Search results

1. DrTim

Wood cover for Pioneer SX-737

Just measured SX 636 vs 737. Not interchangeable. I also have both 838 & 939 and know the covers won't fit an SX 737.
  2. DrTim

Merlynski has passed beyond the veil ...

My heart sank a little when I read the sad news. Never had a direct conversation with him but always read his posts when I would come across them. He will be missed.
  3. DrTim

SX-838 Power Supply problem, help requested

Update: Problem solved. Scrapped the trace to copper, flux & tin trace, cut leads off an old T0-220 transistor, cleaned the leads, tinned the leads and soldered across the breaks. Easy enough. Under full power, the protection clicks in 3 seconds. Voltage on this and the other boards are...
  4. DrTim

Pl-530 mechanism issues

Go to the Vinyl Engine website for the service manual. You need to create an account which is simply making up a username and password. Its free and has a wealth of information. After signing in, click on the Library tab and find the Pioneer link. Scroll to the PL530, In there you will find...
  5. DrTim

That did it. I temporary jumped across the breaks and it comes out of protection with the dim bulb but not when on full power. I was able to get sound out of both channels listening to FM with the right channel being a little weaker. Most of the readings are within tolerance but I will worry...
  6. DrTim

Damn, the wife was right all along. I really do need glasses. I'm glad you spotted this. Explains a lot of what is going on with the voltages or lack of. I'll do some bridging and report back. Thank you Mark for sharing you time and insight, or should I say eyesight. Much appreciated.
  7. DrTim

Power supply AWR-055-A Reading as on this morning. Pin 4 44v 42v 5 -44v -42v 7 -45v -46v 8&9 -13v -13v 10 22v -1.4v 11 -1.3v 12 32v 1.3v 13 35.5v 1.4v 14 13v 0v 17 51v 52V 21 8.5v 7v 22 7.5acV 7.7acV 24 -5.5acV -6acV The things I have done to...
  8. DrTim

Thanks Mark and rcs16 for taking the time to help me out. Having your direction makes me more confident in what I need to do. The next 4 days are heavy with work and I won't have time to devote to this project till Friday at the earliest. I will update this weekend. Off the dbt now. The...
  9. DrTim

Reaching out to anyone that can help me wrap my head around my problem with the power supply. Picked up a cosmetically nice but moderately dirty SX 838 made in March of 1974. Powers up and lights work but it will not come out of protection. Fuses good. After reading the voltage at the Power...
  10. DrTim

Signet by Audio-Technica TK7E - any good replacement styluses?

I sat down this morning and did a listening session to compare the different stylus that I have and some are mentioned in this thread. I was surprised to see the date of my post from 2019 and realizing how little use the TK7e has gotten over the last three years. The low use was not due to a...
  11. DrTim

Garage Door Repair

I have replaced overhead door springs twice. Would never do it again. A service call is cheaper and less painful than medical bills. I would also suggest to stop using the automatic opener to help operating a broken spring door. The opener gears will fail quickly with a heavy load.
  12. DrTim

Pioneer SX-737 Help needed: No lights, dark as hell ...Protection Circuit bypassed

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info and pointers there that I need to read over. I would blame my bad post on day drinking but its not after 5 pm here.
  13. DrTim

Pioneer SX-737 Help needed: No lights, dark as hell ...Protection Circuit bypassed

Thank you for the clarification. I assumed that the wires that are capped as seen in Post 7 were leading from the filter cap area and would be part of the bypass. Again, I shouldn't be posting without checking the schematic. or tracing the wires in my 737. A serious mistake on my part.
  14. DrTim

EDIT: pa-200 beat me to it. Good info. I may have created confusion about the wires leading to the speaker switch board as pointed out by pa-200. I defer to his post and knowledge. my original post, From the you pictures you posted, it looks like the two wires (brown /white) coming from the...
  15. DrTim

Pioneer SX-1250 Top Grill painting or powdercoating black vs. original

I thought about going black on the grill but then my heat sinks might look ragged in comparison. I settled for a color close to the original. Took the grill to a professional powder coating shop. I was rebuilding the SX-1250 and didn't want to go cheap. Turns out that the 20 dollars the...
  16. DrTim

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Feb 11, 2012
  17. DrTim

Anyone tried Darlington Labs preamp ?

The sticker label thing put me off also. I even considered removing the stickers and having a clean front. There is talk of having a trade in or send back of the face plate when Darlington gets around to silk screening. Talk is cheap. Funny thing is, once the MM-5 was placed in the rack and...
  18. DrTim

Anyone tried Darlington Labs preamp ?

I have the MM-5. Had it for about a week and I'm still playing around with it. I have about 10 hours of actual listening time. My first album side was not a disappointment, but more of a let down. I was using a Shure 95ed cart with a Jico stylus that had about 3 hours on it. I should have...
  19. DrTim

Howdy From Winter Park (FL, not CO)

Greetings from the Sea World area. You landed on a great forum to expand your knowledge and form friendships. Drive With Extraordinary Care <~~~~~ Winter Park traffic signs
  20. DrTim

Things you don't see anymore.

I remember the "megaphone" root beer container well. I have a large A&W mug that is still being used for root beer floats only. I was drinking from the megaphone back in the 60's and my best friend walked by and tapped the end of the container with his hand. Impaled my upper lip onto my...
  21. DrTim

Pioneer PL 516 Veneer question

That looks interesting to work with. Looking forward to seeing it on the table.
  22. DrTim

Vince. What did you decide on for the veneer? Most of what I have done is in walnut or cherry. Just a tip from my experience. What ever finishing method (rubbing oil or stain) you choose, stay away from going to dark. I started out using a dark walnut Danish Oil on the walnut veneer and...
  23. DrTim

I have veneered 8 PL-5XX series turntables over the last 2 years including a PL-516. I use 24'' Inch x 8 Foot Veneer Rolls with 10 Mil Paper Backing from Rockler and have had great success. An 8 foot roll is enough for three turntables if you manage the cutting right. They might have 24x48...
  24. DrTim

SX-737 Need Help w/ Power Supply & More

Bingo!!!! You nailed it Tjerk. Pulled Q1, tested bad. Replaced it and ALL voltages came back to spec. Thank you very much for your help. I really didn't want to take a shotgun approach. Next time you are in Orlando, I'll buy the beer. Thanks again.
  25. DrTim

SX-737 Need Help w/ Power Supply & More

No way around it, I screwed up. When changing dial face and meter lights, I turned on the power to check if they were all working. They were. Then a loose metal shroud that I didn’t secure slipped down and contacted with either Pin 6, 7 or 8 on the power amp board. Slight spark, blown 3 amp...
Back
Top Bottom