-TL5s as well, very fun speakers. My first pair of speakers were SS-TL3s, I sold both pairs a few years ago when I no longer had the space to support the large speakers. I still have the original flyer and manual laying around here somewhere. Personally I always found...
  19. AlexanderEli

Marantz 2500...$3k in SoCal

It could be something like Jerobeam Fenderson's music, he makes music that also makes images on oscilloscopes. There are some cool videos on YouTube about it. Such an odd hobby but it is weirdly fascinating if you have 10 minutes.
  20. AlexanderEli

Reasonably priced ultrasonic cleaner - iSonic Inc

I read Mr. Pig's thread about the DIY setup - I'm tempted by that as well. But I like the all-in-one solution, so that's why I thought I would ask about the setup I saw from my OP - I'm guessing nobody has taken the plunge with that company..
  21. AlexanderEli

Reasonably priced ultrasonic cleaner - iSonic Inc

I was browsing Amazon and came across this decent-looking all in one ultrasonic cleaner. I know there are super expensive audiophile versions, and recently some companies have begun offering attachments for adding to pre-made ultrasonic reservoirs, but it was the first I had seen of this...
  22. AlexanderEli

Nitty Gritty Pure 2 Users: What is your Plan?

I've been interested in trying some of the Mobile Fidelity cleaners, although I have not done any reading on it yet.
  23. AlexanderEli

New owner of a Phase Linear 5100 Series 2 - ferrite bar antenna missing

Yes, there is just a bundle of wires sticking out that look like they were ripped off of the antenna that was there.
  24. AlexanderEli

OK, thanks both for the answers! That is good to know, it is unlikely that i would ever listen to AM so maybe I should just let it be..
  25. AlexanderEli

Hi all, As the post says - new owner of this gadget. I like FM radio and I live where several good stations are nearby. If the ferrite bar is missing, can I just replace it with the ferrite bar from any other tuner? I noticed lots of these are being sold on eBay but none for my specific unit...
Back
Top Bottom